• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Canoe designs for a small person or child

Reaction score
My eight year old daughter is showing interest in paddling and requested a solo canoe of her own. I obviously would like to encourage this, but I’m not sure what hull would be best. I would like something that she can handle on calm days (with my wife or myself along side) and something she won’t outgrow anytime soon. She also has expressed interest in freestyle canoeing from videos we have watched. I’m not sure if that will stick, but exposure by lessons would be interesting for her. My question is what canoes/design would potentially be a good fit? I am considering building this for her this winter. My thoughts on rough dimensions are 13-14’, 26”ish beam at gunnels, moderate tumble home, shallow arch bottom, 11”s deep in the middle and 15”s at the stems, symmetrical design, and 2”s of rocker on each end. The rocker is my big question. Would this be difficult to track for a youngster? Would less rocker in the stern provide a more paddle friendly hull without compromising reverse paddling if she does get into freestyle paddling?

I had a long conversation with David Yost at the assembly concerning positioning and calculating tumblehome and design in general which is helpful, but I have no experience with hulls made for anything other than tripping.

Suggestions and insights into a smallish canoe for a small person are appreciated.

Bob

Tom MacKenze used to build 10, 11 and 12 foot models for kids. Two inches of rocker fore and aft and the kids learned how to make them go straight with very little adult lecturing. If you can find a Blackhawk Shadow in that length they work well.. The Mohawk Solo 14 is a great kids tandem canoe.

Remember kids do not need a long canoe and a 12 footer can fit a petite adult quite well. Too much skin can be frustrating when the wind comes up if the kid does not have the horsepower to overcome that friction.

Here is my grandson at age five in a solo canoe. The young Lady is graduating to single paddle.. She was four.

Attachments

• JoeyinToySept08.JPG
    JoeyinToySept08.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Tom w kids at Keuka (2).jpg
    Tom w kids at Keuka (2).jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 11
Maybe a Woodstrip Watercraft Teal model?
http://woodstrip.wcha.org/index.html
It says plans are available for the Teal and the description seems to fit the type of canoe you are talking about. I have no experience with these canoes but had bookmarked this when fantasizing about building a strip canoe.

Maybe a Woodstrip Watercraft Teal model?
http://woodstrip.wcha.org/index.html
It says plans are available for the Teal and the description seems to fit the type of canoe you are talking about. I have no experience with these canoes but had bookmarked this when fantasizing about building a strip canoe.
Al Bratton's Teal might require a little downsizing.. He made that for his wife Jean who is 5 foot tall and 100 lbs.. Now kids do get taller and presumably you would like it to last a few hears.. BTW kids do not mind paddling heeled over.. And their favorite game is Lets Capsize!

Back