• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Another Manitoban saying Hi

Reaction score
Wow - I can't believe I missed this forum. But then I have been out of canoe tripping for a couple of years but after hiking this summer in 30+C heat I came to the realization that I should canoe more and hike less when the temps get too hot. Was googling some route info and stumbled on a trip report here and saw a couple of names I recognized so after a couple of emails y'all let me in. :cool::cool:

So a little about me...

I have an Evergreen Prospector that I bought in 2005 and it has visited Quetico, been dragged 'round the Whiteshell, Nopiming and Ontario. I avoid boat accessible routes where possible as I believe that the campsites are cleaner if you cannot easily carry a two four on the first or second portage. The longer you have to hump it - the less likely that the pigs will follow.:D I like the lake routes and have WCP, BWCA, and White Otter Castle on my canoe bucket list.

I have way too many hobbies so when I go do a trip I like to make it worth it. I lead weekend trips for Nature Manitoba (formerly the Manitoba Naturalist Society) and teach a workshop so as a by-product of that I don't do regular buddy trips but usually have a few folks that I regularly have tripped with. I must be ok to be around as they still talk to me after - ok most still talk to me after. (nah they are like me and have no real friends either i guess) ;)

Enjoy reading the stories on the various sites like quite journey, and others and really enjoy trip reports and videos. Active on wintertrekking and a flyfishing forum but lurker on others that I have less to contribute.

Couple of pics
This is Quetico - Sturgeon Lake after a very calm day in the evening. we were camped on the north end before the lake narrows.

Also Quetico - on Jean Lake taken in the early morning while I was supposed to be doing something productive but ducked away to take video and photos.

After looking at these - yeah I need to go canoeing. Someone on the trip remarked he liked Quetico - but found ELA the same but half the drive (and cheaper). Going to have to see if that was correct.

Welcome GearFreak from western Manitoba. Great pictures. I'm sure you'll enjoy ELA. We try to get there at least once every year.

Welcome. Gorgeous shots. Your handle implies an obsession with gear. Hope you'll share and post some pics of the tripping stuff that works for you.

Your handle implies an obsession with gear.

Oh Yeah, I like gear. I have found the odd kindred soul who shares the same obsessions. The downsides are that 1) you part with far more funds that one really should and 2) the oz of gear adds up to many pounds. I read somewhere that lighter weight makes for more enjoyable trip, but heavier gear makes for a more enjoyable camp. I like to be comfy at camp. Camping is not really cheap.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

Now time to go dig up and resurrect old threads! :D:D:D:eek:

Back