• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Bear Lines

Reaction score
In the past, I have thrown a rope over a tall branch and dragged my heavy barrel up into the canopy. It is quite heavy on longer trips. I thought about using a pulley or pulley system of some kind this next year. Any suggestions on how to rig/tie this up and especially what type of pulley? I think that the Amsteel would keep coming off of the groove in the pulley on the ones I see at Home Depot etc.

Where do you routinely go? Many areas up here in the north east now require a bear proof container, most of which you don't hang.

Petzl Ultralegere pulleys are (very hard) plastic devices shaped sort of like a tire rim, cost $5. Any reasonable diameter rope is not easily jumping that "groove." Go to an outdoor store and find a medium duty aluminum climbing carabiner that seats the ultrlegere just right. These ultralegere/carabiner combinations make a lightweight pulley that can handle some weight. I usually bring two, one to hoist, and the other to pull the food pack way out (and up) from the primary tree trunk. This makes finding a suitable tree much, much easier. It is usually a snap. This has been a sweet, efficient set up for me since I discovered it.

I went through various methods of hanging food packs and barrels. Most involved swearing. A lot. The simplest though was to use a medium sized stainless carabiner. It was centred on a rope spanning two trees and hoisted up but not before threading the hang rope through the carabiner. Any rope pulled through this fairly frictionless. Once I did this with a single (very long) length of rope. I still take stainless carabiners, mostly as weights for tossing tarp rope over branches. After all these years my aim hasn't improved, but my swearing vocabulary has.

Two 75' lengths of 1/8" Atwood Rope 550 Paracord, one 75' length of Atwood Rope 3/32" Tactical Cord, one Blue Water Ropes Micro Pulley and one diy 500 denier Cordura pouch with hook and loop closure as a throw bag.
The paracord stretches a little, but is light and has worked well. The small Tactical Cord is attached to the throw bag and easier to throw over a high limb than the Paracord.
The lengths of the Rope seem to be adequate for most over-limb or between-trees configurations. The Blue Water Micro Pulley is light but is still overkill. A better alternative would be a sailing mini-block like a Ronstan or Harken. The Pulley is essential for ease of hauling up the food bags and for leaving no trace by preventing cutting the limbs.

Last edited:
Where do you routinely go? Many areas up here in the north east now require a bear proof container, most of which you don't hang.

​I have not heard of any restrictions. Possibly in some of the provincial parks up here, but I primarily go canoeing/camping in areas of crown land.

I've used the 2 line method for decades; Attach a locking carabiner (from my rescue kit) to a decent rope (I use 8mm kernmantle static rope), toss the end with the 'beener over a high enough branch about 4-6' from the trunk, bring it down to waist height and snap in the second rope, make sure both ends of the 2nd rope will touch the ground when pulled up. now pull the 1st rope until the 'beener is about a foot below the branch and tie it off.
To raise your food, tie your 2nd 'beener to one end of the dangling rope, snap it on your food bag or barrel, and hoist it up. The 1st 'beener acts like a pulley, reducing friction on the branch for easier lifting, and stopping the ropes from rubbing on the branch which protects both your ropes and the bark.
This uses the stuff from my pin kit in case I need a "z pull", so I'm carrying it anyway.

Petzl Ultralegere Pulley for very light, versatile and cheap.
It works on most oval carabiners.
The Blue Water micro pulley is also very light, strong, smooth and affordable.
These both work well for the two-Rope system.

Last edited:
http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/training/bearbag.html

Marrison Bear Haul System..

It worked fine for me for years in Algonquin and Temagami
I also have used the Marrison System for many years, and teach it during an Adirondack Guide's Training and certification program. Whatever the method they use, it is always a good comedy on the first night's test to watch the students compete in getting the line over an appropriate tree branch. The trick with the Marrison system is to have enough rope. At one point in the process you will have nearly 4 lengths of rope going up and down, I find a 75 ft length usually is enough to do it nicely. Use smooth full size carabiners as frictionless pulleys.

Bear resistant canisters are required in parts of the Adirondacks, not yet everywhere, but highly recommended in all areas. Also required when in the Yukon-Charley Preserve portion of the Yukon River.

Last edited:
Wingnut I have used a similar system before. I am not sure if he used a pulley or a carabiner in the center or not, if not that is what I am looking at trying this year. I also find I get a lot of sag in my rope from the very heavy barrel. I am switching to an Amsteel rope this year hoping to cut down the stretch I get from the 550 cord that I have been using.
​Mnoutdoorfunguy I am liking those little Ultralegere. Gonna try to find one of those and a carabiner to fit it.

Back