• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Atuk or Esker. 4 sided or 5

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at tents and have two questions regarding choice and style.

1. 4 sided or 5 sided, I understand the 5 sided are lighter and more difficult to erect well. Does anybody have some insight on the two choices they could share.

2. I’m in Canada so the choice is limited to Atuk or Esker. Wondering if anyone owns or has used either of these and if you prefer one or the other.

Thanks

My understanding is that the esker is made by Guy at atuk. I had the kanguk, nice tent, hard to get a good pitch in the snow. It was five sided. I bit the bullet and went with snowtrekker in the end. there is Sewn Home out of Timmons who make an "Eh Frame", similar to the snowtrekker but heavier and cheaper. I have one of those too. If you are skidoo camping they are good. I dont like the center pole tents, but some people do. Check out Sewn Home.

My understanding is that the esker is made by Guy at atuk. I had the kanguk, nice tent, hard to get a good pitch in the snow. It was five sided. I bit the bullet and went with snowtrekker in the end. there is Sewn Home out of Timmons who make an "Eh Frame", similar to the snowtrekker but heavier and cheaper. I have one of those too. If you are skidoo camping they are good. I dont like the center pole tents, but some people do. Check out Sewn Home.
Nope. Guy is quite adamant on his website that he doesn't make tents for anyone else.
Go ATUK in the 7 oz fabric. Lighter and packs much smaller. As to number of sides, unless the side panels are as long as a sleeping pad there is a lot of wasted space up against the wall. No reason you couldn't fit an A frame inside a pyramid if you wanted.

W12ps2Q.jpg

B9i8Jww.png

If Guy isn't making them, then someone has made a direct copy, right down to the material over the zippers.

From the ATUK website
"We are not producing or selling tents on others brands than our, ATUK
None of our ATUK tents are sold in store, they are only avalable at ATUK
Original design by Guy Hébert"

Interesting, I know when I had placed an order, there was the chance of a delay, because he was working on a very large order for a commercial business. In any case, it makes no matter, but I would rather buy from Guy, as tents can be personalized, and I think prices are better. I miss my kanguk sometimes, wish I had kept it instead of selling, but the snowtrekker is just a lot easier to pitch at the end of the day.

Back