• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Bear Attack?

Hey Ice, I know what you mean about anglers cleaning their fish on the site. Within 5 minutes of beaching the canoe on the site on Rabbit Lake at the very far end, a snapper showed up. Same thing last year on McGregor Lake on the Bird River. Within minutes a snapper was poking around which also explained the rock fish keeper on the backside of the Island. Clean the fish, toss it into the lake, feed the turtles... best to clean the fish on another part of the lake away from campsites.
The sites "appear" clean but simple things like the turtle really tell the tale of previous actions on the sites.

The bears won't have a chance to get in because the snappers are cleaning up faster than the mess can be made! I always wonder what the sites history has been like when I paddle on the parks routes. I am so used to the backcountry with no history of missuse. The next question is do turtles pose a threat! Lol Better keep your toes in the tent at night! I know problem bears don't last long at any provincial park. They get relocated or removed ASAP.

Glenn do you have a wildlife cam..? It might be interesting.

Would be great to see how many neighbours you have in the backyard woods!;)

Wolfs just want to lick your face and curl up at your feet at night, no worries.:rolleyes: This was taken just below the 20' falls shown on my second trip report during a winter visit out that way. I had something with for that trip knowing the risks involved. The mad territorial beaver was the only problem on that trip!

Wolf-3.jpg

Wolfs-1.jpg

wolf-9.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking about things I don't know; pondering these "predatory bears", is this one bear who has an attitude or is it an set of conditions that can produce overt aggressive behavior in bears living in the area where the conditions exist? I rather suspect the latter. And maybe a month later, the bear wouldn't behave in that way but would have decided to beat feet.

"Times they are a changin"; no matter how you cut the cake, this isn't the land of our fathers, let alone our grand fathers. We humans keep moving into available land and pressing all the wildlife into more and more confined space. That's got to pinch. And then remember how a bear was dealt with in days of yore? He was killed and the surviving bears quickly learned to run from humans. Now in many places, the bears are not subject to such draconian measures and, (should this surprise anyone?) they are learning that it's safe to be around humans. It's only a small step to consider them (humans) as competitors or food. Reasonable from the bears point of view.

And then there's the local history: We paddle up to a campsite and after picking up a few bits of trash left behind, make our camp firmly resolved to keep a "clean camp", and there's nothing wrong with that.
For the animals who live there, we must seem much like a gypsy carnival that blew into town, make a lot of noise and soon gone. Of course for the animals there is the question if we will dump out the uneaten grub behind that bush or leave the fish guts on this rock? Odds are pretty good there will be something; after all, of the last twenty seven campers only eight left nothing behind.

So my point, if I have one, is that it's a new day and a new deal. We'd best be prepared to deal with surprises and not nice ones.

Best Wishes, Rob

You know, this site often costs me a lot of money. Around Christmas, I sold three of my guns to buy big speakers for our band. One of those was my 12 gauge. All this bear talk really got me missing it. Just found an H&R rifled slug gun, Tracker 2, for a good price, and "pulled the trigger". Only a single shot, but only five pounds too, which means I will probably take it with me more. Now I have to wait for it to come in, hope it's here before my next trip!

That is my problem too. I sold both of my winchesters so I could buy a lawn tractor. It seemed more useful at the time. I had only intended to sell one but the guy made me an offer I couldnt refuse. I had looked at those H&R ones too but remembered how stiff my little 92 winchester was to shoot, being rather on the light side. I am leaning towards one of the Maverick 20 ga pumps ...cheap, light, and more than sufficient. I dont practice enough any more to make reloading under pressure a good idea.

Ya, the reviews I have read of the tracker 2 say they are the hardest kicking gun most people have shot. I've never had a problem with that though, and I've always loved single shots. I'll post a review after it comes in. I was looking at the mavericks too, but got a good deal on the H&R, couldn't refuse it.

When I was boy I read about some famous African guide; the guy shot a double barreled Holland & Holland rifle. (maybe just a tad out of my reach!) Anyways, to deal with reloading he kept two shell between the fingers of his hand that held the forearm. After shooting he'd open the action, the spent shells would eject over his shoulder, and he'd replace the empties with those from his hand. Memaquay, if you got two or three snap caps you could practice reloading making it a faster and more sure process.

just a thought, Rob

Good idea, speed reloading will need to be prat iced, snap caps are a good idea, as I understand those rifled slugs are a little pricey. However, if you read all the reviews on the internet, I won't need a second shot, because everyone that has one can drive a nail into a tree at a 100 yards:eek:

Ya, the reviews I have read of the tracker 2 say they are the hardest kicking gun most people have shot. I've never had a problem with that though, and I've always loved single shots. I'll post a review after it comes in. I was looking at the mavericks too, but got a good deal on the H&R, couldn't refuse it.

Do its shells use a bigger propellant charge?

Do its shells use a bigger propellant charge?
Generally speaking, light weight guns with big shells kick harder. The weight of a heavy stock absorbs and distributes the kick, and in some semi-autos, the blowback is used as part of the operational mechanism, decreasing kick even more. I had a very small single shot in 7.62 x 54, which is essentially the russian equivalent of a 30-06. If not seated properly on the shoulder, it could cause bruises. Most perceived kick occurs when people shoot off a rest as opposed to a hunting stance. They get lazy or forget to mount the rifle squarely on their shoulder, and when they pull the trigger, they get a nasty surprise.

Having said all that, this little gun will kick hard, I have no doubt, but if I have to use it, I doubt I will notice it.

Good idea, speed reloading will need to be prat iced, snap caps are a good idea, as I understand those rifled slugs are a little pricey. However, if you read all the reviews on the internet, I won't need a second shot, because everyone that has one can drive a nail into a tree at a 100 yards:eek:

I can do that:cool: A <0.14" group at 100y. Just never when stressed! I think a firearm brings peace of mind when you know you are capable of defending yourself against a predator. I hope one will never need it but the security it brings is worth the weight! Good to see your Tracker II comes with a pad! I had an old M37 single shot that was a handfull! One suggestion is to have a stock pouch with a few extra rounds of ammo on it. That way if you get rolled out of bed it's all there with you if you need to move around.

Last edited:
I have lived in northern Wisconsin and Upper Michigan bear country for most of my life and to my knowledge there has only been a couple of local black bear attacks during that time. Both were bears that were in captivity and there were no human fatalities. On the other hand in this small rural community there has been at least a hundred automobile deaths and lately at least one death per year on ATVs or snowmobiles.

I've had numerous bear encounters including a bluff charge a few years ago and several instances of teeth clacking, but I've always held my ground and resisted the urge to run away. About ten years ago while jogging a large male pulled in behind me on the trail but ran off when I stopped and created a ruckus in his direction. I have never felt the need to carry a firearm unless I intend to hunt. I have great respect and caution toward bears but I do feel safe camping and canoeing alone in bear country, however I always take the necessary precautions with my food supply and keep a very clean camp.

Statistically, I believe I'm much safer in the woods with the bears.

Way back when the world and I were young, I was living in small town on the Alaska Highway. My buddy and I were hired by the town to shoot problem bears. A problem bear to them was any bear that wandered into town meaning a bear that had lost its fear of people plus lots of kids and no fences. So over 2 years, I shot 14? bears - a mix of grizzly and blacks. We used 12gauge with magnum slugs. We were trained by the RCMP detachment. They had us run for 1/2 mile to get us breathing hard to simulate the nervousness and adrenaline of a bear charge. We then had to hit 4 milk jugs laid in a row towards us. Something like first jug 40 feet away then one every 10 feet. I can't remember how many seconds we had to shoot and hit all 4 jugs starting from the furthest away. They said that if lucky we'd have time to shoot twice but to practice with four.

Years later when I started going up north to canoe, sometimes solo, in barren-lands grizzly country, I carried that same Winchester Defender. When getting gear ready for a solo sea kayak trip up at Pond Inlet, I switched to a 450Marlin guide gun as that's polar bear territory.

I've never carried a gun in just black bear country just bear spray and few bear bangers. I've never had any problems with bears in the last maybe 40 years, so is the bear spray redundant as well? Probably, but it does make me feel better when portaging through berry fields.

FWIW Ted

P.S.: Whenever possible, I've now started sleeping in a hammock which my buddies are now gleefully calling a "bear burrito"

Last edited:
Ok, since we all love bear threads and to get the bear out of my solo thread, lets hypothesize what to do in the event of a bear attack under the following circumstances...

You are alone in the bush, camped on an Island, you have spray, bangers and your axe. Nothing more. You are 1-50km away from safety, nobody else is close by.

You are confronted by a rogue bear intent on making you his latest meal.

A) You are attacked at night while you sleep, pulled from your tent...

B) You are attacked while portaging...

C) You are attacked while bushwhacking/exploring/hiking...

What do you do to survive the situation?

You fight back with all you have, kicking, punching, gouging, and stabbing and slashing with a knife. A fixed blade of at least 4 inches is recommended for all Ontario MNR bush workers, and needs to be strapped to your hip or other external gear so its ready to use, i.e. not buried in a pack. Bear spray can with holster per person is mandatory in my employment when in the bush, when group size is below a minimum (I forget the minimum group size). On a canoe trip an axe is a good weapon as well because it has mass that will keep going, but if a bear gets inside your swing, then you will want your knife handy. Bears have been killed and deterred with a knife.

In the tent I have my bear spray, fixed blade knife and axe within easy reach. Bear spray would not be deployed while I was in the tent because I would be disabled by the contained spray. When I trip in the Arctic Barrens in Grizzly country, I also have my shotgun in the tent. Outside the tent the shotgun is always nearby, and when fishing and hiking in the Barrens I have it slung on my back.

In black bear country on public land (outside of provincial parks), I rarely carry my shotgun because I have many more portages than up in the Barrens, and its just so big and bulky with its waterproof case, plus the ammo and cleaning kit. But I always wish I had it on me, and I have carried it in the past in BB country. I may carry it in the future.

I don’t own or use a machete. I can see some advantages as a slashing weapon, especially across the bear’s nose. But a longer weapon has the potential, maybe, to be swatted away or clamped onto by the bears jaws and ripped from your hand. So I like the idea of having a smaller very sharp blade that you can use inside the bears swat zone (when its on you).

Don’t forget your teeth. If the bear is on you, you can bite back!

I also carry bear bangers, and these have worked for me many times on curious bears (may not work on a determined predatory bear). I used a banger last summer when I had a problem bear in camp in the middle of the night. It was pitch dark so of course I had the bangers in the tent also, not buried in a pack. There is a continuous flow of misinformation in the media and on forums on how to use bangers. Unless the bear is a long ways away in the complete open, you do not shoot the banger at the bear, especially in a forested situation (you won’t see it in the forest until its close anyways). You do not want to shoot the charge low and have it ricochet off a tree or rock back at you. You shoot the banger straight up in the air or slightly angled slightly towards the bear so that the charge explodes well overhead. Look for a gap in the tree canopy and shoot the banger up. Bangers are very loud and travel maybe about 40m or so. They travel much shorter than flares.

ayup.. don't shoot the charge in back of the bear. You may find yourself with an unwanted lap dancer.

No Title

Folding stock stainless 12 gauge works pretty good.

Of course, if you ever actually have to destroy a barren land grizzly bear you are going to have a long exit interview at the RCMP office in Yellowknife and a lot of explaining to do.

Attachments

• photo586.jpg
    photo586.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back