• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

beer Bread

Reaction score
This is something I would like to try at home or... with reflector oven Its from the cooking section of the New York Times,
  • Butter, for greasing the pan
  • Cornmeal
    cups flour (See note)
    teaspoons baking powder
    teaspoon salt
    tablespoons sugar
    12-ounce can beer, the blander the better
    tablespoons melted butter
[h=3]PREPARATION[/h]
  • Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan and dust with cornmeal. For stovetop baking, use a heavy Dutch oven or similar pot that has been greased and dusted with cornmeal but not heated.
  • Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and stir in the beer. Place batter in the pan. Oven baking will take about 35 minutes. For stovetop baking, cover the pan and place it on a heat shield over a low to medium flame and bake until a knife or cake tester comes out clean.
  • Remove from pan, drizzle with butter if desired and allow to cool completely before slicing. The bread has a texture similar to that of English muffins and tastes best toasted

Please evaluate this recipe. If you like it, Maybe the Wife will let me try it. I get into trouble when I experiment, in the kitchen !
It does sound good ! And it's a great excuse to go out and buy some beer !!;)​ It only takes one can right ? I wonder what I'll do with the rest :rolleyes:

Thanks !

Jim

Its going to be a while folks.. Our house is undergoing a bit of remodeling and the only beers ( ales ) I have are porter ( Old Engine Oil) . Not a bland beer. I need to get one can of Bud Lite. Is that possible?

I've taken to baking bread for my 17th & 18th century re-enacting and living history events. Beer bread was common because the beer took the place of conventional yeast to make the bread rise. I have a recipe that I can share if folks are interested; it's at home right now so I don't have it handy. I've found that the beer/ale used will impart different tastes to the end product. I've made it with Guinness, a local oatmeal stout and even Yuengling. Each is a bit different but they're all good. The best part is it's a very easy recipe to make. Even non-bakers should have no problem making this bread. I shape the dough into round loaves and then bake them on a cookie sheet. Bottom line, easy peasey.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll get the recipe out on the board. It might take me a day to find it but I'll be sure to post it for anyone who is interested.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

YC , save that porter & mix with cocoa & molasses / syrup & some hydrated oatmeal to your flour for a substantial camp loaf. With some butter & coffee will stick to your ribs.

I've taken to baking bread for my 17th & 18th century re-enacting and living history events. Beer bread was common because the beer took the place of conventional yeast to make the bread rise. I have a recipe that I can share if folks are interested; it's at home right now so I don't have it handy. I've found that the beer/ale used will impart different tastes to the end product. I've made it with Guinness, a local oatmeal stout and even Yuengling. Each is a bit different but they're all good. The best part is it's a very easy recipe to make. Even non-bakers should have no problem making this bread. I shape the dough into round loaves and then bake them on a cookie sheet. Bottom line, easy peasey.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll get the recipe out on the board. It might take me a day to find it but I'll be sure to post it for anyone who is interested.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

​ Yes ! You sold me on "easy peasey" ! Maybe just in time for Christmas !

Thanks !

Jim

I discovered the joys of baking late in life, round about the same time I started cutting back on eating bread. Go figure.
I'd love to see that historic beer bread recipe snapper, and thanks for that.
Thanks forest runes, I Iove the looks of that recipe too. Porter is my favourite quaff.
And thanks for the original recipe YC. A new recipe for all the bland beers people leave in my fridge!

Back