• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Boat trim question

I think you've been play'n us. You look like a big beefcake, and she looks like a petite pixie. Certainly not the beamy bottomed behemoth I pictured in my mind. No way she is putting your trim off!
0G8tYJa.jpg

My challenge is side to side trim. Sometimes the boat leans hard left, other times it leans hard right, and this seems to happen in all of my boats.
image.jpeg

Are you both paddling solo in the stern of a tandem canoe? Like husband, like wife.

No, that was two summers ago before I experimented with paddling from the stern seat, we both had bow paddlers on that outing. On our last paddle when we both were solo she did paddle from the stern seat. It was a paddle around our lake. We started downwind and she was in the stern seat. When we got to the end of the lake and had to turn broadside to the wind I told her to move forward of the rear thwart, she was enjoying the stern seat so much she didn't listen and got blown around. She moved forward and had no problem keeping her bow where she wanted. A little later we turned directly into the wind, and it was much stronger, and she had to kneel just behind the center thwart to keep from getting blown around. As the wind died down she was able to move back and rest on the rear thwart again. When we made the turn to start downwind she moved right back to the stern seat again.

I think most of us are aware that you may need to change positions to adapt to the wind but I also think most of us have not considered the stern seat as a good option. IT IS LESS STABLE THAN FACING BACKWARDS FROM THE BOW SEAT. It would also depend on the boat, placement of the seat, weight of the paddler, skill level and ones aversion for risk. In the right boat at the right time it is very enjoyable.

Back