• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Carbon on sale

Alan Gage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for some carbon fiber Soller composites has the standard 5.7oz. cloth (plain or twill weave) on sale for around $20/yard in a 50" roll. I'm not sure what their regular price is but this is nearly 1/2 what most places are selling it for right now. I've ordered from them a couple times and always been happy. I just ordered enough to hopefully get me through a couple big projects I have in mind for winter.

http://www.solarcomposites.com/composites/compositecarbon.html#3K

Alan

Do I detect a Bloodvein ll ?

That is some good pricing, as I paid more for S-glass !

Which weave did you order ?

Jim

While we're on the subject of supplies, What resin are you using now days ?
I've been watching Northwest Canoe's videos, and I believe Dennis is using Adtech. It sure seems to go on good, and he lays extra layers of cloth, right over wet resin. Seemingly without difficulties.

Jim

PS now I'll have to order more cloth ! Thanks !

Last edited:
I'm still using Raka but have been thinking of trying Adtech as well. I like that I can get it from Express Composites in Minneapolis. Price looks good. I wish the fastest hardener had less than 15 minutes working time. That means I'd have to keep some RAKA around too, which is a different mix ratio.

I haven't had any problems with Raka but the Adtech low viscosity laminating resin has me curious if it will wet out multiple layers of cloth easier, especially at the lower show temps that come with winter.

Alan

I haven't studied the Adtech info yet. But a six gallon kit seemed reasonable. I would have liked to try in on my Kevlar. Being able to lay a layer of cloth on while the previous cloth layer was still wet, appeals to me ! Should get by with a lot less resin too. And that really appeals to me !

We'll have to do a little brain storming. I need help on which hull to do next !

Jim

. I need help on which hull to do next !

Jim

I think you should built a little 12-13' rockered hull so you can play in your new whitewater park. Would be a good boat for sloughs too.

Even though there isn't any whitewater around here I think a hull dedicated more towards moving water would be fun. I can think of a couple 3-4 day river trips in northern Minnesota that would be well suited to a 14' hull with a good amount of rocker. It would be neat to have something more playful.

Alan

For a youngster like you, that would be good ! Whitewater is more for looking at my age !
That wiggle across Okoboji we did,(which I thoroughly enjoyed!) got me wishing for a pedestal seat, to make kneeling better.

I am itching to build !

Jim

Alan and Jim: you guys are forcing me to build another boat...OK, maybe not forcing, but certainly making me think real hard.
Maybe a double layer of that sale priced carbon, with a layer outside of 6 oz glass, all wrapped around my red Kite, then stiffened wherever it needs it. Of course, carbon over foam gunnels too.
The carbon alone is the same as what I would spend for cedar!! Besides, MDB has been pushing me (for a while now) to try a full composite hull. Guess I better order that carbon before it's too late.

It's been a while since I've been around the forum. I've been meaning to post on this thread for a while. I've used adtech epoxy on a couple boats. It's nice resin. It goes on clear and is fairly thin, so it wets out nicely. I used the slow and it sets SLOW. Every time I use it I'm afraid it won't ever set because it takes so long. It can actually still be slightly tacky hours later, even overnight if the temps are low. That makes it perfect for all composite canoes when you are laminating several layers. I usually wet out my Kevlar extra thick and then when wetting out the s glass layers I don't actually add much resin. Just squeegee the extra resin up into the glass. From the tech specs it seems to run right with most other epoxies. I've used another brand that claims to perform better but it doesn't wet out clear (for strip builders). The only thing I don't like about the adtech is the mix ratio. I prefer the 2:1s and I always measure weight to weight instead of by volume. The adtech was the first epoxy I used and the pumps that came with it broke very early into the lamination. I haven't trusted epoxy pumps since.

Hi Muskrat
I've been wondering where you've been.
That's the kind of information I wanted to hear. I want to play with Adtech a little.
I've NEVER trusted pumps to meter my epoxy. I use marked plastic cups.

Just ordered carbon fiber from Soller. It will be awhile before I start building again . I'm having too much fun paddling this Fall !

Yeah, I've been working on a chemistry formulation for a new product launch and trying to make a batch of whiskey for my friends wedding. There hasn't been much time for canoe related interests. I did get to go out this last weekend for one last trip. It was nice to escape it all and clear my head. I have a job offer to mull over now too, to move to North Carolina, so I have to consider that for any future canoe builds here.

You can't go wrong with the adtech. Anything that Dennis at Northwest uses is top notch. When I use marked cups I like to measure out by weight in water first in a cup in a cup. Mark the lines on the outer cup, and when pouring resin and hardener just make sure to put a fresh cup into the marked cup. I hope that makes sense. One of the beauties of the metric system, 1 gram of water equals 1 milliliter of water.

I might as well put this here while I'm at it. I've also been busy watching my KC Royals in the baseball playoffs. Sorry Canadians.

I might as well put this here while I'm at it. I've also been busy watching my KC Royals in the baseball playoffs. Sorry Canadians.

Don't be sorry, it is apparent the Royals are the better team, but they still need to win one more against the best offence in the league...

I have a job offer to mull over now too, to move to North Carolina, so I have to consider that for any future canoe builds here.

Muskrat, getting way off topic, I don’t know western NC very well, but eastern NC is a day trippers paradise, with a fair number of paddle-in camping possibilities.

If it’s eastern North Carolina this book is the one. Paddling Eastern North Carolina

http://www.amazon.com/Paddling-East...=1-1&keywords=paddling+eastern+north+carolina

And if your are close enough to the border, same author, Canoe Kayak South Carolina

http://www.amazon.com/Canoe-Kayak-S...ASgmGxL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107,160_

There’s a lot of water in the eastern Carolinas.

I received my carbon fiber from Soller last week...

So did I. Then today I decided to order another 12 yards. Hope the boat building buzz sticks around for another couple years so I can get it all used up. :rolleyes:

Alan

Back