• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Boundary waters advise wanted

Thanks for advise WA87. Will look for some books and other write ups, hopefully this won't be my last time there, thanks.

Update, Got entry point #23 and placed deposit on canoe using Piragis outfitters. Whew, finally going to go there after reading about trips from so many folks here. Crazy how this awesome site has opened up so many places to travel with old friends and new ones. Go figure. I welcome any other suggestions about the entry point if you have experienced it, Will go out for 5 nights and no marathon paddling for me, just relax and take in the sites. Thanks CF

Congratulations Coldfeet. One day I'll get back there. I'd was nice to see you again this past Sunday and hope to get out paddling soon.
Jim

Coldfeet - Congrats on pulling your permit for the entry site of choice. As for your wife being unhappy with your traveling solo; if that's what you'd like to do then I'll leave it at that. But, my guess is you might find others on the site who would be willing to paddle with you if you put out the request. Just a thought...

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Map came in the mail today! Whoo hoo! I love maps. Realized I can do a loop, outfitter Drew confirmed for me. I

Another vote for Williams and Hall if you are in that area.

Very good service and a great operation when I was there.

Thanks NYViking, I signed up with Piragis because... a few years ago I bought a Granite Gear canoe pack in Boston on Craigs List. Sewed across the top read Piragis. So I went with them when I googled outfitters. But after looking at a friends map and listening to her reports after going there many times, I'm sure I will be going back. Already thinking about summer 2019, isn't that crazy? Haven't even gone for my first time and I'm already planning a return visit.
PS, NYViking, are you a relocated NY'er living up in Minnesota?

Hi coldfeet,

No, but good guess. I had been Viking, but due to a registration thing I had to change my name and add the NY.

I am actually from Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but moved to western NY 20 years ago. I will retire there in a few years - still many paddling opportunities. I don't think it's strange that you are thinking about 2019 already - I have plans that I made in '69 I am still thinking about. And the list keeps growing.

You will enjoy the BWCA. My wife and I, with her Dr's approval, and an avid BWCA guy himself - did a trip when she was 5 months pregnant with our first child. The understanding was that she didn't do any portaging. Six days, my biggest bass ever, Norman Rockwell campsites.......and no film in the camera. You couldn't really tell in those old analog cameras. We wanted to build the photo album to show our daughter when she got older. Got some great pic's of Ely. Must have worked - she still canoes with us.

Hey NYViking, wow very cool pregnancy experience. That must have been a serious craving by your wife, mine just kept sending me to Carvel for ice cream floats and shakes. Western NY, Buffalo area? I'm south of you in Long Island now and hoping to retire from NYC teaching in 5 years and move North a bit. Not to sure where our kids will be by then. The UP is also on a list with stops in Wisconsin. Two of my kids tell me how beautiful those areas are when it comes time to retire. Hope to plan big road trip in 2023. Health and happiness. CF

So after doing some reading each night on the BWCA forum I'm pretty much leaning towards seeing the "pictographs" on Crooked Lake instead of doing that western loop out of Fourtown. There are waterfalls along the way to see also. I'm not a fisherman so those small lakes aren't calling me over there. Maybe next time I go with friends who love fishing then I will try that loop.
Has anyone here visited those pictographs? Must be historical so I want to visit that. Will talk to Piragis today and listen to his thoughts. Still have room to join if interested.

Amazing how this canoe tripping planning can change minute to minute. Very exciting, so instead of taking a day of rest in Ely I'm extending my time on the water for another day. Looks like the loop idea over 6 days viewing pictographs and waterfalls is the plan. I also understand from others, about planning for a bad weather day. I experienced a bit of that on Robin's ADK trip last October. Just wish bcelect was with me to fire up his dutch oven and cook a roast, If weather is bad the loop will get cancelled and I'll hang around the waterfall area and travel East for a bit. Hmmm, looks like I need to buy the next section of maps! Talk soon.

I use Fisher maps and they have never done me wrong. I like the scale; details like which side of the inlet a portage lies on are harder to see on the larger maps. I would only purchase a Voyageur or the NatGeo if I was planning a long trip that didn't completely fall on 2 or 3 Fishers. I annotate the Fishers with fish species, waterfalls, pictographs, best rated campsites, old or unmarked portages etc. The PaddlePlanner map is a great resource for this. The Fischer maps do not show most abandoned portages and campsites in Primitive Management Areas, for example.

You will be close to the Tick Lake PMA and the Sundial Lake PMA. Travel is allowed in PMAs but staying the night requires an additional (free) permit, available when you pick up your permit from the nearest ranger station.

I read one trip report not too long ago on the other non-ccr website about a group making good time through the Sundial Lake PMA from Beartrap Lake to the southern bay of Iron Lake and would love to try it someday myself. You could go north from Sunday Lake to the southwest bay of Crooked instead of all the way to Iron. Would be a little taste of what travel on the un-maintained routes in Canada could be like and make your loop a bit bigger. Traveling through the Tick Lake PMA to or from Crooked is also possible but would require at least a quarter mile of bushwacking.

Your entry point is close to Basswood Lake, a very popular lake where 25hp motors are allowed. Keep that in mind if you seek the silence that most of the BWCA has to offer. Basswood Falls and the pictographs north of them are both popular attractions so be ready for a crowd. Breaking camp early and making camp early is the best advice for securing a campsite in the popular areas. Commercial/boy scout/outward bound groups are also common along the international border.

I've heard that there are multiple sets of pictographs on Crooked Lake, not just on the Basswood River north of the falls.

I'd rather be rained on and/or windbound in the BWCA than not be there. Regardless of route and weather, I hope you have a great trip.

Thanks WA87. My friend has a Fisher map, I liked it. Piragis sent me some other brand that was tough to read without my glasses :( Will do some research soon. I have been reading up on lightweight gear. Think I need to lighten up the load around my gut first before spending hundreds of $ to save 5 lbs!

For quite some time I've been thinking about doing a multi-week solo up in the BWCA next summer after I get out of the navy. I figure it'll give me some time to clear my head and learn something about myself. This thread is doing me a load of good, thanks guys.

Back