• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Canoe Lining Bridle

Reaction score
Has anybody else used this system for lining. I use a section of rope attached to my painter line with a prusik knot. When you need to line just attach the bridle and then slide the knot to the bottom of the canoe. This can be carefully done even while the canoe is loaded and in the water.

Attachments

• photo2357.jpg
    photo2357.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 16
  • photo2358.jpg
    photo2358.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 15
  • photo2360.JPG
    photo2360.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
safest way- it puts the force right at the waterline. Putting it at deck height causes a teeter totter effect, which with a hard pull can swamp the canoe or pull the deck off

i use a similar set-up, run a loop from one seat to the other under the boat, double-back to a looped knot directly under the keel-line -- using a single length of rope -- the prusik is cleaner...

you don't want to line from the decks or the painter rings in any sort of moving water... the boat will roll like a log when you can least afford it...

Last edited:
Thanks PA Tripper! I've been thinking about different lining rope options and I didn't even think of using the prusik to adjust the position. I was too focused on fixed knot options under the hull.

Good idea. That is the best way to line in rough water. The prussic really helps keep the line where it belongs.

It helps to practice and experiment ahead of time with rope texture, thickness and the number of wraps in the prussik knot.
I have researched a lot of old and new canoeing books and I have never seen this system in print. I've seen it used in Maine and it always seemed to work.

I learned it in the Yukon.. We were on a guided trip and got a tow the last 90 miles down the Peel River.. We had seven canoes and the tow canoe was a big leaky freighter canoe. With a tail that long it was essential all remained right side up/

Back