• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Canoe Themed Beer

Reaction score
We have a local store called the Belmont party supply. It is kind of a dive but was carrying micro brews and foreign beers before it was the cool thing. It is locally owned not a national or regional chain. At one time their claim to fame was the 5th largest beer selection in the world. Because it is the other side of town from me now I do not get there as often as I used to. I was over that way yesterday and stopped in on a whim. I took snapshots of the first 3 canoe themed beers I saw. The first two were domestics I was familiar with. The third was an import from Canada that I had not encountered before.

Attachments

• photo9244.jpg
    photo9244.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9245.jpg
    photo9245.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9246.jpg
    photo9246.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 1
I tried the first and third. Had the Canadian one many years ago on a paddle trip. think it was the Oswagotchie up in the Adirondacks with Indian Chris, or was it New Jersey Mullica. Kicked my arse. Hope he chimes in. I'm not an IPA fan but like the pic of the left one. Tell you the truth, I like the middle pic also. Wouldn't mind having a large painting of each.

Maudite is eight percent ETOH.. Not a session beer! Weve been able to get all the Unibroues from Quebec here in Maine for a very long time. However Ontario beers...Is beer made in Ontario?. All I get at the Beer Store is crap.
There I have stirred the pot.

This one from a local microbrewery.
http://mainetoday.com/eat-drink/beer-muse/new-brewery-saco-river-plenty-paddles/

Good thread. Reminds me we have to take a growler back there for refill.

Last edited:
Your archetypical Ontarian...Mem... drinks BLite. Pretty much says it all. Karin usually snags the only case of Export in Ear Falls when we are there. I wouldnt mind one of those split cases of O'Keefe Ale and Cinquante, but it would last me for years. Maybe 6 of each?

We have an empty Maudite bottle on the mantle as decoration.

Christy

We have over 90 craft brewers in Ontario. As the "Beer Store" is owned by the big 2, true Ontario micros are not found there. You'll have to to the LCBO or some Loblaws stores to get a great range of good micro beers. I'm from Ontario and just for the record BLite is not a beer, it's one tiny level above soda pop. On the other hand, I have been told that's not a nice thing to say about pop.

I think we had something we got in North Bay at Sobeys. But I ferget what beer it was.. Craft brews are the rage.. especially IPA's. Last year we had 77 microbreweries in the state. 34 in Portland alone.
The issue here is not all breweries have bottling facilities. Some only are in tapped kegs for pour into growlers. Others share brew facilities with other brewers.
We had a heck of a time at the LCBO in Kakabeka Falls. Had nothing that wasn't Lite something or other. When pressed the owner said he only had space to stock what he could sell and his customers wanted Lite.

I would really really like to try this from Publican House in Peterborough ON
http://www.publicanhouse.com/our-beers/paddlers-ale/

... just for the record BLite is not a beer, it's one tiny level above soda pop. On the other hand, I have been told that's not a nice thing to say about pop.

My mother used to drink Olympia Gold, on ice, in public. She switched to Bud Lite when it went out of production. Didn't Oly Gold advertise that it had 70 calories? That's probably half as much as a real coke.

Oly must have been the cheapest beer around. Back in the early 90s there was a bar in Wasilla, Ak where the patrons bought Oly for a moose. I saw a picture of it drinking right out of the can. Supposedly it turned into an alchoholic and didn't end well for it.

Allagash Brewing Co. is a canoe themed company. Their Belgium White is fantastic.

https://www.allagash.com/beer/white/

nope.. Its nothing to do with canoeing. Worse the brewery is in Bayside an industrial part of Portland. I dont care for any of their brews save Black and 16 Counties
My favorite beer is a smoked rauschbier from Penobscot Brewing.. Another river famous for canoeing but the brewery has none of that vibe. Its in Winterport. To be fair they do have a brew named Happy Camper
http://winterportwinery.com/brewery.asp

nope.. Its nothing to do with canoeing. Worse the brewery is in Bayside an industrial part of Portland. I dont care for any of their brews save Black and 16 Counties
My favorite beer is a smoked rauschbier from Penobscot Brewing.. Another river famous for canoeing but the brewery has none of that vibe. Its in Winterport. To be fair they do have a brew named Happy Camper
http://winterportwinery.com/brewery.asp

I also like the Allagash White, but they do deserve some demerits for calling themselves that when they're a good 5-6 hour drive from the river.

Have to try that Winterport stuff sometime.

I think we had something we got in North Bay at Sobeys. But I ferget what beer it was.. Craft brews are the rage.. especially IPA's. Last year we had 77 microbreweries in the state. 34 in Portland alone.
The issue here is not all breweries have bottling facilities. Some only are in tapped kegs for pour into growlers. Others share brew facilities with other brewers.
We had a heck of a time at the LCBO in Kakabeka Falls. Had nothing that wasn't Lite something or other. When pressed the owner said he only had space to stock what he could sell and his customers wanted Lite.

I would really really like to try this from Publican House in Peterborough ON
http://www.publicanhouse.com/our-beers/paddlers-ale/

Wow! 34 microbreweries in Portland?!?! I have not been up that way in at least 15 years. My brother and his family are moving to Portland this Summer. I'm looking forward to visiting and sampling some of those microbrews!

Mike

http://mainebrewersguild.org/all-brewers/

Note Kennebec River Brewery
Lake St George

I suggest some side trips like to Oak Pond... Skowhegan.. In an old chicken barn ..

Anyway enjoy some late winter early spring beer planning.. Here is a map to help.. Jibes nicely with some canoe trips Sadly nothing near the Allagash

French19 Kanu reminded me of memories when we first started canoeing when they mentioned old aluminum canoe.. Unfortunately these days I go for dark ales.

I try to listen to a regular radio doc every Saturday morning whenever I get the chance. (http://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence) It is about advertising; it's history and influences in our society. Far more interesting than that sounds. Ha. I forget far more than I manage to remember, much like everything else, but find the programme fascinating, the stories incredible. When I stand as a gullible naive consumer in the store aisle I wonder how much self control and wisdom I'm bringing to this cat and mouse game of shopping. Often a lot, but okay, sometimes none at all. Sometimes I'll reach for the colourful packaging like a kid sitting in a grocery cart. Hmmm, do I want the beer with the canoe on the label, or the one with the voodoo mask? A couple summers ago our son hosted a roof shingling party. Strip, underlay and shingle in one weekend. It was work but fun as a family and friends thing. What a feeling sitting on top of the neighbourhood on a sunny autumn afternoon with grandkids and kids nailing, chatting, laughing. Our son and wife supplied the meals of course, and after work every day a cold keg of beer. He chose a popular label with a tractor on it, and even splurged on tractor hats and tractor beer glasses for all us workers. The beer tasted better with a tractor on the label. I can't prove that, but after a warm day on a hot roof it sure felt that way. Don't ask me what tractors have to do with roofing, but for some hot sweaty sunburnt reason it made perfect sense at the time. I guess you had to be there. Really, we could've used the help.

Last edited:
I haven't sampled every beer that has a canoe label; probably never will.
Have tried a few; they were ok, but my overriding thought was they were overpriced.
I would have been just as satisfied buying a six pack of beer without a canoe label that costs 2 bucks less for a six pack.
Have noticed the same thing with bottles of wine. Way too often the label is a heck of a lot better looking, than the wine is tasty.

That's just my opinion.
I have the same opinion about coffee that cost 5, or 6 bucks a cup.
They don't even ask you nicely to bend over............
In the final analysis, I don't give a hoot in heck about what people pay for what they drink.
However, some people might consider rethinking the concept of a real vs a perceived need.
Your money; your option.

BOB

PS In the same line of thinking; does anyone really need a canoe that cost in the ballpark of $3,500.00?
I wouldn't pay 35 hundred bucks for a canoe that had decking, thwarts, and a seat made by vestal virgins!

Last edited:
Back