• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Birds in tree, then nothing

Reaction score
I was out paddling on a still evening. I approached the hulk of tall, dead tree in which sat three birds. A bald eagle had the highest perch, and a pair of egrets were sitting two limbs below. I paddled towards the tree with my eye on the eagle. They almost always fly off when approached and I enjoy that moment when they spread their wings and push off, as this one did. As the eagle leaped, the egrets took off, and the tree broke into numerous pieces, three to eight feet in length, and crashed down into the water and creekside woods. It seemed weird to be staring at empty sky where seconds earlier had been a tree and large birds.

This can’t be the first time in history that birds destabilized a tree that then fell. Several times I’ve seen trees fall out in the forest on calm days. Countless times, I’ve seen eagles, herons and ospreys fly from tree limbs. But I never saw birds fly out of a tree that then fell apart. Of course, no photo or video.

Interesting and unusual experience. Probably would only see that kind of thing from the water, as in a canoe.

That sounds like a pretty amazing sight to witness. I've seen birds cause branches to break off as they took to flight but nothing like you describe.

The closest I've come to something similar was walking in the woods and as I passed under a broken off branch suspended in the trees, with the tip of the branch at about head level, I every so slightly brushed it with my hand as I walked past. I didn't pull it or push it out of the way. I just barely grazed it with my hand. And then after a couple more steps there's a big crash and the large limb falls to the ground. I can't imagine anything so large hanging so delicately that that tiny touch was enough to finish it off.

Alan

Trees can fall when they are ready. Birds or no birds. The birds probably sensed a movement in the tree and left. After all it was dead , right?

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a riddle. It put me in mind of Bilbo Baggins and Gollem.

OK, well to steal from another thread, I asked the Chat Bot
What omen is suggested by a tree falling over after an eagle and two egrets fly from it?

The answer is actually pretty hip, if you are one of those new age fellas, or perhaps accidently ingested some magic mushrooms.

As with any omen, the interpretation of a tree falling over after an eagle and two egrets fly from it would depend on the cultural context and belief system of the individuals observing the event. Let's explore some possible symbolic meanings associated with eagles, egrets, and falling trees:
  1. Eagle symbolism: Eagles are often associated with strength, courage, freedom, and vision. They are seen as powerful and majestic creatures that may represent spiritual or divine messengers in some cultures.
  2. Egret symbolism: Egrets are graceful, elegant, and often associated with purity and tranquility. They are also connected to water elements and are considered symbolic of balance and harmony.
  3. Tree symbolism: Trees represent life, growth, stability, and the connection between heaven and earth. They can be seen as symbols of wisdom, protection, and the cyclical nature of life.
Combining these symbols, the omen of a tree falling over after an eagle and two egrets fly from it could potentially suggest the following interpretations:
  • Significant change or upheaval: The fall of a tree following the flight of these birds could be seen as an omen of significant change or upheaval. This might indicate major life events or transformations on a personal or societal level.
  • Spiritual message or intervention: In some belief systems, the presence of eagles and egrets might be interpreted as a message from the spiritual realm. The falling tree could signify a divine intervention or guidance in the face of upcoming challenges.
  • Environmental warning: Since egrets are associated with water elements, the omen could be interpreted as a warning about environmental issues, particularly those related to water bodies or natural habitats.
  • Harmony disrupted: The combination of the eagle and egrets, representing different aspects of nature, along with the falling tree, might symbolize a disturbance in the natural balance or harmony.
  • Attention to nature and surroundings: Observing such an event could prompt people to pay attention to their surroundings, wildlife, and the natural world, encouraging a deeper connection with nature.
It's important to remember that interpretations of omens are subjective and can vary widely depending on individual beliefs and cultural contexts. Additionally, omens are not necessarily predictive of specific events but are often regarded as symbolic messages open to personal interpretation.

Back