• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

canvas damage and repairs needed

My old Seliga,needs a new canvas job, I am wondering what a professional would charge. I am pretty sure that I would have to take it a long ways out of Alaska to find someone that knows what they are doing, to get it done right. I had the canoe stashed back in the boonies at a secret fishing hole that also was the site of my moose camp. Not so secret as I had thought, someone found and used my canoe, but didn't put it back in it's spot, up off the ground covered with the brown tarp. They left it upside down on the ground, the canvas rotted on tips at both ends. I paddled her home, with duct tape patches, She's safe, but not so sound, hanging in my horse shed out back now.

Mr. Birch I got some quotes, the going rate back East is one hundred dollars per foot for a completely recanvased and finished canoe. It is a lot of money but probably not unreasonable for the amount of work that goes into it, compared to a ding on your car that will cost 1500.00 bucks. It may be cheaper in Canada or Maine.

You may want to contact Larry Fogelson, head of the Ak. chapter of WCHA. He may know someone who can help you do it yourself. You can get his contact info at WCHA website.
The next question is how much would it cost for a first timer to do it themself, including all material and tools needed. In my case for an 18 foot boat. Just a ballpark figure will do.

Including shipping of materials and tools maybe $600 or $700. Shipping of heavy stuff is a bear these days. This doesn't include stripping the old varnish and re-doing etc.

7 yds No. 8 Canvas - say $120
Filler - 2 gallons ($150 plus shipping) you will have half a gallon extra.
Primer - say 2 quarts @ $35 ea.
Paint - say 1 or 2 quarts @35 ea.
Varnish
Sandpaper
Sandpaper
Sandpaper
Sander for sandpaper
Sawhorses
Stainless steel staples or monel
Staple gun
Upholstery pliers
Come-a-long
Canvas clamps made from 2x4s
C-clamps or other.
Utility knife
Paint rollers, brushes, thinners etc.

I am sure I forgot something.

Cheers,
Fitz

Thanks Fitz, that's a little higher than I thought but I already have some of the stuff. I also spoke with a professional restorer, Dave Satter who is not far from me across the Delaware River in N.J.who can supply me with everything I need. I may pay a premium but it could be offset buy not paying shipping. I also like the idea of supporting the local guy and would be more likely to call him for technical advise if I bought the stuff from him.

If you get the book "This Old Canoe" it not only covers complete restoration, he gives you a formula to make your own filler at a fraction of the cost. I tried it and it worked well.

The sandpaper is mostly for the primer and paint. I do go over the filler with 100 grit or so, but filler cures very hard and the sandpaper just scuffs it some. This is why the filled canvas skin is so durable. I like to use a high build primer on the filler and that usually involves a lot of sanding and two coats before paint. Robin is right, you can make your own filler and save on cost and shipping. There are also a bunch of old recipes here:

http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php...fillers.10044/

Nice video Robin. I have an OT Guide 18 from 1951. It has on many trips in the last 30 years. I just took the canvas off. It is starting to feel really heavy at 90 pounds dry. I am getting close to 70 and have now started paddling a 51 pound OT Canadienne in kevlar. I took the old wall tent to Yosemite last Nov with the wood stove. That is living.

Nice video Robin. I have an OT Guide 18 from 1951. It has on many trips in the last 30 years. I just took the canvas off. It is starting to feel really heavy at 90 pounds dry. I am getting close to 70 and have now started paddling a 51 pound OT Canadienne in kevlar. I took the old wall tent to Yosemite last Nov with the wood stove. That is living.

Thanks ppine, I can only image what a trip to Yosemite and living out of a wall tent would be like. I'm happy with the opportunity's I have had here on the east coast but traveling out west would have been a great change.
Good to see your hat hanging on the nail again.

Greetings fellow paddleheads. I don't know why I waste time on forums with people that don't understand the traditional ways.
I need to replace some ribs on the Old Town. I will probably glass it. The new cedar OTs now come with canvas o iberfrglass and cost the same. I have a lot of experience with fiberglass and none with canvas.

Fall in Yosemite is quiet. There are plenty of yellow and orange leaves mixed in with the magnificent conifer forest of Jeffrrey pine, sugar pine, incense cedar and white fir. The days are warm with cool nights, but little frost at the lower elevations. We sat around a campfire under the full moon with a 350 year old Jeffrey pine. Later I would put a shovelful of coals from the fire in the wood stove, and retire to the 40 year old wall tent. I read John Muir, lying on a cot, listening to the snap and pop of the stove. The shadows of pine branches danced on the canvas in the moonlight and my dog was at my feet.

Last edited:
Back