• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Canoeing knife?

I like the steel in the Opinels, but havn't taken one on a trip lately. I carry a gerber LST legend which is cheap, has a 2.75 inch blade and is thin enough to be comfortable in my front pants pocket. That knife goes with me everywhere. When I'm on a trip I recently started wearing a Helle Hellefisk around my neck. It has a cork handle and floats and very light around the neck. The blade is thin and flexible which prevents it from being an all around do everything knife.

I think everybody should have some Moras, they are the best value out there.

This thread has had me checking out knives for days online, and you how one thing leads to another. I'm now viewing knives that have no prices in their catalogues.

Deering Knives http://deeringknives.com
Cosmo Knives http://cosmoknives.com

Check out a few of those. It's moving away from a good knife to a fine piece of art that can slice a hair in half...lengthways

That Damascus steel is something to behold.

Interesting video comparing some nice knives and the convex grind as opposed to the Scandi Grind. Worth a watch if you are undecided on a knife.

Just got an Opinel this past Christmas from my son, so far I think it my new tripping knife.

Attachments

• 1434371258780331005141.jpg
    1434371258780331005141.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 0
No Title

Check out EBay for some old classics. I got this Herters version of the Canadian Belt Knife for a fair price. Carbon steel, flat grind.
I currently carry it as a neck knife.

Attachments

• photo2340.jpg
    photo2340.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 1
The parentage of that Ka-Bar really jumps out. The Esee knives are now available in stainless steel I was thinking of buying one of the Izulas as my PFD knife.

How do you get on using a firesteel with that coated blade? Apologies if you addressed this points in your video, watching at work with the sound down!

I watched the review by Virtuovice that found the material used in the Ka-Bar sheath was actually taking the edge off the blade. Not great

virtuovoice has some very interesting videos. It was his video that I forgot to link to in my earlier post about the Convex v. Scandi Grinds

BV,

I stored the sheath my knife arrived with and only use the Kydex sheath to help avoid dulling the blade edge. The back or spine of the BK-14 is used to spark with the fire steel. While the powder coat does protect the knife from rust, it will be removed by using the fire steel. Some people remove the entire coating on the blade as they feel it causes too much friction when spiting wood and feathering.

Back