• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe Atlas Of The Little North by Jonathan Berger and Thomas Terry

Reaction score
Canoe Atlas Of The Little North by Jonathan Berger and Thomas Terry - 2007. The Boston Mills Press.

This is a canoe trippers' tome covering the region the authors have paddled north of Lake Superior, east of Lake Winnipeg, west of James Bay and south of Hudson Bay. An intriguing overview of natural history, geology, climate, vegetation, wildlife and historic land use is given before discussing the 7 canoe travel regions comprising 1) Superior Highlands, 2) Southern Shield, 3) East Winnipeg, 4) Northern Shield, 5) Transition Zone, 6) Hudson Lowlands and 7) Tundra Coast. NTS maps at a scale of approx. 1:400,000 (derived from 1:250,000 series) cover major river systems, their tributaries and coastal feeder rivers, all annotated with points of interest, portages, rapids and difficult sections. I can find no acknowledgement of the artist(s) who provided the many pen and ink, and coloured drawings throughout the book. They are invaluable, lending a tripper's journal feel to each chapter. They not only illustrate vistas and points of interest, but also perfectly capture the "Aahhh" moments we all feel on canoe trips.

NOTE: I offer my apologies to the authors for any offence in reproducing the following pages of this fine publication.
Some of the photos are not mine. The better ones are borrowed from my fellow Marshall trippers, Robin, Rob, Karin and Christine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	canoe atlas.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	88984
Click image for larger version  Name:	rivers.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	88985
Click image for larger version  Name:	land use.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	88997
Click image for larger version  Name:	land use.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	88997

I've known of the Little North Canoe Atlas for years, but had never so much as glimpsed a copy. Nakina falls within the regions covered by this atlas, and so when my own introduction to this beautiful wild land was provided me and my wife in 2015 ​​​this book was never far from my mind. The camaraderie shared with our good canoe friends on the Marshall Lake trip assured the Little North will always be in my plans as long as I can lift a paddle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2 Chums.JPG Views:	1 Size:	170.0 KB ID:	89003
Click image for larger version  Name:	2 Chums.JPG Views:	1 Size:	170.0 KB ID:	89003
Click image for larger version  Name:	Kap river.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	89004
-----------------------------------

Finally, and most importantly,
I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my good friend Robin for gifting me this book of paddling plans- tripping dreams. This is a big deal to me.
Thank you my good friend. Here's hoping there's plenty of trip reports of cold handle pan pickerel in my future in the Little North!

Last edited:
I just got my copy of the Atlas of the Little North last Thursday (after a 9 month wait) - it was worth it. The front half of the book, describing the environment, geography and other aspects of the region is as fascinating as the atlas maps in the 2nd half.

Many hours of pleasant winter daydreaming are between the front and back covers of that book. Well worth the cost and physical space it takes up. Enjoy your new book, Brad.

One a somewhat related note (pleasurable Canadian maps) the Real Berard maps of Manitoba or a real treat and treasure as well for anyone not familiar with them. Works of art as well as preserving long used (and in some cases nearly forgotten?) Manitoba canoe routes.

Article on the map maker here:

And Maps available here:

I know I'll never paddle many of the areas he mapped but I bought the whole set years ago just for the enjoyment of reading the maps.
In addition to the route map itself they contain his artwork and essentially his trip report of what they saw along the way while making the maps from first hand experience. Old trapper cabins, old traps hanging in trees, artifacts, and other odds and ends will be marked on the map.

Alan

Back