• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Canoe Tripping Across the Planet Earth in an Old Town Katahdin Under Captain Bod

Reaction score
Greetings fellow canoe trippers, hope you have all had a great festive period, mine was unusual and i'll say no more on that :rolleyes:

New Years is right around the corner, personally i am totally looking forward to it and have many great plans, even if only 10% of them come to fruition it will be a good year, anyhoo i just finished my latest video and thought i'd drop a thread over here with some of my usual mad jibberish as an intro

Alone into The Five Ponds Wilderness

As always full plain English subtitles are available in the video menu.

If you like it then please hit the like button, if want more stuff like this tap the subscribe one too, if you want to help things turn professional for me then take a look at my Patreon page your support would mean the world to me.

Wish you all many great adventures big and small in 2017 :cool: hope you all have a great one, i know i will

Nice way to usher out 2016, going for an autumn canoe trip, thanks GG.
I too "can't remember to bring the camera, can't remember what I saw without it, but I hate living behind the lens."
Best wishes in the New Year GGTBod.

I just watched it also, your tears of joy while entering the wilderness where moving, glad you left that in. It was nice to see the Bog River once again as the snow fly's here at home.

It was hard to leave that bit in, didn't know i was gonna leave it for sure until i pressed upload to Youtube and then went to bed, woke in the morning and it was live, now i'm glad i left it in

It was the best thing i could have done in the last couple of days to lift my own spirits editing up that video, when i hit the raw vid of the emotional bits i had tears of joy running down my face sitting here too, couldn't have relived it better in a star trek holosuite

The next morning i woke to a really bright sun and the world was filled with orange, more orange than i have ever seen in my life, so i grabbed my camera and took a walk up the portage between Hitchins Pond and Low's Lake to build an appetite for breakfast and take it all in

great to see this footage. amazing how quickly the landscape can change from early autumn colors to our freezy winter wonderland in just a few days. cant wait to actually get on the rest of Lows lake. I posted your video on my Facebook so my family can see it. I am going to post the couple of pics i took to show the contrast in weather.

Aye Dave it was that first night of heavy snow that brought all that orange down with it, i remember noticing the transition of noise through the trees change overnight, a 7mph wind rustles through trees covered in orange and green leaves, that same 7mph wind ripped and tore through them very same branches the next night and trees were dropping left right and centre adn people were calling out to rach other to see if everyone was still alive n crap, effin awesome, holy crap man then trees coming down i just got goosebumps as i typed it

Thanks for watching and giving some feedback Snapper, it's currently so bleak here I am living in my raw footage (dark by 3,30pm and not light again until 8.45am), there were times i was paddling the Dacks with a camera fixed on the bow just recording constantly, i've been having this stuff running on a 55inch 4kuhd monitor in my main room almost constantly when i am in the house

GG,
Thanks for posting those videos.
As much as I enjoy the winter here, and especially the snow (no puns, I live to ski back country), it's wonderful to see the water still soft and the brilliant leaves on the trees.
If you had enough time, you could have explored through the woods a bit, there's still many remnants of Lows complex hiding among the trees.

I did find remains of loads of stuff like smoke houses and smoked fish processing building, i figured all the 'plantation like' trees in perfect rows was all about producing the wood for the smoke houses, i read loads of info boards here and there in the area which were showing the smoke houses and stuff but it didn't show where they were or when they went into ruin

Well i have now been in the wilderness for 11 days, 4 days of this alone and i have not seen a single other human being since I parted from my Dad at the dam four days earlier, the dam is about 6-7 mile away via canoe and it is a 12 mile drive to the nearest town and 4.5hr drive to my fathers house, the only transport i have is a canoe, but as you can imagine being English and having not seen any natives for the last 4 days i have basically subconsciously claimed everything in sight in the name of the King (have we English got a king still/yet?), it's a genetic fault that gets a little more diluted in us all every generation, so excuse me whilst i have a wee rant about the mess someone left my house in before it was my house, you might all need the subtitles on for this one :D

Then you will love this one Odyssey thanks for sticking with it, had a few hiccups that got in the way of getting what i wanted to get done, all sorted now though.

When you're alone in the wilderness you sometimes find moments of true peace, it is at times like this when I feel I could stay in nature indefinitely

At this point I have now been in the wild for just 11 days and this is my fourth day alone and i am getting very comfortable. I have 10 days to go until my pre-arranged pickup and i am trying to savoir every minute, in the back of my mind i know all too well it will be like the blink of an eye and i will be back in my little UK city center apartment and it will be like this was all a dream

I am completely alone and have not seen a single solitary other human being since I paddled away from the dam four days ago, the dam is about a 7 mile paddle from this spot.

Egads man! I've swum in pools smaller than that mug of tea! Must be the perspective. (Having a Father Ted moment.)
It must have been all peace and serenity, to forget what day of the week it was, with a smile on your face. Nice.

My tea cup holds just under half a quart, th secrets of my survival are slipping out now
Buddy, you're sipping from the tea pot. lol.
Thanks for videos GG. I'm procrastinating going outside to shovel another few inches of snow. And then going to work. Think I'll do some more virtual paddling in the Adirondaks first.

Back