• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Canoe trailer

Reaction score
Building a canoe trailer from an old Jon boat trailer for a friend. It will be pulled by a 15 passenger van. Any idea on how far from the tongue the canoe needs to be so it won't hit the van when turning? Right now an 18.5 foot canoe is only about 2 feet behind the hitch.

Is it safe to assume that the finished trailer will be capable of hauling more than 1 canoe (IE: not entered on the tongue)? I have mine set up to haul 2 per layer (up to 6 total), I keep them back 3 feet from the tow vehicle and have yet to hit one (yes, I'm knocking on the coffee table).

Extend your tongue, especially for long cruisers. I have been hauling an 18 footer on a trailer for 20 years. Three feet is much better for clearance.

I set it up to haul 4. I figured at least 3 feet, but unless I extend the tong the long canoes will have to be off center. Hopefully this will not be a problem.

There is a lot of personal and perhaps professional liability attached to modifying a trailer frame so I'd be leery of doing that if it is avoidable. I suggest that you look at the line between the center of the trailer ball and the nose of the longest cane that would be carried. Then evaluate how sharply the towing vehicle and trailer would need to be angled for the vehicle to hit the canoes. Don't forget that the higher the canoes are it is more important to allow for the trailer and vehicle have sufficient clearance when they are at sharply different angles such as when the vehicle starts up a steep driveway transition (and most especially starting up a steep transition while turning sharply) and the top or top corner of the tall van (pickup truck cap or ladder rack etc) is swung much further rearward than is normal. Putting the longest canoes on the lowest racks helps with that.....

Best regards to all.

Lance

Here is my trailer.
6D8CDA86-DAC9-4BC0-BA75-0510766208CE.jpeg
This pic was from my move to Maine. As others have said on centerline I load pretty far forward. It’s hard to see but just forward of the spare tire is a black line made from electrical tape. If I load two boats they must be at or behind that line. That line is located by measuring from the ball to the edge of the truck if it was a smaller car it would be different. This is made from an old boat trailer, the tongue is unmodified. Anyway just more fodder and another way to do things.
Jim

it's easier to extend the tongue than it is to repair the canoes....
easiest way to extend the tongue safely is to cut off the hitch, leaving at least a foot of the original tongue there, get a piece of slightly larger tube, drill holes and either plugweld it to the original with more welding where it overlaps (best way), or add some 3/8 #6 bolts with lock washers or nylock nuts, then install a new hitch sized for the bigger tongue, you may need to install angled bracing if it flexes too much. I've done it on several utility trailers and they're all still going, one is approaching 30 years of use.

Great job by sweeper. That is a great looking rig. I bought a commercial canoe trailer for around $1,000. It has tiny wheels and has leaf springs. On rough roads it wants to bounce in the air. If I had it to do over again, I would buy an old boat trailer and take it to my brother's place which is set up for metal work. This is very cool.

I think longer tongue trailers are easier to back up. Small sample size, as I have only backed up one short tongued trailer, but it did not want to go where I wanted it to. Never had any problem with the 100's of different boat trailers I backed up that were long tongued. Much easier to see in the mirrors too.

It might be easier to find a larger used boat trailer. I bought this one for $75 and cut a couple, three feet off the back

I like how it looks to be easy to remove if you had to.

On the other hand ?Why would anybody want to !

Yes nice rack ! And Old Lab !

Jim

Thank you for all the responses and especially the photos. I apologize for not replying sooner, I have been working 12's trying to get ready for upcoming BWCA trip. I would like to extend the tong, but it will have to wait. I found a hitch extension that will push it back 18 inches. Never thought of putting the longest canoe in the center. That will work perfectly as the other 17 footer should be no problem behind his van. About 90 percent done. New race, bearings, tires, lights, coupler.
canoe trailer.jpg

I've got a 4 x 8 box on my trailer like Boatman53 has. Great for hauling gear and plenty of room to sleep, if you have to.

Thank you for all the responses and especially the photos. I apologize for not replying sooner, I have been working 12's trying to get ready for upcoming BWCA trip. I would like to extend the tong, but it will have to wait. I found a hitch extension that will push it back 18 inches. Never thought of putting the longest canoe in the center. That will work perfectly as the other 17 footer should be no problem behind his van. About 90 percent done. New race, bearings, tires, lights, coupler.
filedata/fetch?id=115049&d=1596842351

High, Dry, and away from Road rash that flies up !
Plus you can keep an eye on it !

OH ! Those bottom racks not so good. Raise them.

They will catch road Rash, and interfere with backing.

Just make it a Twofer.

Great build !

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,
Even with the fenders, the bottom racks are to low? Is it from the towing vehicle?

Unless your bottom canoes are at least half the width of the truck, from the hitch ball ? When you make a sharp turn (close to a 90*) you risk canoe damage. Evan if you put two canoes on the top rack ? You will likely have trouble with backing a sharp angle. Now that you have it built ? See how it backs.

Yes, the majority of Road Rash will come from your vehicle. My son bought a new trailer, to haul a 4 Wheeler. First trip and the front of the trailer was peppered by small road gravel. I'd hate to scar up that nice NorthStar !

Here she is with the 18 inch hitch extension. Turned her as sharp as it would go and still had a foot and a half of clearance. She rides really nice with the weight of the three canoes.

Attachments

• photo16871.jpg
    photo16871.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 1
OK ! Testing tells the truth !

The canoes look to be riding higher than I thought !

Sorry for my Alarmist post !

Jim

If anyone were in the market for a custom trailer not built by yourself and were near to western Canada, this place in Alberta has options up to 24 places for canoe trailers. I did speak with them but just prior to corona and well, even a bare bones unit for myself was a bit pricey. I'm sure I can build something for myself that will suit.

https://www.northwoodssporttrailers.com/4-place-trailers.html

Karin

Back