• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Canoe Atlas of the Little North

Sorry for the confusion, I have the atlas, looking to trade for a used Duluth Pack. Atlas is $95 0n Amazon, $164 on Abe Books

It's a really neat book. Hope you find someone willing to trade.

Alan

I scoured it very closely when I got it, and it was amazing how unchanged the routes were in my area from the time that they were documented in the atlas. Even though ports had completely disappeared, after we re-established them, they were right where the atlas said they would be, which I guess is not that surprising in hind sight. When we opened up the Onaman River, I found a geological survey map from 1900 when the ports were being used regularly, and it was one of the most accurate canoe maps I had ever seen. When the atlas first came out, there was a huge stir in the canoe community; not so much anymore apparently. If I didn't already have it, I would snap that up instantly. It is a book of dreams, even if you never go to the places in it, you can plan many trips.

What were your plans for the Duluth pack, it seems like your kit is pretty complete,

That's correct, I have more than enough Duluth Packs, but I have kept them in excellent condition and I plan to pass them down to my children when the time comes. They all have canoes and do weekend family trips when time allows in their busy worlds.

While the book is an outstanding resource for northern Ontario canoeing, non of my kids will ever really be interested in it. They know how much I love my packs and I know they will always be well cared for, so adding another pack to the rack and passing the book on to someone who might be interested in it seemed like a good idea..

My FIL recently passed and when cleaning out his belongings I found some items he truly valued yet I couldn't find anyone interested in them. I passed them on to a local volunteer thrift shop hoping someone might be able to use them.

Last edited:
Back