• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Canoe rehab

Reaction score
Picked up an old, Old Town Camper a few weeks ago as a "winter project". Couldn't wait till winter so I pretty much started on it right away. It had / has some good points and some bad....

The good is that it's a royalex 16' Camper that i'll be able to solo instead of my big 17' OT Tripper. I bought it as a project canoe but in hindsight, likely paid a tad more than I should have, you win some and you loose some.....

The big gamble on this canoe was what was hiding beneath a previous repair. How bad could it be I thought :)

You win some...and sometimes you don't

I don't have any experience repairing holes in royalex canoes (or fiberglass for that matter) but I figured what the heck. The only thing I wasn't going to do is sink much more money into this project. Fortunately I had some left over epoxy, a littly bit of light fiberglass I used on paddle blades and a left over piece of Kevlar from making skid plates.

On the good end of the canoe I made a mold of the curve out of paper mache. I moved the mold to the damaged end and applied a few layers of fiberglass from the inside and the a couple more on the outside to try and rebuild the missing section. This actually worked out ok. I then covered the entire section with a skid plate. Looks like crap but it should hold.
I also picked up a couple 10' ash boards and made up some new gunwales.

The cain seats on this gem of a canoe were shot too.

The seats I fixed up by reversing the frames, drilled out holes and laced in nylon rope that I had on hand. The decks are made of butternut. I still have to make some grab handles and make a slight change to the deck but I'll get to those later along with cleaning up the hull a bit but otherwise it's ready for the water.

Good job on the rehab. After all it is only a plastic boat.... Really looking good with the wood work!!

Picked up an old, Old Town Camper a few weeks ago as a "winter project". Couldn't wait till winter so I pretty much started on it right away. It had / has some good points and some bad.... You win some...and sometimes you don't

I don't have any experience repairing holes in royalex canoes (or fiberglass for that matter) but I figured what the heck. The only thing I wasn't going to do is sink much more money into this project. Fortunately I had some left over epoxy, a littly bit of light fiberglass I used on paddle blades and a left over piece of Kevlar from making skid plates.

Dayum, frugal me likes it in a use it up, wear it out or do without mode. That’s quite a nice job on the “sometimes you don’t” missing stem with available shop materials.

I paddled an OT Camper with a kid in the bow for 10 years. Yeah, it’s a plebian flat-bottomed Old Town, but it will float on next to nothing, flat spin a gentle eddy and provide enough initial stability to stand up and walk around in the hull. If you don’t have a need for speed it makes a decent bow-backwards solo with some trim weight up front.

Great canoe to start you down the epoxy repairs rehab road.

Wood trim makes everything look better ! Just my opinion.
One thing about buying a banged up canoe, at least for me, once you fix it, you don't worry about banging it up again.
Looks like flat Snowshoe nylon in the seats. Incredible stuff.

Jim

Back