• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Boat trim question

Reaction score
I have paddled tandem canoes with my wife for a long time (me in the stern) and the last few years whatever boat we are in feels bow heavy or at least heavier than I like. She has gained some weight but won't tell me how much. When I accuse her of weighing more than me she denies it, but my boat tells me something different. Is there a way to tell how my boat is trimmed without forcing her on the scale or should I just buy a bigger boat?

WTF.... Seriously dude... Ok, here is an easy way to check the trim, throw in some water in you boat and let be... Water more forward and end up under her seat you are bow heavy... Water sits behind your seat, then you are stern heavy water sits some what in the middle you are trim even, I like it to sits in between my knees and the center thwart, slightly bow light!!

If the water tells you that you are bow heavy, throw some gear( even on a day paddle you have to bring stuff so... ) behind you... Tell your wife you love her and that she's beautiful!!

End of the story!

Water in the boat, now that won't lie. I guess I never thought of it because I never intentionally put water in my boat before.

I can see it now.

Her: Dear why is their water under my seat?

Me: Because your butts too big dear.

Go out without gear.. Put a water bottle in the bottom.. If it rolls to her....well.... A small golf ball will do too.. If all is akilter adjust the seat or carry some ballast.. a new dog perhaps.

So if you're bow heavy the boat is faster and more responsive to stern inputs. Not so bad, especially for the stern paddler. If your wife is complaining that the boat is unresponsive then you have a valid reason to put in a bow slider. Alternatively you could fill the rear flotation tank with concrete or just scooch back and let your own petite derrière hang off the rear seat more. But this wasn't really a boat trim question was it Al?

So if you're bow heavy the boat is faster and more responsive to stern inputs. Not so bad, especially for the stern paddler. If your wife is complaining that the boat is unresponsive then you have a valid reason to put in a bow slider. Alternatively you could fill the rear flotation tank with concrete or just scooch back and let your own petite derrière hang off the rear seat more. But this wasn't really a boat trim question was it Al?

Nah. boat responds as a drunken sailor!
I've done that. Embarrassing especially after the group has just congratulated you on getting your instructor cert!

Water in the boat would be the simplest idea, I just need to remember to bring a sponge. Neither water, water bottle or golf balls will work in w/c canoes, although I don't notice the problem in my 18' guide. I notice it in my Malacite and OT Tripper. The Malacite will take some ballast to correct. In the Tripper I may move the seat back to where they used to put them previous to 1990. Sometime between 85' and 90' OT moved the seat forward about 6 inches and I may still have an origional that I had to replace when I bought a spray cover that was made for the newer seat placement.

YC, a dog might help but I'm afraid I'd be going solo if I got one.

Gumpus, the boat feels slower and that's the problem. As far as sliding bow seats go I don't believe canoes should have moving parts so that's out. Concrete in the rear flotation? She ain't that fat!

One of our canoes is a Wenonah Spirit II Kevlar. I was told that a sliding seat was a good idea when I had the canoe ordered. I was like you in that I did not want a moving seat. My wife is not big but the canoe still needed balancing when it was empty. When on canoe camping trips this was not a problem as the packs could be shifted back a little. I ordered a new seat and drilled holes and riveted a new brace back a few inches. I then moved the bow seat back 2 1/2 inches and problem was solved. Been fine for over 15 years,

For what it's worth, having an adjustable bow seat doesn't have to mean the canoe has a moving part while underway. My wife is a lot lighter than I am so we've moved the bow seat forward. To keep it in place, I have a small hose clip clamped behind the seat on the tube it's mounted on. When she paddles she stays in place and there's no moving around. This isn't my idea as it was shown to me years ago but it still works. I'm sure something like this could be adapted to any canoe seat.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

I see the benefits of a sliding bow seat, I just don't like all of that extra apparatus taking up room in the boat. I have a spirit II with one and would never buy another boat that had one, just like I would never buy another expensive canoe without a recurved bow. It's an aesthetic thing for me.

She might be beamy, but she's still dreamy.:)

You are a brave man, LOL! Simple solution...load the heavy gear at the back of the boat. Put something really heavy behind the stern seat. I've been married three times. Never tell a woman she is "beamy". Unless you want to do a trade in. PS. Trade ins cost a lot of money, usually over a couple of hundred G's, so just suck it up, work on that correction stroke, and tell her that her butt looks sexy in those quick dry pants.

Water in the boat, now that won't lie. I guess I never thought of it because I never intentionally put water in my boat before.

I can see it now.

Her: Dear why is their water under my seat?

Me: Because your butts too big dear.

Smooth...you might end up with her paddle in your teeth, or overboard...in which case the canoe would definitely be bow heavy...:)
Also, and I can't believe no one has stated that yet, you could finally quit that pesky diet and workout routine and just gain some weight yourself to keep up. I wish I had that excuse...

Last edited:
There have been books written on such problems and investing in a good reference on the matter can be money well spent. Here's a recent publication.

funny-pictures-for-women-9.jpg

YC, a dog might help but I'm afraid I'd be going solo if I got one.

Well....you'd always have the dog. ;)

I think Dagger has the right idea. You can have the cooler full of snacks and beverages close to you for ballast in the interim. :D

-"And the doctor is in. Please tell me Roz who is our first caller?"
-"Doctor Crane, we have Al from Alaska."
-"Hello Al from Alaska. I am listening."
-"Thanks for taking my call doctor Crane. Um. I am happily married. Very happily. But when my wife and I go canoeing her additional ballast in the bow makes for trim problems."
-" I beg your pardon?"
-"Er, she is a bit of a load sitting in the front ,she makes the canoe sink a touch lower up there. Not good for canoeing."
-" Oh, I see. Have you tried switching places?"
-"She likes it up there, called the bow, and I prefer it in back., called the stern. Any suggestions?"
-" Well Al. Maybe you haven't tried to switch places hard enough."
-" I don't know what you mean?"
-" No doubt sitting in back, you call it the stern?...well perhaps back there you have plenty of time and perspective to reconsider the reality of your situation, and maybe a few daydream wistful wishes cross your mind? Ever think of, say, a Gaga or a Kardashian as an ideal canoe partner instead? Lighter in all the right places perhaps? And of course she might have a few daydreams of her own?"
-"No no no! Never! Well, the thought has crossed my mind, yes, but only in a passing moment of weakness. But having another partner isn't the solution. Not at all. Good God doctor! My problem isn't so serious as to completely screw up both our lives! It is just a small problem. I was just looking for some expert advice."
-"A small problem you say? And what was the small problem again?"
-" Sorry doctor Crane, I can't seem to remember what it was?"
-"Who's the next caller Roz??"

Just having a bit of fun Al from Alaska. Please take no offence. We have all been in your position in life, and so have our partners, so none of us can judge. It sounds to me like you only have a boat trim situation regarding your gear, but you have the ideal life-paddling partner. Count yourself lucky indeed. Gear can be traded and upgraded, but life partners are to keep. I truly hope you and yours have countless more seasons to paddle together. And enjoy the view! It. Is. Priceless.

Last edited:
Thanks Odyssey, It was sounding more like Dear Abbey to me as I wrote it. I think she may be my ideal partner, we have 3 w/c canoes and she wants another, her own 18' OT Guide. Since it's our best paddling boat I let her paddle it and I use her 16' Guide.

We much prefer to each paddle our own boat, it's so much easier to have a conversation. She has a bad neck and can't easily turn around and I'm hard of hearing so tandem doesn't work.

Back