• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Canoe Art: Paintings, Sketches, Sculpture, Architecture

Nice one Robin. Looks like that beaver has been studying Becky Mason's heeled solo style of paddling.

Yes, That's my Chestnut Pal in the banner, an early morning portage in WCPP.

Murat V- didn't mean to diminish that really thought provoking canoe art you have presented, but I just couldn't resist a little smiley stuff.
I, along with quite a few others, enjoy your well researched informative posts. I go back and study some of those pictures, very entertaining, Thank You.

With new members around and winter closing in, thought we could restart this thread. Any canoe or tripping art would be fun to see.

Recently found an old illustration dated to 1904. It features an image of a hunter in his bark canoe with the his paddle propped up supporting the shot. Not a hunter myself so not sure if this is proper "technique". I thought it interesting that the artist correctly captured a carrying bar lashed over the center thwart which was common practice when portaging bark canoes to take the strain off the thwart lashings. There's also a wanigan box resting in the hull with the hunter's hat and pipe thrown on for good measure.

rodandguncanada1904_0320.jpg

Here's a closeup...

rodandguncanada1904_0320%2B-%2Bcloseup2.jpg

A great thread. Some of the old illustrations were used to sell rifles, ammunition and fishing equipment. There were on calendars, boxes of ammo, and showed up in old magazines. Remington did some good ones. Once in a while it is possible to find reproduction signs printed on sheet metal. They are great to look at but fade in the sunlight.

With new members around and winter closing in, thought we could restart this thread. Any canoe or tripping art would be fun to see.

Recently found an old illustration dated to 1904. It features an image of a hunter in his bark canoe with the his paddle propped up supporting the shot. Not a hunter myself so not sure if this is proper "technique". I thought it interesting that the artist correctly captured a carrying bar lashed over the center thwart which was common practice when portaging bark canoes to take the strain off the thwart lashings. There's also a wanigan box resting in the hull with the hunter's hat and pipe thrown on for good measure.

rodandguncanada1904_0320.jpg

Here's a closeup...

rodandguncanada1904_0320%2B-%2Bcloseup2.jpg

I think it would be good technic, especially in a canoe that have ribs, where you could put the tip of blade of the paddle in between ribs so it doesn't slip, and the upper part of the blade against the thwart, I'm sure it would work... But probably not in a modern canoe with its slippery bottom... I will have to try that ext fall when I go for our moose hunt. I always got my moose from the canoe, but not using my paddle as a "rest", That might change when I get my next canoe....

As far as shooting using a paddle to brace from, don't believe I'd do it. Especially if I was using his Winchester. Now-a-day's if you picked it up you'd think that it was muzzle heavy compared to a modern rifle. I don't know if they made the older guns with the thought in mind but that mass out on the end of the barrel sure helps to keep the front sight steady. You can see this for yourself by trying a black powder rifle, once you hang that long barrel out there, it sure is impressive how the front sight settles down. And with the Winchester's magazine stuffed full, there's even more mass to the front end.

About the paddle or no, most of the movement that might disturb his aim will come from the water/canoe movement. Without the paddle, his torso can act something like a shock absorber, nulling down the watery bobbles, leaving his sight plane relatively undisturbed.

So why did the artist draw it that way? The human eye tends to follow straight lines, imagine the drawing without the paddle being used, your eye is caught by the line and drama of the rifle and .....zooom! ........your looking at the moose. Which is dandy if you're selling moose! Now, I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that they want to sell you one of their rifles. So the paddle is included and see how the strong nearly vertical line arrests your eye and frames and keeps your attention on the hunter and his rifle.

Other days and better times....

Rob

Rob,
My Dad collects old Winchesters and I have a few of them. The old rifles with octagonal barrels really point with the weight forward. They feel like African double rifles and are easy to swing. Easier than any carbine. I like the guys technique. As long as he is in the boat solo and the water is flat, the paddle rest seems like a good idea. I believe the rifle in the drawing is a Model 1886. They came in some powerful calibers compared to all of the models before.

Wenonah has made a few tin signs over the years. I have a great one entitled "Together on the Portage" or something like that.

Odyssey - really dig those old illustrations. Never saw that "Raging Rivers" one before. Thanks for posting.

Interesting feedback about the paddle for a rifle support. Oldie, you are quite correct that the paddle's position draws the eyes to the rifle. They were trying to promote Winchester's after all. I just like how the artist captured the realism of the bark canoe construction. Must have either had an old canoe to work from or was an avid paddler.

PPine - Impressive that you can I.D. a 100+ year old rifle from just a grainy sketch.

Norton, your sign totally qualifies. Will we get to see a shot with the sign hanging over your canoe(s)?

Nice looking rifle yes but very generic. My 86 was just the way you described it ...easy pointing due to the long heavy octagon barrel. I had a couple of 92's that were the same. My 92 carbine that I sold last year was just a nasty hard kicking beast...way too light for the calibre. The all time favourite was a 95 saddle carbine...yepp, a real one. I should never have let that one go.

Can you tell my dad was a gun collector...lol.

Christy

I have a 94, in 38-55 saddle carbine built in 1896... Was my grand father. Shot my first two caribou with it. But now it is collecting dust. I use to have a 86 in 45-90, but never has a chance to fire it. I love those old winchester, I wish they would com out again with these great caliber like 45-90 or even 50-110(I think it was that) and sell ammunition for them!! Dreaming of course...

Hi Canotrouge, I seem to have a dusty memory of some company making and selling the really old brass. In my minds eye they had a photo of a 30-30 case standing amongst their offerings. Looked a lot like a collection of pipes from a pipe organ, with this little guy down in front! Of course they cost an arm and a leg but that wouldn't be so bad, no more than what you'd need to make a prized rifle a shooter again.

I expect that being an outdoorsman and all, that you reload, so you'd need a mold to cast the bullets to feed it. Several outfits make custom dies. Always was interested in paper patching, never got into it though.
Wonder if using Pyrodex would be considered beyond the pale? Well, if you didn't say anything, I'll bet the moose wouldn't tell.

It's always fun making suggestions on how to spend somebody else's money!

Best Wishes, Rob

If you're looking for loaded ammunition in hard to find calibers Old West Scrounger usually has what you need.

If you're looking to load your own ammo in a classic Black Powder Cartridge take a look at Buffalo Arms

Gentlemen,
Hanz eludes to some great sources for reloading equipment. There are some boxes of calibers like .45-90 floating around, but they usually cost around $50-60 a box. For many calibers, there is no choice but to make handloads for them. I have a Shiloh Sharps of Montana in .45-100. I bought a set of 3 dies for it from Buffalo Arms Co. of Sandpint, ID. Then I bought some resized brass made from .348 Winchester and some generic straight cases. You can use black powder, Pyrodex or the equivalent. The whole case is filled to the top allowing room to seat the bullet. A drop tube improves accuracy by settling the powder. Large rifle primers, and lead cast bullets complete the setup. "Nell" is surprisingly accurate. The heavy old slugs around 300-400 grains fly through the air like a bumblebee. They look ungainly but are very predictable. There is plenty of drop past 150 yards, but a vernier sight on the tang makes it possible to shoot the thing at long ranges. There are competitive matches out to 1,000 yards. Predicting windage and accounting for it is what separates the sheep from the goats.

I really like the old tin signs and have been a fan of western art for 40 years. I have two bronzes by Remington in the living room that I got from my Dad and one really good Russell print, entitled "Whose Meat". The Denver Museum of Art, the Cody Museum in Wyo, and several museums in Oklahoma City are among the best. There is nothing like staring at an original oil of Charlie Russell with a sunset or sunrise in it. Nothng.

Oldie moldy i don't reload, it crossed my mind many time, but to many things to do to little time. I don't shoot as much as I use to, basically a few rounds before the season, and then one or two to get my moose down... and I use my Ruger #1 international in 30-06 for that.

But a guy can dream... I should have kept that 45-90....
Cheers

My favorite is now an Alaskan Scout in 44mag as far as Canoe guns go...

AlaskanScout_zpsfe841668.jpg

And something more for the classical look to get it back to the "Art"

MaudStummVictorianCanoeLady_zpsba192d63.jpg

Thanks IceDragon. I've seen a few postcards from this "classy" period of canoeing. Very pretty.

Here's another magazine cover recently posted on Ebay...

Porcupine%2BCanoe%2BCover%2B-%2BHunting%2B%26%2BFishing.JPG

Anyone ever have a porcupine gnaw on their gunnels or paddles before?

Here is some pretty canoe art that also made a pretty penny. These two oil paintings by an unknown artist (circa 1850) were estimated to fetch between £25,000 to £40,000 at auction and went for a whopping £530,500 ($992 000 CAD at the time). Buyer is an anonymous Canadian...

CANADIAN%252B1.png

Mi’qmak Indians hunting Canada geese

canadian%252B3.png

Mi’qmak Indian camp on a bay with Mi’qmaks shooting Canada geese

More info here if anyone is interested.

Back