• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Carp River May 14-15 2013

Reaction score
Carp River Mackinac Wilderness (northwest of St Ignace, Mi)
May 14 and 15, 2013
River Flow: Unknown (fast to paddle up and back)
Group Members: solo

I had high hopes for this wilderness area. This was to be a four day solo trip of canoeing and a lot of exploring hikes. I arrived late in the day around 6:00pm so I decided to car camp the first night and get an early start the next day. I had passed up breakfast had camp apart and the canoe packed up by 8:30am. I knew there were no portages on the river so I packed a couple of extras that I normally would not have.

Me ready to go.

I was making good time up the river and made the rapids by 10:00am. I did not really know what to expect here as the flow had been more than I had in mind. I actually had planed to set up camp before the rapids but could not find a suitable place to get out. I made it through the first two with little problems. The third was a lot. I was also hungry and thought passing on breakfast was a mistake. With a little effort and planning I made it through. I was glad to have the double paddle. After the rapids was the confluence with the North Branch.

Main river to the left, North Branch to the right.

The river has really tall banks that drop off quickly into the river. At this point I was looking for a place to get out and scout around for a camp location. Just after the confluence I found some dead fall to lodge the canoe into and step out. I see I am not the first one to check this spot as a camp. I pull out enough garbage to fill the grocery bag I had stuffed in my bags. I had an image in my mind of the perfect camp and the point at the confluence was not it. I get my new found garbage and myself back in the canoe.

The confluence from shore.

After paddling another half hour or so I find a nice bend in the river that I can get out at. I decide that this is where I will spend my three days. I set up the tarp first and make lunch. As I am making lunch I start seeing ticks crawling up my pant legs. After lunch and about 20 ticks later I decide this is not where I want to spend three more days. After lunch I pack up the canoe and head downstream back. I reach my car and decide to head else where.

The paddle back down.

One of the sets of rapids. Looks smaller going downstream.

On the paddle back downstream I think about other plans. Since I have to head to Munising, to meet up with my friends and I know it has been to cold for bugs there, I headed to ranger station in Grand Maris to see about a two night permit for Grand Sable Lake.

I can deal with most bugs like flies and mosquitoes but I can not stand ticks. They get into everything and you are still finding them days later. All in all the Carp River through the Mackinac Wilderness is beautiful for a day trip downstream as long as you do not need to get out of the boat.

Nice looking river, but I can understand about the ticks. Too bad, but you always have to have a plan B and I hope yours worked out.
Thanks for sharing those pictures and story.

Ticks are increasing everywhere. What were your tick avoidance strategies..Permethrin treated clothing..long sleeves? (you seem to be suited up in the picture). 20 ticks is a lot! I'd be out of there too.

Just want to find out if permethrin works or not.

Yellowcanoe-
To be honest, ticks are new to me. Last spring was the first encounter with them for me. I do not know anything about permethrin. I always wear long pants but have never treated them. As for shirt I started in a jacket and long sleeves. When encountered it has always been in the heat of the day and am down to a wearing short sleeve moisture wicking shirt.

Robin-
I had a plan B and C. As soon as get around to it I will do a trip report.

Kaine

I can deal with bears, blackflies, mosquitos and even the dreaded No-see-ums. But tics...yuck....Satan's spawn.....Deer populations are moving into our area of northern Ontario, and with them, tics. I hate tics, we had them in abundance in Nova Scotia, I hope our cold winter has slowed them down. I don't blame you for high tailing it, 20 tics on me would have sent me swimming.

Back