• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Baker tent or Bill Mason Tent

I just received my CCS Lean 2+ this week and looking forward to putting it to use in May. I’m staying in my Warbonnet hammock but the boys will be using the lean. 50 oz. vs. 12 #’s for the Timberline 4 man outfitter.

Why can't you have your silnylon tarp close to a fire? Like how close do you want it? I routinely set mine up over a fire, even hang my wet socks on the ridge line to dry over the fire, under the tarp. Never had a hole.

I don't have monster bon fires, I find small fires suit me just fine. I recall something somebody said to me one time. "White man has a big fire and sits far away, Indian has small fire and sits close" a little racist but the concept made sense.

However....Don't they make those Mason tents in Egyptian Cotton? Lighter weight? Would the set up time be comparable when considering setting a up a tarp as well as tent? It would be my assumption that one would not need to set up both if using a Mason tent.

I think the Mason tent concept is best suited for different trips as indicated earlier. River trips that have fewer, shorter portages. Trips where you spend several nights at the same location such as hunting trips or photography junkets. It creates a far superior "living space" than modern tents in my opinion. But danged if I would take one on a multi day canoe trip in WCPP

Last edited:
Windbound, sitting in the vestibule of our campfire tent with dust swirling by my wife says "This is the perfect tent, I wouldn't want to be here without it." I had to agree, you just don't get the same protection from the elements with a tarp and most tents don't have the room or especially a view to be comfortable in.

We had such a good time this weekend, and the tent was a big part of it, that I wanted to mention it here. I'm glad I found this old thread as YCs link above still seems good, although I'm not sure if they still make the tents. If they don't Duluth Pack and I think Frost River make one. There is no more Egyptian cotton but the one made by Churchill River Outfitters from the link above comes close in weight.

I'm going to post some pics from my iphone from this weekend of the tent in use.

Al, that looks great. I’m dreaming of a vacation thinking about your set up sitting in usual bumpa to bumpa traffic this morning.
Which Ti stove is that? I sold my Winnerwell 2 years ago and should have kept it for your type of camping. Now I’m rethinking it over again.
Seek outside?

Al, that looks great. I’m dreaming of a vacation thinking about your set up sitting in usual bumpa to bumpa traffic this morning.
Which Ti stove is that? I sold my Winnerwell 2 years ago and should have kept it for your type of camping. Now I’m rethinking it over again.
Seek outside?
That stove is a stainless steel Kifaru International. It weighs about 7 lbs. and fold up to about the size of a three ring binder, including pipe. It's a little finicky to set up. It took me about 20 minutes but I'm sure that would improve if I used it more. I added the adjustable 90 degree pipe to make it work with the tent. I could add a stove pipe hole in the tent canopy, which I may do with my non-Egyptian tent back East, but I am able to get the stove within 2 feet of the main tent body and have enough stovepipe to get the smoke out and away from the tent. From that position you can feed the fire while sitting on your pad in your PJs.

On this trip I was wishing I had my midsize Knico instead of the little folding one. If I did I would have used it the first night instead of the firebox. Reason being, there is no setup and more importantly I would have had a much easier time getting wood to fit the larger Knico. You might want to look at the Knico, it's bulkier and heavier but a lot less money at only about 125.00.

Thanks for that link Ralph, I wasn't sure if they were still making them.

Thanks Al, I have the Trekker and Alaskan Jr. Might give Robin a shot at shortening the Trekker. Hey, what the heck!
The fire box was tiny in the Ti stove I had but so was the teepee. Which caused me to toss my quilt to close to the stove one chilly night. Feathers all over.
That story is on wintercampingsymposium.
Thx be well.

i just gave a canvas Baker tent to local Boy Scout troop.
If any one here lived closer I would have given it to the group.
I still have a large wall tent and an 18 foot tipi.

Back