• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Canoe Kit ????

Reaction score
I was in the REI store in Fairbanks yesterday and saw this canoe hanging on the wall. A young lady told me she thought her uncle bought it as a kit many years ago.
Uncle was about to throw it in the landfill so she took it to the store for display.

There's a lot of canoe experience on this site and I hope someone can enlighten us as to what/where/when these were around or from.
canoe.jpgcanoe interior.jpgcanoe interior.jpg

This looks like a Trailcraft canoe which was sold as a kit. See the links below for more details.

Benson

I can't be positive, but that looks very similar to the canoe I built in the basement of my dorm while I was in college.
That was a long time ago (1968?) I can't remember all the details about the canoe. All I can remember is I saw a
"build your own" canoe ad in the back of Outdoor Life. The kit contained everything you needed to assemble the canoe. I assembled it in the laundry room of the dorm. It took up the entire room so no one could use the room to wash their clothes for a month. I remember it was very stable, tracked well and was good to fish out of. A friend borrowed it and by mistake backed over it with his truck totally destroying it.
Seeing that brings back great memories, thanks for posting.

Definitely looks like a Trailcraft my brother and I built in late 1960's, except for the rounded seat. Probably a modification.
Here's a picture of it being dismantled to be used for decor. The floor boards are missing.

Attachments

• 0618171511a.jpg
    0618171511a.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 6
Definitely looks like a Trailcraft my brother and I built in late 1960's, except for the rounded seat. Probably a modification.
Here's a picture of it being dismantled to be used for decor. The floor boards are missing.

DPHeider, welcome to site membership!

Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. How to do that, and how to use many other of the site's technical features, are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

What do you paddle now?

Back