• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

BWCA Spring 2015 - Round Lake to Gillis to Tuscarora to Round.

Reaction score
So I've been accused of being somewhat a fanatic when it comes to the roadless area in NE MN, called the BWCA now. This spring marked 50 years in a row of at least 1 overnite trip. The transition of being the youngest on a trip to now being the oldest is complete! There has been a lot of discussion here about going solo but I seem to have the opposite problem - always have a lot of folks who want to, and actually do go. This springs trip filled out with the max group size allowed of 9, usually don't prefer that large of group but I have been before with each of them at one time or another and most of them were in their late 20's or early 30's (prime pack mule age!). We actually went somewhat light and one tripped the portages.

The goal this year was to chase lake trout and see some of the area affected by the Ham Lake fire about 5 or 6 years ago. We went for 5 days and 4 nights. Did a circle trip off the Gunflint Trail, putting in at Round lake and 8 portages later we set up camp on Gillis Lake. Spent 2 night on Gillis and then moved to Tuscarora Lake for 2 nights and then headed out to Round lake the last day. We saved the 1.3 mile portage for the last day so all the food would be gone.

At the campsite on Gillis planning our day.

We rented a Souris River canoe to see how they handle, this was a brand new one.

DSCN3262 (640x480).jpg

Did some exploring on a nearby island.

DSCN3284 (480x640).jpg

Did manage to catch dinner! Had some fish every night.

DSCN3296 (640x480).jpg

The landscape was a mixture of fire damage and areas that were missed by the fire.

DSCN3304 (640x480).jpg

For you hammock lovers, here's what I used for the trip.

DSCN3378 (640x480).jpg

One of the guys preferred the ground without a tent, works as long as you go before the bugs are out.

DSCN3435 (640x480).jpg

Here's another shot of sleeping arrangements.

DSCN3438 (640x480).jpg

Hey, it's Minnesota - aren't you required to post a pic of the state bird?

DSCN3292 (640x480).jpg

Last night watching the weather roll in, rained most of the night.

DSCN3466 (640x480).jpg

It is worth being a fanatic about a place like BWCA. I liked hearing your story. I was out touring some fire scars this week. Back in around 2000 there was a major wind event and a lot of windthrow in BWCA out of Gunflint.. Have you ever seen the effects of it? I worked for a guy that was on a week long trip when the event happened.

I have only been to Minn once to paddle, but the fishing was memorable. We focused on walleyes, but enjoyed the smb, and Northerns also.

I have always wanted to paddle a Souris River canoe. They look like Cadillacs.

I would travel a long way to camp with loons. We get a few migrants in the fall around here, but it always reminds me of Minn back in 1985.

Forester,
The major blowdown you mentioned started in Ely and went all through the BWCA to the Gunflint. Thousands of acres were devastated. I have been through a number of affected areas. Was great firewood for a number of years but now most of it is rotten and doesn't burn well. Have had campsites where there were no trees to hang hammocks either. The blowdown areas seem to me to recover faster than the burned areas although the new jack pine growth in some of the burned areas look like someone planted them. I guess with a fire all the jack cones open and they all start growing at the same time. I read that those cones can sit in the ground for years and years just waiting for a fire to open them up.

The Souris River canoe paddled well, best when it was loaded. I often like to fish by myself when we go as a group like this and I was not at all comfortable with the Souris to do that so I took one of our other ones out. It also had what I consider some sloppy workmanship in the finishing touches but maybe it was a factory second the outfitter got.

I agree, loons are great. I was surprised at how many had already returned since we went a couple of weeks ago.
Greg

50 years of BWCA memories, that is fantastic! I can only imagine the stories you have to tell. Thank you for sharing your trip and photos. Does the hammock camping work out alright in a storm?

Plenty of room under that hammock tarp. I'm have tarp envy. Thanks for posting your TR.

50 years of BWCA memories, that is fantastic! I can only imagine the stories you have to tell. Thank you for sharing your trip and photos. Does the hammock camping work out alright in a storm?
Haven't been in a really severe storm in my hammock but this trip had the most wind and rain I've seen in one. Two things I've learned - make sure there is a drip point between the tree you are tied to and the hammock or water will run down and get in (my hammock has carabineers) and you can't over tie down a tarp. I was keeping an eye on lightening this time because one of the trees I was tied to was one of the tallest and out in the open. I also usually use a larger tarp than most would but I like to be able to get out and stand and stay dry.

Real nice trip. I like the size of that tarp. Too small a tarp can be a tad confining. A tarp only feels too big when it's still in the bag.
What a great way to trip, with fresh fish every day.

Back