• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Can I rant?

Nothing really to rant about, just typical Manitoba Spring. Snowing today, as it has off and on the past couple of weeks. That warm spell in March had us all thinking of an early Spring but all the lakes are still frozen and white looking in satellite photo's so it may be a normal ice out year. Longer range forecast for the end of the week is into the 50's and 60's so perhaps if the nights stay above freezing we can expedite thaw for Marten's Manitoba trip in a month.

I’ll rant for shop visitor Joel. He paid a shop visit, slept in the club room and awakened on Saturday morning to that white fluffy stuff.

“I came north from Florida for this?”

We are moving on to motor canoe Mark II, this time trying the 20 foot Miramichi. We both think that a 19 foot Grumman square stern would be the ideal motor canoe freighter, but I’ve yet to see one for sale used in the areas I search. Joel might have better luck finding one this summer in Maine.

We are moving on to motor canoe Mark II, this time trying the 20 foot Miramichi. We both think that a 19 foot Grumman square stern would be the ideal motor canoe freighter, but I’ve yet to see one for sale used in the areas I search. Joel might have better luck finding one this summer in Maine.

Saw this picture from Savage River the other day and thought of the two of you.

10390951_1098067806919189_8528846911225230066_n.jpg

I recall Alan saying that all the aluminum canoes are in Iowa, so, perhaps a road trip is in store Mike.

Hey, I’d stop in Iowa on a trip out west. A 19 foot Grumman square stern with that 2.5HP Suzuki might be just the way to see Lake Powell.

With no empirical evidence I’d think the preferred habitat of a used Grumman 19 square stern would be Maine or northern Minnesota.

I have never seen one for sale locally.

there is a 17 foot Grumman for sale in New Portland ( which is nowhere near Portland). What are these, special snowflakes? A Grand for METAL

Hie you to Grand Lake ME and get yourself a proper Grand Laker.They are wood canvas with a square stern.

I have surveyed under the decks of all overwintering Grummans and metal look alikes on my lake. The sires and dams are too old to procreate but are resting infertile. These must have been the abandoned children of canoe parents who went to Iowa.

Not found a square stern yet.

I don't know if Iowa has more aluminum canoes than other places in total number but it's probably at the top of the list as far as percentages go. They are the defacto hull material around here. Anything else is looked upon with suspicion.

Minnesota is a hot bed of aluminum canoes as well but they also have a large percentage of fiberglass, kevlar, and other composites as well. Start watching Minneapolis Craigslist ads. If you buy something I'll pick it up for you and can deliver it to Paradise next winter. It's been too long since I've been down there.

Alan

Back