• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Buoyancy tank plugs

Reaction score
The plugs in my Bells rotted out. Placid boatworks sent me some, but they are a little bigger in diameter. Any ideas how to widen a hole in a kevlar carbon hybrid panel? Step bit? Abrasive?

Kevlar will fuzz, not sure about the carbon fiber. I'd be tempted to go with the abrasive. You can trim the fuzz afterwards. I'd have some epoxy handy and recoat the hole and let it cure.

You might be able to make an oversize hole in the kevlar and epoxy a bushing into it. A piece of PVC tubing might work, if it has the right inside diameter. Then you just make the hole so the outside diameter is a snug fit and glue it in. The challenge might be holding onto the tubing, since it doesn't need to be very long.

I don't have experience with the plugs, but I've drilled kevlar. Kevlar will fuzz. Carbon won't. Like Jim said, you'll want to get some more epoxy in the kevlar fuzz so it doesn't absorb moisture. Can you post a picture of the existing hole and the new bung? We might be able to provide better guidance then.

Good idea, I called. They use a different plug now, and can not get the old ones. He told me to just run an ordinary wood (twist) bit right in. he says that is how he does it. I will let you know how it turns out.

The "breathable" plugs don't do a darn thing in my experience. I have several boats with sealed air tanks. Put a Grateful Dead sticker over the vent hole.

Back