• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canvas summer tent

Reaction score
Now that my serious "portage" trips are behind me and weight on a trip isn't a factor, I'm thinking about going with a canvas tent for warm weather camping. I could take my small wall tent, but it needs a good mosquito door sewn in the front and it has no floor.

I saw this one on line, $300 is a good price, about the top of my budget. Its small, and not light, a lot of guy lines too, but it might be just what I'm looking for. https://whiteduckoutdoors.com/collections/bell-tents/products/8-regatta-bell-tent

Any suggestions?

ScreenShot2020-11-16at11.11.29AM.png

I like it. I would fit a tennis ball or rubber boot on the end of that center pole to protect the floor cloth. Is this tent a little small and tight area-wise?
OTOH The 10 foot size looks roomy but at 51 pounds might be a beast to haul in and out of the truck. This 8 foot 31 pounder could be the answer.
Also, are you pondering fitting a wood stove in this? That would be interesting.

Last edited:
Robin,

I too went to a canvas tent for our long river trips and I like it a lot. Your selected tent seems to be priced fairly.

I went with the Robens Fairbanks tent out of Denmark and we Love it.....

I would like to see more overhang over the door so you can leave it open in the rain, but I don't like being closed in. It does have windows though. Do you think it will be that much more manageable that your wall tent to make it worthwhile?

Thanks VernAK, did you get the wall tent from Robens Fairbanks.

I would like to see more overhang over the door so you can leave it open in the rain, but I don't like being closed in. It does have windows though. Do you think it will be that much more manageable that your wall tent to make it worthwhile?

Thanks Al, I'm ok with lack of overhang, but I agree it could be better.

For warm weather camping my wall tent would work, it has a rear window with screen, but building a front screen with a door that is bug proof would be above my skill level. By the time I invest in a screen door, tight floor and a new tarp for it I might be better off with a new canvas tent.

I haven't been in a cotton canvas tent other than big semi permanent ones like at scout camp since I was a kid when we had only canvas tents. I took a peek at these and was immediately put off by two things. First on their site they used a term that I despise, "Glamping". That is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me for some reason. Second, the weight is a thing that I am just programmed to avoid after years of UL backpacking and bike touring. Maybe I am unreasonably obsessive about that when there won't be much or any portaging, but I have gotten so used to my gear that I tend to just take my UL gear even on car trips if I am going by myself. My bias probably isn't completely logical.

OTOH, I got to thinking how nice these tents would be as a hunting camp. I also wondered about whether they might suffice as a second home/summer cabin. We have considered buying a piece of wooded land in another state to spend time on away from home. I could see one of these being a good cabin substitute. It could be set up quickly, is pretty inexpensive, and hopefully would last fairly long before needing replacement (at which point replacement isn't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things). The downside I see is that they are subject to damage by vandals and intruders when unsupervised. Due to that, setting up and taking down each trip seems like a good bit of a chore for this usage, but may be necessary between trips. With a raised floor and permanent stakes left in the ground setup would probably be really fast and comfort enhanced.

Robin - My one concern is at 31 pounds, how much of a pain would it be to take it down and pack it if it's been in an all night rain. Honestly, the weight would be a detriment to be me; even if I didn't have any long portages on my itinerary.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I've always thought those baker tents would be pretty cool. I've never actually been in one, but I like the wide open entrance space. You can get this one in 7 ounce cotton too, so it would be very light. https://www.atuktents.com/en_baker.php

Well I was gonna suggest that to Robin since that is what we use now in the summer! Ours is a 7x7x6(at the front) I think it is the best style of tent for the summer! It would benefit from having a internal frame like a Snowtrekker, for ease of set up but still it ain’t bad and man they are comfortable to sleep in!! Huge porche like entrance to put your wet stuff and a solo camper like Robin could go with the smaller size and still be comfy!!

Robin - My one concern is at 31 pounds, how much of a pain would it be to take it down and pack it if it's been in an all night rain. Honestly, the weight would be a detriment to be me; even if I didn't have any long portages on my itinerary.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I don't mind the weight, even if I camp on a big lake up north and move camp a few times it's worth the extra effort to be in a canvas tent. Just something I prefer at this stage of the game.;)

AE903C4A-A1D7-4DFD-9760-00424245C68C.jpeg
I also like the idea of a Baker Tent for summer use. This image is of our Woods canvas wall tent, which we set up for our winter enjoyment. It is 10 x 12, with 3-foot walls, and 6.5-foot centre height. I include it in this thread because of its weight. At 48 pounds, and cumbersome, it is a challenge for me to lug it around without Kathleen’s help. Of course, I’m old and on the small size. I think I would also find it to be too much work to lug around a 31-pound tent. I certainly wouldn’t want to be dragging it up and down steep banks.

I also didn’t like all those guy lines of your tent, Robin. I’d be tripping over them all the time! But that’s just me.

I've always thought those baker tents would be pretty cool. I've never actually been in one, but I like the wide open entrance space. You can get this one in 7 ounce cotton too, so it would be very light. https://www.atuktents.com/en_baker.php

I slept in one with Mike Hurley, no floor or mosquito net and trip wires (guy lines) all over the place, too much like sleeping "back in nam", haha, but then again I saw a real nice one at the Maine Canoe Symposium a few years back that was a solo. It had a floor, mosquito net and still lots of guy lines, that was nice.
There are a ton of plans out there to build one, maybe.

PaddlingPitt;n119316 I also like the idea of a Baker Tent for summer use. I also didn’t like all those guy lines of your tent said:
I agree, the tent has too many guy lines.

I haven't slept in a canvas tent since Boy Scout pup tents 60+ years ago. But I'm genuinely curious: What are the advantages, functional or aesthetic, of using a canvas tent in warm weather?

What are the advantages, functional or aesthetic, of using a canvas tent in warm weather?

No advantage at all, just aesthetic. My little solo tent is going to be retired, I have a nylon Timberline 4 person but since I won't be portaging anymore I'm thinking why not canvas.
I just like everything about canvas tents and 30-40 lbs means nothing to me. I like taking care of my gear like wood canvas canoes, canvas packs, wooden wannigans, but I don't get too excited about nylon tents and tarps. Coming home with a wet canvas tent and packs and taking care of them to prevent damage is fun to me.
I bet I get as excited over leather and canvas as Mike gets over mini cell and epoxy.
I like camping in my small canvas wall tent and if it had mosquito netting and a tight floor I might just use it in the warmer months. I still might use it if I don't find what I'm looking for.

I like this one but I'm not sure if it's available, and at over $700 it's out of my league.

28863.jpg

The Campfire tent is the new improved version of the baker with a floor and bug netting. There are plans to make one in Masons "Song of The Paddle" that could be an option.

I have a canvas tent with a plastic floor and I think the canvas is a blend, it doesn't have the same feel as my other canvas tents, with that plastic smell and the fabric seems less breathable. Thirty pounds is reasonable if it makes you happy though. I would go check one out first if possible.

Glen, my cotton campfire tent really excelled in the heat of the Everglades where I had previously roasted in a nylon one.

So someone sent me this link for a company named Beckel Canvas out of Oregon. https://www.beckelcanvas.com/contact-us

If you scroll down on the link you can open a nice catalog. My friend bought a front screen from them for his wall tent and he has had good success with it keeping the pesky bugs out, along with a floor tarp. He even used it on a smaller wall tent and it works well. That's pretty much what I would need to do in the beginning.

So maybe I can use my wall tent for summer camping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00477.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	119351

Last edited:
I have a canvas Baker tent set up in the backyard campsite for Thanksgiving. We will be cooking on Dutch Ovens with a fire in front of the tent. I have added a windbreak on the west side using an old canvas tipi liner. It is the 11 foot model. A smaller 9 foot model would be good for traveling. This tent has no floor or netting but is fine for our country out here in the drier West. It would not be that hard to add mosquito netting for the lake country. It has a smoke hole for a small stove.

I believe this Baker is made by Crazy Crow Tent co. It has canvas ties all along the ridge and the sides, as well as the edges of the front flap. It makes it easy to set up with poles found on site or you can carry some made up ones.

It is the same concept at Bill Mason's Campfire tent. Light and airy with a view. Good for nearly all climates. For real cold the flap needs to be closed. But then water is frozen and there is no canoeing. I grew up with a Baker tent. My Dad took us out of school to go deer hunting in the fall. We always brought a bale of straw to sleep on.

Back