• Happy National Rum Day!

Anorak Undies

Reaction score
I wear everything from light wool shirt to multiple la years of wool to my down jacket... depending on the activity!!

Reaction score
Wool or canvas? I wear a heavy wool shirt with a base layer under canvas, but it’s gotta be damn cold. Excellent for winter camping/chores.

Usually just a base layer under a wool anorak. Sometimes a thin wool shirt or sweater. I typically only wear one hanging around camp in spring or fall.

If yours is wool, I guess it depends on how heavy it is and how it breaths. Lots of different types and weights.

Bob

Reaction score
I’m with Bob. I have a cotton anorak that only gets worn in the coldest, windiest of days. I wear it over a Lester River Boreal wool hoodie. If it’s not cold enough for the anorak, I wear the Lester river or wool shirt only. I haven’t even had the chance to wear the cotton anorak this year in PA. There’s a lot of elevation gain and woods here in the mountains so once I get moving with a pack on my internal boiler goes to high fire.

Size wise my cotton anorak is huge. It will fit over any layer I want to wear. Two Chessies could sleep inside the torso while camping probably. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a Fjallraven wind anorak. Most of the time I wear it in camp with my base layer, either a Terramar merino wool top or a 32 Heat top (both long sleeve). Sometimes, when it is colder, I wear a Patagonia fleece sweater or vest as an additional layer.

Reaction score
Always wear different weights of a long sleeve wicking shirt. Sometimes lightweight, sometimes medium and sometimes expedition weight. With the exception of the lightweights all are zip t necks. Often times a combination. Gets colder a fleece vest.

Reaction score
Well this morning it's 5f. I'm tempted to go to a merino sweater over a wool base. Probably too much over a thick wool anorak. What kind of wool shirts are you guys using?

Reaction score
I wear a Weatherwool anorak. On warmer days I will wear a merino(Filson) long sleeve base. On colder days I will add a Filson sweater as a mid layer. Still plenty of room to move my arms.

The Weatherwool anorak as zippers on each side so getting it on and off is not too much of a chore. On extremely cold days I will wear a Fortress clothing base with my Filson sweater as a mid.

Reaction score
central NYS - 10 miles from the Baseball Hall of F
Depends on the time of year, the activity I'm intending to do and what the temperature is when I start out. When I'm xc skiing or snowshoeing I will usually wear a light long underwear top, a light wool shirt and then the anorak. If it's a bit cooler I'll probably add a wool vest and adjust layers as I go. Hope that helps.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Reaction score
Well I just got back from an experimental run. Temp was 7-12*f. I wore a medium weight merino wool base, and a light merino wool sweater (not as thick as my standard crew sweater), and wool pants. I was ok just standing around taking in the scenery, but got pretty hot when moving. Think I'll leave the sweater off and carry it in my pack. I had no idea that anorak would be that warm.

Reaction score
Just an update a year later, with plenty of use under my belt. The anorak is a great outer garment up to 20* F. An expedition weight merino base is plenty when active above 15* (no mid-layer). I carry a heavy wool sweater in my pack for emergency comfort. I've used the anorak below 0 and I'm fine with the addition of the wool sweater and a down vest. Definitely takes some experimentation, although I stopped short of creating a spreadsheet. :)