• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Camping in the rain

Reaction score
Do you prepare for and can you enjoy camping in the rain?

I have had both enjoyable and miserable experiences while camping in the rain. It often rains when I am camping and sometimes the rain storms are severe. With proper equipment and procedures I have learned to be comfortable and even enjoy the rain. Of course too much or too severe is a joy killer but I love the sound of rain in a dry tent at night. I never prefer traveling in the rain but when it is time to relax or eat I usually don't mine the cozy and protected feeling of siting under a dry tarp or shelter.

My key considerations:
1. Rain jacket and pants
2. Storm resistant shelters and equipment
3. Waterproofing and packing equipment for travel
4. Campsite selection and set-up

I don't mind and kind of enjoy the rain. I recall several times when making camp just getting set up before cloudburst, practically diving into tent, and greatly enjoying the rain. Played cards with my then young son during a prolonged storm - about 12 hours non-stop in Fish Stake Narrows. Recently watched storm slowly approaching across plains when I arrived and set up late at a state park - only one there. Didnt think much of it when I entered but drove across a small stream. Next morning, not so small.

Attachments

• IMG_20190619_072639.jpg
    IMG_20190619_072639.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 30
My wife and I took a trip several years ago during which it rained so hard one night that it woke us. The rain hitting the tent was too loud to carry on a conversation but with little or no wind it was pleasantly memorable. We sat out a light afternoon shower at that same campsite in a screen shelter. It was helpful that we had an accurate weather forecast and were able to pick a suitable campsite and get properly set-up before the rain. We were expecting rain headed our way so we traveled further the day before which allowed us to lay over and not have to travel while it rained.

Attachments

• DSCN0932.JPG
    DSCN0932.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0951.JPG
    DSCN0951.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0952.JPG
    DSCN0952.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 25
I really learned about rain in the Cascades of Washington. We were out in it at least several days a week all year. SE Alaska gets 150 inches of rain. I learned to dress right, Wool underwear and Filsons.

A decent tent. One big enough to stand in helps a lot. A rain fly to cook under and be able to look out is essential. In wet country there a lot of lean-tos, roofs and little cabins around to get out of the weather. Nothing like a good fire after a long day in the wet.

For longer trips a canvas tent with a wood stove.

meh, it's just weather, unless you're knee deep on a portage with darn near ice pellets slamming down.
I love plopping down by a fire with a good tarp over me and a good book or conversation while the skies open up, or walking a trail when all the amphibians and small animals are scurrying around, and fall tamaracks are almost magical the way everything around them takes on their golden glow.

I have learned that if exposed to rain long enough without a break while camping there are no procedures or equipment guaranteed to keep me comfortably dry. My goal is to stay as dry as possible for as long as possible in hope of the opportunity to dry things out when the weather clears. Water protection impacts comfort and enjoyment so I consider it a valuable skill which I include in my trip planning.

I find when it rains, I eat a lot and sleep a lot, which I can do at home.
When it's sunny I paddle a lot and fish a lot, so I prefer sunny over rain a whole lot more.
But, with a hot tent, I really enjoy hearing the rain on the roof while stoking the wood stove and drinking tea.
I think I'd rather be on the trail in the rain than home cutting the lawn on a sunny day.

GOPR3173 (1)_Moment.jpg

I find when it rains, I eat a lot and sleep a lot, which I can do at home.
When it's sunny I paddle a lot and fish a lot, so I prefer sunny over rain a whole lot more.

Yes Robin, sunny trumps rainy every time in camp.

My rainy day in camp agenda : " Eat til you're tired and sleep til you're hungry "

I was in Olympic Nat’l Park in early November years ago and it rained for 11 straight days. And nights. Not pounding rain deluges, but always at least a drizzle. Staying dry was impossible, everything got wet and stayed wet. I realized why I saw so many billboards for nail fungus remedies.

On day 11 I saw no end in sight and drove to southern Arizona to dry out. Getting across the snowy Cascades was an adventure, I had to go all the way south to Rte 50. Even that route, signposted “The Loneliest Highway in America” was a challenge after it flattened out. It blew sleet and snow sideways all the way to the Nevada/Utah border. I finally threw in the towel and stopped at a cheap motel. When I got out of the truck I thought I had a flat tire or some suspension problem. Nope, just a 3” coating of windblown ice stuck to one side of the truck, weighing it down cockeyed.

While paddling there is only so much you can do, spray covers and good raingear help. In the latter I really like rain jacket cuffs that don’t allow water to drip down my arms inside the sleeves.

In camp a sound waterproof tent, doesn’t need to be huge, I’m only sleeping in there, and quality tarp, large enough to drop one side as a windblown rain stop are a good start. I hang my tarp via an external ridgeline off the center loop, but in rainy conditions I add a “clothesline” ridgeline under the tarp. When I need to work around camp outside the tarp I can shed the drippy rain jacket when I come back under cover and hang it to drip dry rather than shed droplets on everything still undercover and protected.

I don’t always put the rain jacket on for simple out and back under cover tasks; I bring a golf umbrella. Lots easier for brief dashes in and out, handy when sitting on the thunderbox or “groover”, decent handheld downwind sail in a tandem. I bring a golf umbrella even on day trips; for a brief cloudburst I’ll pull over and sit in the canoe under my paddler’s parasol.

mmccrea like you experience has motivated me to improve my water protection skills. A skill that requires knowledge, preparation and application. A miserable wet experiences is a great motivator.

There are many factors to consider, it is not a " one size fits all " decision. Tripping style is one factor. It is more difficult to remain dry if you move camp and travel in the rain than if you are base camping in the rain. Moving camp and traveling requires packing and unpacking wet equipment and preventing cross contamination of wet equipment with dry equipment is key to remaining dry and comfortable.

I can't say I particularly enjoy camping in the rain. Like others have said having the proper gear and procedures allows you to be comfortable and dry(ish) but I don't generally enjoy spending time in camp so I get bored and antsy, especially when it stretches on for 2-3 days or happens often.

When it doesn't rain too often it can be a novelty that makes things interesting and can give you a sense of accomplishment but when it goes on and on or keeps happening repeatedly I find it gets pretty old pretty quick.

or walking a trail when all the amphibians and small animals are scurrying around, and fall tamaracks are almost magical the way everything around them takes on their golden glow.

This is very true and some of my favorite days are heavy overcast with an intermittent light drizzle and no wind. Everything seems especially calm and quiet and the colors can be amazing. Those days can be a pleasure to travel in.

Alan

My Scandinavian friends say, “Not such a thing as bad weather, just bad gear.” All my wet weather gear is Norwegian or Swedish over wool long johns
& wool sweaters. I have a nice weather tight Hilberg tent that is light for portage trips. On shoulder season trips, I like a Bergen’s tipi tent, with a small metal mailbox, converted into a wood stove for warmth and drying out. For longer fishing trip base camps and working trips, nothing beats a canvas wall tent, with a good wood stove and a big tarp.
I never go anywhere without a good saw & axe, plus numerous ways getting a fire started, up to and including a propane torch.

Last edited:
Moving camp and travelling there is only so much you can do while paddling the canoe. As before, spray covers help, good raingear helps even more. A good rain hat, one that doesn’t pour water down the back of your neck, is a huge dry-head help. And a dry head, like a warm head, is incredibly important.

I do not like wearing a rain jacket hood. The brim rarely provides enough brimmed face protection when paddling into wind and rain, it rustles around my ears disturbing my auditory sense and, unless snugged down mummy-bag hood cinched style, with face in a drawstring puckered cowling, when I turn my head to look sideways I’m often staring at the inside of the hood. I did not come this far to inspect the lining of my hood

Hood-hater rant over. A wide brimmed waterproof hat, pick ‘em as suits your head shape and style.

In camp I think a lot of staying dry is simply experience, as often involving bad experience and developing better judgment. Not just avoiding setting the tent up in a rainy hog wallow depression just ‘cause it seems the flattest place available, but pausing to select the best location and orientation for the tent and tarp for the anticipated weather.

Even that, knowing from experience how to read local weather patterns and clouds; did not come quick for me, less so in distant infrequent paddling locations.

I am not the fastest observational tack in the box. Once I finish carrying gear to camp, (sometimes I need-a-break before I’m finished), I’ll have a sit in my camp chair and more carefully unhurried observe the site, with an eye on tent and tarp location for wind and weather exposure.

Part of keeping dry and staying dry while in camp is simply not rushing those couple critical shelter locations, and after that observing a few best in-camp practices.

Wet shoes and dry shoes and never the twain shall meet. I am the Imelda Marcos of tripping shoes; I want water shoes or Mukluks while paddling, wading or wet foooting. I want dry camp shoes; my favorite are Gore-Tex lined trail runners, so the water dripping down my rain pants doesn’t soak my shoes. And I want some let my tootsies dry out in-between-the switch footwear, Crocs or flip flops or moccasins depending on the venue and season. None of those weight much, and mocs don’t take up much packing space.

Mostly those best practices come down to keeping the wet stuff away from the dry stuff. Not rain jacket dripping all over my once dry camp chair and journal is a good start, but also obvious things like:

Keeping dry stuff dry, not incautiously dropping things unprotected at the rain spattered edge of the tarp, to eventually get windblown damp. If I don’t need it now, or soon, it can stay in a dry bag, in the vestibule or, if bedding, sit protected but prepped for sleepytime in the tent. In other words, don’t be sloppy. Anyone who has tripped with unawares or unobservant companions has probably seen sloppy, and the aftermath.

Oh the tales of unawares or incautious. Friend Topher, sleeping under a tarp, awoke one morning to discover than an Assateague pony had wandered in and was straddling his sleeping bag, licking spills off the camp table. The well-hung stallion, in Topher’s retelling, was aroused by the spills, and was dangling a large pony protrusion inches from Topher’s nose. Gawd I only wish there was a photograph.

Pony play aside, I have only been personably pleased by rainsloppy results once. Some guy brought an MP3 player and small speakers on a group trip, and “entertained” us with his playlist. I spent a lot of time wandering afar from camp that evening. He left his electronica out in the overnight rain, orr maybe someone who need a wee hours piss submerged it in a bucket of water, I dunno. I was so sad for him the next morning.

Back on topic. Add not climbing into the tent sopping wet. I take my raingear and any wet/damp stuff off under the tarp before climbing inside the tent; again, gawd bless the paddler’s parasol.

Damp shoes never go inside the tent, changed into some dry slip-on flip flops, moccasins or Crocs before crouching vestibule entry and left in the vestibule for O’Dark thirty nature calls excursions outside the tent.

(Eh, in all honesty, even with the fake grass mat, I’m not exiting the tent just to pee in the pouring rain and coming back in dripping wet, so a designated piss bottle in the vestibule. Guys of a certain age understand that too well)

The frou-frou fake grass mat inside the vestibule is worth every ounce for scraping the wet dirt/leaves/pine needle hitchikers off my hands, knees and feet while clambering into the tent. I think it weights all of 1 oz., and the less of the forest floor I carry in with me the happier I am. Helps preserve the tent floor as well.

Base camped or moving on next morning I’m all about making 100% certain the critical stuff in the tent stays dry. I use “waterproof” compression bags for clothes and try not to leave a disarray of loose garb scattered about in the tent when changing clothes. It is much easier to find what you want, in what order, the next morning if things are put away organized the night before. No, where’s my other sock searching confusion?

Sleeping bag has its own routine. When base camped, or just staying another day, the body moisture damp sleeping bag gets aired out hung on a line in good weather, or at least fluffed up inside out the tent if it is still raining, and then goes into a giant nylon stuff bag twice the size of the initial compression stuff bag. When base camped cramming the sleeping bag tightly back into a barely-fits stuff or compression bag is too much effort for me. I want it go in easily, and have some loose, uncompressed breathing room

If it is still raining I’ll line that oversized easy-stuff bag with a plastic garbage bag for belt & suspenders protection, in case the tent somehow fails while I am off wandering. I can dry out or deal with most wet gear, not so much a clammy wet sleeping bag.

Another obvious tactic; not packing the wet stuff alongside the dry stuff. If the tent fly is soaked, without allowable hung-to-dry time, it either goes in a small plastic garbage bag, or into a switch-‘em-around designated wet dry bag along with the wet tarp. Ground cloth/footprint too. Maybe those really wet socks ‘til I can hang a sunny day drying line.

Uh, yeah, that too. If it has been wet rainy damp for a few days and you get sunny skies you probably can’t set up enough “clothesline” length. FWIW, to keep wet socks and tee shirts held firmly while flapping in the sunny breezed just use a doubled loop of line, and helix twist it between a trees. Stuff the wet sock, shirt or grommet on wet rainfly through a twisted loop and presto, no clothespin clothespins.

I like airing and drying things out when I have the in-camp chance. If you pack minimal clothes on long trips rinsing out socks and skivvies and hanging them to dry is a welcome laundry day.

If I’m dry, and know I am set up to stay dependably dry, I enjoy hard rains, or more violent weather. There have been times I’ve tempted fate, channeling my inner Lieutenant Dan and bellowing

MY first step upon arriving at a site in the rain is to rig my "quick tarp", this is a water resistant urethane- coated, 19x9 polyester tarp I made with 5 tie downs on each side, 4 loops in a diamond in each quadrant, and another loop in the centre, it also has 4 loops in the centre on the underside that can be laced around a paddle or handy pole. All the edge loops and the centre one have permanently attached lines so it's literally a matter of 5 minutes to rig it for quick shelter in just about any configuration possible, I can now take my time,have a break, choose a tent pad, unload my gear, and set up the tent, all under the tarp, then I just pick up the tent with the fly already on, move it to the pad and stake it. I also carry a 2x2 piece of cheap, porous astroturf (Mike's "fake grass mat") for kneeling on or changing shoes in the vestibule.
once the site's livable, I'll tackle my bedding and kitchen, which may mean moving that tarp or using my other, 12x12 main tarp and using the first one to rig a windbreak if needed. if weather is particularly nasty the quick tarp may get moved to the thunderbox for real comfort...

A big tarp, warm fire and a tent that you can still enjoy the view does it for me in camp. When it comes to traveling in the rain my goal is to stay comfortably damp. One way to achieve that is to cut back on layers under your rain gear and not get overheated or sometimes in light rain I just wear wool without rain gear.

There is something satisfying about being warm and comfortable in bad weather.

I agree with the OP,
1. Rain jacket and pants
2. Storm resistant shelters and equipment
3. Waterproofing and packing equipment for travel
4. Campsite selection and set-up

I'll add that for solo tripping, my little twig stove really made my rainy windy trip to Quebec this September much more pleasant.
While I carry a buck saw and ax, just having to gather dri ki under the shoreline alders provided me with a steady supply of material to keep my little fire going in my "littlbug" senior twig stove under the tarp.
That little fire under the tarp kept me warm, dry and always with a good supply of hot tea.

north quebec 114.JPG

Back