• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Canoe Safety

G

Ok.... most of you know the basics. I'm just opening my eyes in this world and I found this interesting and informative. One thing my old man always taught me was "luck favors the prepared". Sage advice, I say. For me, this is a good video. Hopefully it will help another greenhorn just coming here as well.

Also.... let's use this as a nice tutorial to learn how to post a video. Don't laugh, a lot don't know. The more we know, the more we grow, right?

Step 1) Find a video you like. ( I use youtube. Let's face it, they are the silverback gorilla of videos these days, but there are others).
Step 2) Copy/paste the link. While this is an easy term, some simply don't know what it is. That is when you use your mouse, hover over the link of the webpage ( for example, this homepage here is http://coanoetripping.net ). You use the right button of your mouse and click "copy". Fair enough? We'll get to the paste soon enough, no worries.
Step 3) The little bar at the top of when you post here is called a toolbar. There looks like a little film-strip piece up there. You click that with your left/normal mouse button. It open up a new box in the center of your page. Go ahead and try it, even if you don't have a video. Just hit cancel and it goes away.
Step 4) The paste. Hover your mouse cursor over the box that is blank in that little window and RIGHT CLICK again. Choose "paste". BOOM! There is the link from the other webpage now. See? Copy and paste. Click ok now and it publishes the video you want us to see.

That's it! One and done. 4 simple steps and you can throw videos all over the place and let us see what interests you. Go ahead and try it. Let's use this page for practice if you want. Some of you may know how to do this. For some of you, this will be a first time thing. Don't be shy. There's no damage to be done in any motion and only good will come of it. Matter of fact, we'll all get to see some good videos here and enjoy ourselves.

Here's my first post for you guys to see. Feel free to add to it. I need to learn what you all know, after all! Thanks!

ok.... but is the reason of that "flick" to keep the craft pointing straight? It's assumed and viewed in the video, but he never fully says.

Simply put, yes, the flick is the business part of the correction stroke. When paddling solo, or from the stern, the canoe will usually turn to your off side, that is to say, the side you are not paddling on. The correction stroke will keep the canoe going straight. Some of the excellent paddlers on this site will come forward and tell you a correction stroke is not necessary, but for most of us unwashed plebs, the correction stroke is a solid part of our skills. Many people start with the simple goon stroke, which is a prying motion, similar to the J Stroke, but using the non-power face for the pry. The thumb stays up. Clear as mud?

ok.... but is the reason of that "flick" to keep the craft pointing straight? It's assumed and viewed in the video, but he never fully says.

Go to 0:28.

He knows what he's doing, but I find it odd that he says to trim the boat stern down.

Last edited:
Back