• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

boat advice: solo canoe for 1-2 week river trips?

......... I’ll be down along the South and Black rivers at some point this winter and we could have a three canoe paddle and compare.

And the beauty would be you don't need to bring a boat, just your other paddling gear, favorite stick if you have one.. We'll have at least 3 different canoes, swap them off as we go down river.

I'm about to drive over to Great Outdoor Provision Co. and will likely be bringing a boat home. Not the boat of my desires, but just something to get me by for this season before being pushed off to the family fleet for one of the kids to use. Don't hate me, but I might be picking up an OT Next today.

That said... I'm lining things up for a much more spectacular boat that will take a few months to get the $$$ together for, and a few months more to build & ship.

Uncle_Skwid I went with a blue boat since Cooper won here in NC. That, and because they didn't have orange or lemongrass (my first & second choices). If it had been purple, I'd have to leave the store empty handed.

This is the temporary boat to get me through 2017. I'll be selling my Dagger Axis 12.0 kayak and my 2006 Yamaha Roadstar motorcycle in the Spring. Proceeds will go towards a new composite boat. Then the Next here becomes part of the play fleet for the family.

My OT Camper 16, which is up in Pennsylvania right now, will be unreachable by me until my snowbird parents return to their summer nest in May to liberate it to me from their garage.

At any rate, I plan on going to WPASCR this year to try out some upmarket composite boats and, if I find something I like, will put down some $$$ to have it built.

At any rate, I plan on going to WPASCR this year to try out some upmarket composite boats and, if I find something I like, will put down some $$$ to have it built.

When I attended there were a number of used canoes for sale at the event. Bring some $$ with you in case you get lucky and someone is selling something you like.

Yeah, strange color, indeed.

I took it home on a kayak carrier, but switched to a Yakima canoe carrier when I got home. It'll ride out for a Christmas Eve break-in paddle tomorrow pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ.

Talked with my canoe partner and looks like we'll be going WPASCR also with my Keewaydin 15 that you tryout

I'm sure Bill Swift and especially Charlie Wilson will be there to fill you in on EVERY nuance of canoe design.

Yeah, strange color, indeed.

I took it home on a kayak carrier, but switched to a Yakima canoe carrier when I got home. It'll ride out for a Christmas Eve break-in paddle tomorrow pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ.
Don't forget to bring it to WPASCR so you can sell it there when you see some very nice pack canoes that are half the weight! The pundits might have a field day.. The NEXT though is good though awfully wide river boat.. gets you out there

Seriously there isn't a need to bring any boat if you don't want to.. Swift usually has a trailer of boats and Colden and Savage River and Hemlock are represented. and often Placid Boatworks. David Yost is the hull guru and David Curtis the materials guru. Charlie will be busy throwing Kong in to the pond for Miss Rory and her never ending retrieval games.

For beer drinkers ( cause I happen to be thinking of it) PA is an oddball state. You have to go to a bar to buy a six pack and case stores only sell cases of beer. It is probably best to bring your own rather than chase around finding where to buy beer. The laws are changing but its still a crapshoot where.

Part of the allure of the event is if you want to teach some skill you have you are free to hold informal classes and share what you know

I was thinking cooking camp bread. I don't have a reflector oven.. I will have to work on beer bread recipes on an outback oven.. That would be a cool contest.

I'll bring all 3 of my ovens and work on a recipe.

My guess is they won't have Long Trail Double Bag anyways.

Thanks for the tips.

Back