• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Big Island Lake Wilderness, UP of MI

Reaction score
6-12-15 to 6-13-15

I've been looking at going to the Big Island Lake Wilderness for a while now, and without ever getting anyone interested enough to go I eventually decided it'd be a good place to do my first Solo Canoe Trip. Unfortunately it was cut short due to the Weather.

I started on Friday after work, and made the 1 hour 20 minute drive. I can see how people get lost trying to find the trailhead for the wilderness. The signage isn't the best getting there, and a lot of the roads in the Hiawatha National Forest look the same. Luckily I had been on Google Street View, Google Earth, and scoped out the roads to make sure I knew what landmarks I was looking for.

I got to the Trailhead around 6:45pm. There was one other vehicle in the parking lot, and I never saw a person the entire time I was here. After I finished putting all my stuff together and double checked all my gear and I made the portage down to Big Island Lake. The bugs were absolutely horrible. I never thought I'd experience worse than I did last year at the BWCA but the bugs were THICK, and they seemed to be clouds of them at every portage I did. They did not seem to care about bug spray. I was on the water and off by 7:20pm. I was instantly greeted to the wilderness by two Swans with their youngins. Soon enough I found myself behind a Beaver and followed him for a short while... saw some Loon, Turtles. It seems all the typical wildlife was present. My original plan was to make it to Klondike Lake, but I knew getting on the water so late would make that difficult. After getting across Big Island, and pulled up to what I thought was a portage but ended up being a campsite. I referred to the map again and noticed it was actually about a 100 yards to the left. (I think Roadends made this same mistake). I made the very short portage to Mid Lake. Mid Lake was long, narrow, and kinda boring in my opinion. Like a large pond.

The portage from Mid Lake to Coattail Lake is steep, and short. Definitely wears you out more than you think it should. When I got on Coattail Lake it was about 8:20. It stays light out till 10:30 or so this time of year so I figured I had enough time to at least get to McInnes Lake. There was only one problem. I couldn't find the portage. After paddling around and getting some close looks for 15-20 minutes in the area i thought it should be. I ended up camping on Coattail Lake, the same campsite Roadends did. It's a nice campsite but little to no breeze to keep the mosquitos down.

The idea was to find the portage the next morning and get to Klondike Lake Saturday, and then take my time getting out on Sunday. However the next morning I still couldnt find it. I went back to the campsite and made a late breakfast. I turned on the radio to get the weather report and found out the forecast had changed from overnight rain Saturday night to rain and thunderstorms on Sunday. So I decided at this point it'd be best to slowly work my way back out to the truck since I have no desire to paddle lakes in thunderstorms.

On my way out the bugs were just as bad at the portages as they were going in. I decided to swing over to Townline Lake since it was a short portage from Mid Lake and I had the time. The mosquitos were so bad that I did'nt end up portaging anything over. Just took a peak, Looked like a cool lake, but then got back into my canoe and back into the breeze on the lake for some sanctuary away from the mosquitos before my short portage back onto Big Island Lake.

After I got back onto Big Island and back into the breeze, I cracked a beer and decided to float for a little bit before dealing with the bugs for the long duration of portaging everything to and loading up the truck. While I was floating it did start to rain and this proved to be a good time to leave, Although it did nothing to the mosquitos.

Overall first Solo Trip went well. Bummed I had to cut it short. Was really looking forward to getting to Klondike Lake. Although I do need to figure out where that portage is.

Attachments

• photo2325.jpg
    photo2325.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo2326.jpg
    photo2326.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo2327.jpg
    photo2327.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo2328.jpg
    photo2328.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2
Pretty nice that you can be at such a nice area only an hour and 20 min drive from work. Good shake down cruise for your first solo.

I can see how people get lost trying to find the trailhead for the wilderness. The signage isn't the best getting there, and a lot of the roads in the Hiawatha National Forest look the same.

I felt the same way. I'm a little old school and still have a couple of those gazette map books and the Hiawatha National Forest map that has most of the roads on them labeled with forest service numbers.

There was one other vehicle in the parking lot, and I never saw a person the entire time I was here.

The nice part of not being able to find the place.

The bugs were absolutely horrible. They did not seem to care about bug spray.

Still have not found anything to deal with flies in the UP.

My original plan was to make it to Klondike Lake, but I knew getting on the water so late would make that difficult. After getting across Big Island, and pulled up to what I thought was a portage but ended up being a campsite. I referred to the map again and noticed it was actually about a 100 yards to the left. (I think Roadends made this same mistake).

I did make that mistake as well. The first portage is a relief though being so short.

The portage from Mid Lake to Coattail Lake is steep, and short. Definitely wears you out more than you think it should.

If I remember right this is the one that went up a steep hill and than right back down?

The idea was to find the portage the next morning and get to Klondike Lake Saturday, and then take my time getting out on Sunday. However the next morning I still couldnt find it.

Not sure if I remember all the details but it was at the south west corner at the edge of a hill and swampy area. I think the "dock" was a log parallel to shore. Too bad you didn't make it to Klondike, I though it was the nicest with a campsite that was just as beautiful.

Overall first Solo Trip went well. Bummed I had to cut it short. Was really looking forward to getting to Klondike Lake. Although I do need to figure out where that portage is.

Big Island is a great place to begin solo tripping. Its really nice that is so close to home for you.Glad to hear you enjoyed your time there.

I'm hoping to get back in there 4th of July Weekend, and really get to Klondike and hopefully even to twilight lake. I have another trip, which isn't Solo for Middle of July, which will be the Fox River, and Manistique River. Around 100 Miles through the UP to Lake MI. Looking forward to that one.

Glad you didn't let the bugs chase you away. Sounds like a nice trip. Seems the worse the bugs are, they more likely we are to get the place to ourselves. When we go to the UP in late May or in June, I wear a bug net over my sun hat on the head, my nylon rain jacket, and nylon hiking pants with permethrin sprayed on the pants. Interesting observation on the bug spray. Bug spray never seems to work for me there either.

Back