• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Another Mad River Explorer

Reaction score
Last year I found an older MR Explorer at a very reasonable price, it needed some work and cleaned up nicely. It's now my go to boat for poling and rocky river days trips.

Recently I found another Explorer with rotted trim and faded Burgandy color. It was an original "Special Edition" with some nice notched inwales (rotted) and a neat plack on the deck. The cain seats and carry thwart are stained also and in excellent condition.
The seller was the original owner and said he had only used the canoe 12 or so times in a local pond (there should be a law against such abuse!).
He lost his inside storage and covered it with a tarp one winter and come spring the wood was rotted.

DSC00642.JPG

DSC00639.JPG

DSC00641.JPG

No real sign of use on this hull.

DSC00640.JPG

Finished installing the inwales and gunnels last night.

DSC00717.JPG

now I have to round over the ash one piece gunnels not sure if I'll use my router which I'm not very good with or the belt sander which I feel much more comfortable.
I'll stain the gunnels to match the seats.

That must have been a very popular canoe around your parts. You should start your own reality tv show, "The Canoe Whisperer", document your travels as you visit weird hermits and such not and talk them out of their canoes.

Thanks Mike, your thumbs up with your experience is encouraging. You never know how it looks to others.

Thanks I have another Explorer up in the loft waiting for new wood, never used in ww so it's very scratch free just some fading of the paint.

Back