• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Anyone use a double blade paddle....

Reaction score
with a hemlock peregrine? If so what length paddle do you like? I'm in the market for 2 new paddles - wood single blade and double blade - these are to go with my ZRE for variety sake.

thanks

Since the maximum hull width of a Peregrine is 28.5", the question could be generalized to any canoe of approximately that width. Keep in mind, the optimum width for a double paddle also depends upon the torso height and arm length of the paddler, and also upon whether the paddler likes to use a low angle stroke (longer paddle) or a high angle stroke (shorter paddle).

Low angle here, 160 cm min and 170 cm if you can get it .... anything over 150 cm is hard to find, but if you can find them, try them and you won't look back.

There was some hearsay last year about double blades requiring a flower shirt and a beach umbrella in the canoe ... but I can confidently say that this is false .... I much prefer Mikes words about the naysayers to DDB (DamDoubleBlades) ... that they hard much harder to hear as you ull away.

Brian

Since the maximum hull width of a Peregrine is 28.5", the question could be generalized to any canoe of approximately that width. Keep in mind, the optimum width for a double paddle also depends upon the torso height and arm length of the paddler, and also upon whether the paddler likes to use a low angle stroke (longer paddle) or a high angle stroke (shorter paddle).
Thanks - so I guess someone using other solo boats of similar width also would work.

Low angle here, 160 cm min and 170 cm if you can get it .... anything over 150 cm is hard to find, but if you can find them, try them and you won't look back.

There was some hearsay last year about double blades requiring a flower shirt and a beach umbrella in the canoe ... but I can confidently say that this is false .... I much prefer Mikes words about the naysayers to DDB (DamDoubleBlades) ... that they hard much harder to hear as you ull away.

Brian
Thanks - I believe variety is the spice of life so like trying different paddles when I can. Don't even ask about fly rods.

5'5" here. Had a Peregrine. As I also have GDSK ( g*d#m sea kayaks) I use what I have for them. 230 narrow blade low angle.

Brian
I have NEVER seen a paddle in that length range! Are you in the dwarf world?:ROFLMAO:

Kbobb, you can read more double paddle recommendations and experiences in this poll thread:

They have a saying over at Hammock Forums HYOH .... discussions on various ways and suspensions and materials to just setup your hammock can get a bit contentious, that's when HYOH (Hang Your Own Hang) comes into play.

Some people are open to change and trying new gear, some folks just want to continue with what they know ... fortunately there is room for all of us ... so HYOH.

KBobb ... you are trying new stiff... keep at it

Short answer, no. But I have been thinking of using one for a (hope it actually happens) late August solo of the Allagash in the Chestnut Chum I'm restoring. The long paddle up Chamberlain Lake into the prevailing NW wind might be easier with a double!

Thanks to all for the paddle length suggestions. I got to try a 230 cm which was OK, bumped the gunnels a couple times, could just be me, but think a bit longer would be better.. Hoping to try a 240 or 250 cm soon.

Thanks again.

Back