• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Caught in big weather events

Several years ago It was a typical New Year's eve when my wife and I hosted an early evening dinner for my voyageur canoe race team. We live off the eastern end of Lake Ontario, famous for very heavy snows from "lake effect". Up until then it was a practically snowless season. I have a single room small hunting camp I inherited located in the heart of the heaviest lake effect region of all. We were planning on spending the night there, and we left my home in two trucks and a Prius vehicle at around 8:00 PM in a fresh light snowfall. Less than an hour later we arrived at an inn and red neck bar, very popular and usually overcrowded with snowmobilers, where I have to park my car in the winter and then cross country ski two miles on an unmaintained road into the camp to shovel accumulated heavy snow off the roof at least three times each winter. Now snowing ever more heavily, driving on the way to the inn, twice we had to pull the Prius out of snow too deep for it to get through on the road. Finally at the inn, I was surprised there were no cars or snowmobiles parked and no partying going on, how unusual for that heavy drinking place to be closed on such a usual party night.

So we donned our skis and snowshoes and loaded pulk sleds with gear to spend the night and next day at my camp. I normally ski in on an unplowed road for 3/4 of the way, which is usually well packed down by snowmobiles, then cut cross country through an untracked swamp/ wooded field. That day and night there had been no tracking in the snowy road because until then there had been no snow to ride on. So at first the snow was ankle deep, then deeper and deeper as we progressed after starting out around 10:00 PM. Growing up in the area, I have rarely been in snow coming down at a rate as thick as heavy as 5"/hour. At that density there is more snow than air to breath. Taking a deep breath can give you a chocking sensation with the fluff in your throat. Deeper and deeper, up to our knees and then up to our waist and higher. Skis or snowshoes or bare boots, it doesn't matter, It feels like you are sinking while swimming through the fluffy light unpacked stuff. We took turns sending someone out ahead to pack a rough trail 50 feet at a time for those following with our gear. it was a full moon above the clouds, so enough light filtered through to minimally see where we were going. There is a single house about half the way where old Adam S., a Polish immigrant, once lived. But it had no electricity, no lights. Becky wanted to break in for us to shelter, but we were not in any real danger at that moment of our travel, so I vetoed that idea. My coat cuff was caked with ice so I could not see my watch and had no idea what time it was. Shortly after we noticed the sky getting lighter with a quarter mile yet to go. I pulled back my frozen wrist cuff to see that it was now after 7:00 AM. We finally reached the camp, still intact and crashed for a few hours of rest. it had taken us over nine hours to travel two miles. The next day the snowmobile groomer came through and we had an easy well packed trail for our relatively rapid exit. Later, we had just one word for the experience: "Epic".

1702048809929.png

1702048848377.png

Last edited:
Wow, many of these stories are amazing! I have nothing so dramatic but a few interesting events.

Once in northern Saskatchewan, we had an 18' canoe that was pulled up on shore and turned over (but not tied down) picked up and blown onto the lake by gusts from a nearby thunderstorm. It landed upright and was heading for the opposite shore when we jumped into the other canoe, which was tied up but still down along the shore, and we were able to retrieve the wayward canoe. Fortunately, the wind was gusty and wasn't blowing consistently or I doubt we would have been able to catch it. An unloaded 18' canoe has lots of freeboard to catch the wind.

Another time we were camped with another couple on an island in beautiful weather. We had a very nice evening sitting around a campfire with a glass or two of wine. It was so nice we didn't even put up a ridgeline for our tarp. Putting up a ridgeline is one of the things we normally do as we have found that by doing so, it keeps bad weather away - much like putting on your raingear will keep the rain away. Anyway, it was a glorious evening and we went to bed with much of our gear not under shelter (again, not something that we normally do). The weather gods were watching our foolishness. At about 4:30 in the morning we all woke up when very loud thunder crashed almost overhead. Oh oh! All four of us leaped out of bed, realizing our foolishness at not following our usual habit of putting the camp to bed. Clad in very little we raced to put up a tarp line, tarp and gather our scattered stuff before the storm broke. We were able to get our stuff under shelter and not get too wet before the storm got serious. A lesson learned and not forgotten.

Big weather event. That reminds me of being on the Chesapeake Bay around 1963. We were on a week long trip on the Eastern Shore over by Kent Island. My Mom was at the wheel when we hit a submerged log and bent the drive shaft on the old Chris Craft. The prop was mangled. The boat had a Chevrolet 283 in it. We flagged down a tow to a local marina. We were about 40 miles from our home marina which was on the other side of the Bay. My Dad negotiated a ride with a guy in an old Bay built work boat. They agreed to take Mom and Dad and the three boys across the exposed mouth of the Bay. The wind started to build. We were making about 8 knots in a displacement hull with an old diesel. The wind was off the port beam. We rolled all the way across the Bay in large white caps. The boat was plenty seaworthy, but it pitched and rolled badly. The motion and fumes got to the other family on board. Everyone of them including the captain were puking over the side. No one in my family got sick. It is an odd feeling out there in the big waves with no land in sight. We got home safely. Thanks for the ride.

Last edited:
I bought my 15'x28" 40# lapstrake canoe.

Tangent: I'm impressed by the low weight. We were talking about lapstrake construction in some other recent thread.

How much wind is required to blow away a canoe?

I was not there for the hurricane, but I talked several years ago to Joe Tompkins, the former owner of the Ocklawaha Canoe Outpost in McCoy, Florida, where I used to stay overnight in my van and from whom I used to get shuttles, about how his big fleet of rental canoes and kayaks had survived one of the hurricanes that hit the area in the early 2000's. I asked why the winds just didn't rip his wooden canoe racks right out of the ground or otherwise damage the racks and the canoes.

Joe said he had had the same concern. So, he took his dozens of boats off the racks, put them abutting next to each other flat on the ground, open side up, all tied together with ropes, and then he filled every hull with water from a hose. The plan worked. The winds could not lift or blow away that massed tonnage of tied-together and filled canoes.

But the danger and adventure wasn't over. The hurricane had knocked big trees down across the Ocklawaha, resulting in dangerous sweepers for his canoe rental business. Joe knew the government tree crews wouldn't be getting to his river any time soon, so he took it upon himself to saw all these sweepers to pieces with a giant chainsaw while standing in a canoe. Unfortunately, the high waters capsized him and entangled him in a sweeper with his head barely above water. He held on for a very long time before some sort of powered boat came along and rescued him. Joe lived but lost his $1,000+ chainsaw.

Joe once paddled solo the entire Mississippi River, along which he grew up, and also has solo paddled from Florida to Bimini with no GPS.

Joe twice refused to shuttle my Kevlar/carbon outrigger canoe because he was afraid (unnecessarily) that he would damage it on his trailer, which was okay because I also had my Mike Galt Lotus Caper.

River Rise Florida.JPG

Frustratingly, the lock on my white theft cables got jammed. Not to worry. Joe had a bolt cutter handy.

Here is a picture of Joe at Gore's Landing after he had shuttled me there, another picture of Joe and his lovely wife Val, and a 2007 newspaper article about them and their business.

Joe Tompkins at Gore's Landing.JPG

Joe-and-Valerie-Tompkins.jpg

Great memories, my old friends, and I hope the sun and god are shining upon you wherever you now may be!

Trees snapping in hard weather can be scary. One exploded from a lightning strike across the street, it sounded like cannon fire. One of the scary moments I experienced in police work was going through the woods in a snowstorm, hearing limbs snap above.

Back