• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

canoe outfitting bar has been raised

We tried kinda similar set ups a couple different ways.

With a wide 17’ canoe with a sea kayak outrigger and 2.5hp Suzuki motor. The concept there was to motor deep into the Everglades and then use the sea kayak for further exploration.

First test run or that rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPErEihIaes&t=12s

And later a 20’ long x 40” wide canoe with the same motor and a 1 man tent platform with extendable sponson floats for stability as a “live aboard”. The concept was to create a live-aboard motor canoe that would not require a site permit for Everglades use.

PC160118 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Both worked as designed once on the water. But ashore, getting them into and out of the water, and assembly time where huge drawbacks. Too much assembly and disassembly time, and the canoe/kayak outrigger was impossible for one person to drag ashore out of wave or tidal reach (and re-launch), even on a shallow sandy beach.

I don’t see how that Grumman with dual outriggers and side platforms could be transported or even launched intact, so some assembly required. I guess, once assembled, you could tie it off with springlines between two docks and leave it there for the season.

Or just buy a used pontoon boat.

condition: like new
engine hours (total): 2
length overall (LOA): 18
make / manufacturer: Grumman
model name / number: Sternback
propulsion type: power

"I don’t see how that Grumman with dual outriggers and side platforms could be transported or even launched intact..."

Sternback is right.

condition: like new
engine hours (total): 2
length overall (LOA): 18
make / manufacturer: Grumman
model name / number: Sternback
propulsion type: power

"I don’t see how that Grumman with dual outriggers and side platforms could be transported or even launched intact..."

Sternback is right.

If it can be put together it can be taken a part. Much like a cataraft, it is a boat built of component parts.

We tried kinda similar set ups a couple different ways.

With a wide 17’ canoe with a sea kayak outrigger and 2.5hp Suzuki motor. The concept there was to motor deep into the Everglades and then use the sea kayak for further exploration.

First test run or that rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPErEihIaes&t=12s

And later a 20’ long x 40” wide canoe with the same motor and a 1 man tent platform with extendable sponson floats for stability as a “live aboard”. The concept was to create a live-aboard motor canoe that would not require a site permit for Everglades use.

PC160118 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Both worked as designed once on the water. But ashore, getting them into and out of the water, and assembly time where huge drawbacks. Too much assembly and disassembly time, and the canoe/kayak outrigger was impossible for one person to drag ashore out of wave or tidal reach (and re-launch), even on a shallow sandy beach.

I don’t see how that Grumman with dual outriggers and side platforms could be transported or even launched intact, so some assembly required. I guess, once assembled, you could tie it off with springlines between two docks and leave it there for the season.

Or just buy a used pontoon boat.

And I have no idea how Joel manhandled that thing on the trailer. I couldn't even lift one end of. it.. Best with a winch and tow eye.

If it can be put together it can be taken a part. Much like a cataraft, it is a boat built of component parts.

Yeah, I get that.

some assembly required

What I was ineloquently wondering was - how long does it take to assemble that rig at the water’s edge, or even if it can be assembled at water’s edge, or if it required floating assembly?

I can’t see that being a fast process, and spending an hour of erector set tinkering before getting out on the water, and another hour of disassemble on return would put a kink in my day.

For overnight trips it is no big deal. Raft trips typically involve the same process.
No so handy for a quick paddle after work. Then you can just bring the canoe by itself.

Back