• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Beef Stew with beer and paprika

Reaction score
[h=2]I found this online a year or two ago and it is my main beef stew for dehydrating. Cut the veggies and beef into smaller pieces so it dehydrates easily and adjust the ingredients to your liking. I usually dehydrate this overnight and portion it out into vacuum bags in the morning. At camp, I make 3/4 cup of instant rice and add it to the stew. I got it from the Pioneerwoman's website: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/beef-stew-with-beer-and-paprika/

I use darker craft beers. Sorry about the fonts, I cut and paste and can't seem to format it correctly.

Barry

Beef Stew with Beer and Paprika
[/h] Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 2 Hours30 Minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 6
Ingredients

• 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 2 pounds Stew Meat
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 can Beer, 12 Ounce Can
  • 4 cups Beef Stock (or 4 Cups Water + 4 Beef Bouillon Cubes)
  • 2 cups Water (additional, If Needed)
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon Sugar
  • 4 whole Carrots, Washed, Unpeeled, And Roughly Sliced
  • 4 whole New Potatoes, Quartered
  • Minced Parsley (optional)
[h=4]Preparation Instructions[/h] Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown meat in two batches, setting aside on a plate when brown. Cut pieces in half. Set aside.
Add diced onions to the pot. Stir and cook for two or three minutes until softened, then add garlic for another minute. Pour in beer and beef stock, then add Worcestershire, tomato paste, paprika, salt, pepper, and sugar. Add beef back into the pot. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
*UPDATE: The liquid should cook down to a thicker state. If it gets too thick/reduces too much, add additional water as needed.
Add carrots and potatoes, then cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes. (If stew gets dry, just add a cup of hot water at a time to replenish the liquid.) Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Serve in bowls next to crusty French bread. Sprinkle with minced parsley, if desired.

I'm drooling .....

Can the French bread be de-/rehydrated, too?

One of the easiest and tastiest beef stews you can make is "Guinness Stew". It is made with a single can (or two depending on how much you make) of Guinness as the total amount of liquid. No added water or broth, and Guinness adds the necessary sweetness. Include veggies of your choice - mainly onions, garlic, celery, potatoes, and carrots, plus a tablespoon or two of tomato paste. It needs a bit of salt and pepper, and requires few to no additional herbs of your choice. The secret is to coat beef cubes with a bit of oil and then flour, and to brown it well before adding the other ingredients. Bake in a heavy dutch oven for 2 or more hours. Incredible.

Last edited:
I found this online a year or two ago and it is my main beef stew for dehydrating. Cut the veggies and beef into smaller pieces so it dehydrates easily and adjust the ingredients to your liking. I usually dehydrate this overnight and portion it out into vacuum bags in the morning. At camp, I make 3/4 cup of instant rice and add it to the stew. I got it from the Pioneerwoman's website: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/beef-stew-with-beer-and-paprika/

I use darker craft beers. Sorry about the fonts, I cut and paste and can't seem to format it correctly.

Barry

Beef Stew with Beer and Paprika

Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 2 Hours30 Minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 6
Ingredients

• 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 2 pounds Stew Meat
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 can Beer, 12 Ounce Can
  • 4 cups Beef Stock (or 4 Cups Water + 4 Beef Bouillon Cubes)
  • 2 cups Water (additional, If Needed)
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon Sugar
  • 4 whole Carrots, Washed, Unpeeled, And Roughly Sliced
  • 4 whole New Potatoes, Quartered
  • Minced Parsley (optional)
Preparation Instructions

Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown meat in two batches, setting aside on a plate when brown. Cut pieces in half. Set aside.
Add diced onions to the pot. Stir and cook for two or three minutes until softened, then add garlic for another minute. Pour in beer and beef stock, then add Worcestershire, tomato paste, paprika, salt, pepper, and sugar. Add beef back into the pot. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
*UPDATE: The liquid should cook down to a thicker state. If it gets too thick/reduces too much, add additional water as needed.
Add carrots and potatoes, then cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes. (If stew gets dry, just add a cup of hot water at a time to replenish the liquid.) Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Serve in bowls next to crusty French bread. Sprinkle with minced parsley, if desired.

I'm cooking.. Long recipe so it seems I have set up residence here at canoetripping.

Do I see a bunch of folks at the table in the canoetripping dining room?

Do I see a bunch of folks at the table in the canoetripping dining room?

Ha Ha:D I'll have enough for four. First meal on the Green 5-7-14. You have to plan the rest of your meals!

However I have a real fear it won't make it to the dehydrator.

With great regret I report that the result is inedible.

I used four beef bouillon packets, 4 c water and the prescribed salt.

Don't do that.. Buy some low sodium beef broth. They come in quart boxes now.

The salt result was overwhelming. I wound up rinsing most of the resulting broth down the sink.. and rinsing some of the result. I am dehydrating what solids are left. We will see on the river.

Not all bullion packets are created equal. Some yeild a quart (American translation for y'all) and some less and some more. I prefer to use real stock when available or I look for the low sodium quart tetra boxes.

With great regret I report that the result is inedible.

I used four beef bouillon packets, 4 c water and the prescribed salt.

Don't do that.. Buy some low sodium beef broth. They come in quart boxes now.

The salt result was overwhelming. I wound up rinsing most of the resulting broth down the sink.. and rinsing some of the result. I am dehydrating what solids are left. We will see on the river.

Now an update. The rinsed..meddled with.. rinsed.. dehydrated stew was fantastic.. Even with the draining off of some ingredients likely the result could have fed six easily..

Back