• Happy International Cat Day!

Bell kneeling pad top fabric peeling off

Reaction score
The thin knit fabric top on my Bell T-pad kneeling pad is coming unglued. I've twice tried unsuccessfully to glue it back down on the pad with contact cement but it didn't stick and I just ended up peeling more of the fabric loose in the process. Anyone have success with getting the fabric to stick back in place on a Bell kneeling pad after it starts delaminating? What do you recommend? Thanks.

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't own that pad, but some kind of glue is the obvious answer, and I don't understand why contact cement won't work. Could you explain more?

I've had pads in my canoes for 40+ years, but never rubber with fabric on top. Just plain ensolite, minicell or neoprene rubber. If I wanted fabric on top, which I don't, I suppose I could glue some on. Maybe you could just buy some matching fabric, cut off the delaminating fabric area, and glue on a patch.

Another idea. Dan Cooke used to make those pads. Maybe a call or email to him for advice would be helpful. Northstar Canoe (Ted Bell) also now sells them; maybe they could give advice too.

Reaction score
It has been awhile since I tried to do anything with this pad, but I think my first try was just spreading a thin layer of contact cement on the rubber part and pressing the fabric down. The fabric didn't stay glued down when I used the pad again so the second time I tried to spread contact cement on both the rubber and the underside of the fabric then waiting a bit before pressing the fabric down. That didn't lead to any better attachment.

I've found that kneeling pads with fabric on top are easier on my knees than ones with a textured rubber kneeling surface.

Reaction score
Thanks yellowcanoe, I will look for Gorilla fabric glue. My T-pad has been sitting around unused for a number of years since my initial repair attempt. I just now pulled it out from the bottom of a pile of pads and dry bags and see that it has developed some (permanent?) indentations from things piled on top so even if I get the fabric glued down it may not be as comfortable as before.