• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Another Experiment (not me)

G

Apologies to the Little Red Hen; “Not me” said the cat, “not me” said the rat, “not me” said the duck.

“Not me” said the Mike, but I continue to think about this experiment.

I would love to see the weight bearing capacities for different style tie downs. Various manufactured vinyl pads (with SS or nylon D-rings, cloth loops or buckles) and DIY webbing glassed to the floor. Pads installed with different adhesives (VynaBond, the replacement for Vynabond, G/flex, etc). heck, do a pad with just contact cement (stand back!)

Vinyl pads and DIY’s attached to sample composite and RX hull materials, held inverted (please not using an actual, soon-to-be-hogbacked canoe), with weights incrementally added to a suspended strap until something failed; the SS, nylon or cloth D-ring, the buckle, or the pad itself pulling free from the pseudo-hull material.

At $8 -$10 bucks a pop for manufactured D-rings or side buckle pads that testing would get pricey fast. ”Not me”, said the Mike.

https://northwater.com/collections/d-rings-anchor-rings

https://www.mohawkcanoes.com/collections/patchs

In for many pennies, in for a few more. I’d like to know how much weight it takes to yank out or destroy a nylon, brass or SS pad eye, or even a deck hook or grommet strap. Same for simple webbing loops, added to the ends of machine screws.

Those wee outfitting parts are all at least inexpensive to destroy. Maybe screwed into samples of wood gunwale, and pop riveted to vinyl or aluminum gunwale pieces. I’m thinking the pop rivet or screw would pull out first, but who really knows?

Thank Gawd I took the weight bench and truck-spring-sagging pile of plates to Goodwill, now I have an excuse never to do that experiment.

But, for lashed-down tripper gear, it might be nice to know the real numbers with different attachments and different adhesives.

Tests using through-hull float-bag style lacing cages on an actual canoe with weight-failure results not recommended. I am sure that style would be strongest, but it’s a PITA overkill on many waters.

Back