• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Breakfast ideas

I have spent HOURS tracing trains go through those spiral tunnels! Even though I was sleep deprived from the night before when we camped in Glacier PP next to the tracks.. You know how many diesels it takes to get a couple hundred freight cars over the pass?? Five or six.. My NDH ( NOT DH) took out his hearing aids. I had no such recourse.

GO Brad and immerse yourself in all things train up and down.. Down they use lots of squeaking brakes. The trains make noise on those curves.

I'm not a train spotter, but do love the very few times I've travelled on them, and am not put off by the gentle rhythmic clickety clack and hushed hustle of the night train as it bustles through the countryside; an occasional whispered whistle from afar not disturbing my sleep one bit. But I guess I haven't gotten that close to them, usually having had a couple miles of forest or field to buffer the noise between us. Maybe there's a little Woody Guthrie in my bones, finding rail travel romantic. The shrill screams of steel on steel echoing through a mountain pass might excite my dental fillings more than my fool romantic notions though. People complain about a night train "coming round the bend" just outside Neys PP next to Lake Superior (a park we love to car camp in on travels through), but it doesn't bother me. It's a reminder of the steel rails and their place our history (if not in our troubled sleep).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx0ldsWv6iY

Well I remember camping in Algonquin on a site that was beautiful. I forgot plum forgot that it was right next to the tracks.. this was some years ago when the railroad up by Kiosk was active.

3am.. Scared crapLESS! Swore it was right over my tent.

OK I bit.. I like my beans whole but seeing as KickAss comes here only ground I hope it hasn't suffered too much from all that cross country travel.

I had my choice of Three Sisters Kick arse 454 HP and Grizzly. I chose Grizzly for the first test as its got CHOCOLATE.
I was afraid Kick arse was reminiscing of Starbucks with its attribute of "smoky". I dislike Starbucks as it all tastes burnt to me.

We only buy the beans, grinding them as needed. Love the 454, Grizzly and Kick Arse (lol). Wasn't aware of any chocolate? How did that get past me? I agree about the Starbucks.
I might be a NDH as my wife HATES the trains up at Neys PP; she told me so last night. We have one that goes through our city after midnight. It is required to sound a few blasts as it goes. From a dozen blocks away it sounds charming to me; harming to her.

A new idea for a camp breakfast...frittata. I make omelettes, so basically baking an omelette with left over veg and sausage etc.
Anyone make them in camp?

Take a look at the label on the Grizzly. It might be hype. Tomorrow is the test.

Label? Those things with words on them? Right below the picture? That's how it got past me.
I have some Grizzly in the pantry, but we're halfway through another kind...can't remember, have to go check the pict...er, I mean the word thing. In the meantime give me a chocolate caffeine critique tomorrow. I promise to respect your opinion.
I keep telling my family I don't really care much for chocolate, and I don't really, but this choco-coffee thing could get complicated.
Okay, maybe one sinister sweet confabulation has confused me, the Coffee Crisp thing. Not my fault.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Crisp

Last edited:
First taste test when it hit the tongue.. Grizzly has a bitter note. That said it disappears second sip. So far it has no personality and not a hint of chocolate that I can find.
This was only the first cup. While I do online Sudoku... Second cup later.

my new breakfast favorite is eggs (fresh or Ovaeasy) with mexican cheese and pre-cut veggies in a zip bag from home. Combined with this (to me, anyway, a reformed backpacker) remarkable find -

To me, very tasty and exceeded expectations I had by 100%. We had two packages and it fed, w the large egg dish, 4 guys just about right. Not cheap, but what a pleasant surprise. I will keep mine for my 3 season camping and boating as it seems a better dish for cold or wet/windy conditions.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=M...ir=q:Mountain+house+biscuits+and+gravy&page=1

Mem this shots for you. I think I've eaten far too much Local Raise Grass Fed Beef to appreciate this meal

But I did give it a try

Yet another F'd up useless fire pit

Last edited:
No Title

Made biscuits on the campfire for the first time on my last solo trip a few weeks ago. Just used some bisquick with powdered milk and water.

Ate them with some OvaEasy eggs, and country gravy

Attachments

• photo7310.jpg
    photo7310.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo7311.jpg
    photo7311.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 1
Back