Do you have some recommended resources?

Such as;

Book recommendations

Materials suppliers

Required/recommended tool list

Sources for plans

and anything I have missed.

Thanks!

I have been buying from RAKA for the 5 or 6 years, they have an excellent choice of fiberglass, Kevlar and carbon, and the clearest epoxy resin that I have ever used. Their prices are very competitive too!

And I just used some bias woven 2" fiberglass tape from CST to repair my sailboat. Bias cut or woven cloth readily wraps around compound curves without bunching, and this bias woven tape has the added advantage of no stray fibers at the edges.

I started building by using David Hazen's "Stripper Guide to Canoe Building", it's a bit dated in the material recommendations, but still a good resource. Also, "Canoecraft" by Ted Moores is another excellent building guide that includes design data for some classic hull designs.
Nick Schade also has a few building books that are well respected.

Beyond those material and method sources online, I have heard about some guy that has posted long running threads showing step by step canoe construction, but some of the commentary is a bit askew...

And as I have offered before, there is a partially built stripper in my boat shop right now, you could make a detour on one of your trips to see the process in person...

Back