• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Arrrrgggg....

Reaction score
I cant believe this weather. Ever since January, its been very windy here in southern Minnesota. Temps have been 15 degrees below average. Each time I plan on taking my canoe out, its just too windy. I did attempt to paddle in 30 MPH winds; Impossible!

I give up. Time to think of a different hobby........

When I saw the name of this thread "Arrrrgggg" I thought you had turned into a pirate with your new canoe. Maybe that's Arrrrrrrrrrrbbb as in Arrrrbb me bucko's. Maybe talking pirate talk could be your new hobby. Go to public places and say things like "shiver me timbers" and "LAND HO" to no one in particular. Let us know how it goes. You know it sounds kinda fun. I think I'll try it myself.

Hang in there friend, better days are ahead. Honestly my favorite season to paddle in is Fall. Only problem is the days get shorter.

Yes change your hobby. Give up lakes and wide rivers. Change to narrow twisty creeks protected by high banks and close in high forest. This will take a lot of research and a little bit of travel to find. Been out three times this year on day trips when gust of over 20 miles an hour have been expected. Only problem I have had was one parking spot was not protected from the wind. Straps kept on being blown back at my face. Must admit I am very lucky in my Florida canoeing habitat. Not all the trips are what I wanted but at least was out in the canoe. Also hide from the daily sea breeze in summer not to mention the sun/heat in this manner. Always off the wide rivers and lakes by noon in summer. Invest in a couple of inexpensive dry bags for stowing extra/warmer clothing and make a ditch kit for safety. Do not push past what you are comfortable with.

Must admit it is surreal to look at the top of the trees and see them being moved by the wind while at most experiencing a mild breeze.

Think happy thoughts. Every great canoe trip has wind days. Cook elaborate meals & read books outloud. Or as some have said do some portage training - pack a killer heavy backpack and walk hundreds of rods - with all the weight you won't get blown away, (take a hike).

So I tried again today. Wasnt any wind and 62 F. Forcast said just 5 MPH winds. Of course, wouldnt you know it, as soon as I get the canoe in the water, The wind starts gusting to 20 MPH. I thought holding a sheet of plyboard against the wind was hard. Canoes are definitely not intended for use in Minnesota.

The canoe is specifically designed to be used in places like Minnesota and Canada. Solo with an empty canoe is not easy in the slightest of winds. Loaded and tandem is another story. Take a partner, carry a bag for ballast, use the lea of the shorelines and try first thing in the morning or after dinner. Winds always seem to be strong mid-day to earning evening.

Speaking of loading, I can do it by myself on my Jeep, but, I lift the one end up, go to the back and lift that up and push it on. Problem is that with the canoe upside down its so tipsy. So easy to lose control.

Back