• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Canoe Art: Paintings, Sketches, Sculpture, Architecture

When is a pack basket and w/c canoe art? When it's displayed as décor in a hip pizza place in a nice little town.
Took my wife out on a date night for her birthday, and amongst the eclectic antiques scattered around this eccentric space I noticed ...

olde canoe.jpg

My shaky hand on my phone is down to human error, nothing else.

pack basket.jpg

Maybe next time we're in there on a date night I'll ask if any of their "decor" is for sale.
Happy Birthday baby, here's to many more.

Last edited:
My wife and I went to downtown Rockland last evening for the first Friday art walk, a fun time, wine, hors d’oeuvres, nice art and conversation. A friend of ours did this watercolor, it’s hanging in the gallery now.
Apologies for the ghostly reflection from the glass.
BD29B75E-491C-4D9A-9306-4C536D40E788.jpeg
Jim

"Canadian Rockies" (Lake Louise, Alberta), painted by Albert Bierstadt in 1889. Currently in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

Lake Louise Albert Bierstadt 1889.jpg

"During his travels in the American and Canadian West, Bierstadt made oil sketches such as this one, which he used, back in his New York studio, for reference in concocting the huge, carefully detailed panoramic scenes that brought him critical acclaim during the 1860s and 1870s. . . . Bierstadt’s sketches were themselves valued as fresh, direct records of the places he had visited."

Bangor city councilors and staff dedicated a new piece of public art along the Bangor waterfront on Friday that pays tribute to the Penobscot River and the thousands of years that the Wabanaki people have cared for it.

“Living Water,” created by Wabanaki artist and Hudson resident Steven Francis Hooke, was commissioned by the city to not only honor the river and the Wabanaki people, but also to help hide a 24-foot sewage exhaust pipe.

Last fall, Hooke created a 16-foot traditional Wabanaki canoe out of steel, and this spring, it was affixed to the pipe. Its nose points upriver, which Hooke says symbolizes the unwritten future.

Bangor-Steel-Canoe-on-Sewage-Pipe.jpg

Bangor-Steel-Canoe.jpg

A 16-foot steel canoe now points up Penobscot River on Bangor waterfront

I can supply a high resolution scan if you want to arrange with a T-shirt shop to make some. I may also be interested in buying one.

Benson
Please do! It may be relatively economical to make a low-quantity run of 20 or 30, I'll see what's available or achievable.

"In his work as an artist, Bill depicted the wilderness as benign, beautiful and precious, and he offered an alternative to the perception of nature as something to be feared, conquered and exploited."

Back