• Happy National Scotch [Whisky] Day! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🥃🚱

Amok Draumr Hammock

Got my Draumr yesterday and set it up in my backyard. Slept in it last night (I can’t be the only weirdo adult man that sleeps in his suburban backyard).

So far I’m impressed. Set up is really quick and easy. Think I’ll hang a line level off the ridgeline as I seemed to have difficulty getting it reasonably level. Lots of trial and error.

I find getting in easier than getting out. Getting in is a matter of faith…leap of faith. Grab the side straps and jump backwards in. Getting out I haven't managed to not tip it and dump everything out. Not impossible, I’ll get it with more practice.

Lots of room side to side. This reminds me of the Tensile tree tent…it’s like a simpler, single person version. The pockets are perfect size and position.

It was warm last night and I sleep with just the top quilt of a Zenbivy bed. Had to throw my shirt back on in the middle if the night as a sweaty bare back on taunt ripstop isn’t comfortable. Would be nice to have some layer to lay on but unless it’s integrated to the hammock there’s no way it’ll stay under me.

Side sleep was not a problem. I would just roll to either side without repositioning. Never felt like I was tetter-tottling. Was concerned I’d be sliding down all night but that didn’t happen. It stayed balanced.

Tarp seems plenty big to cover the hammock with confidence. Setup was awesome too with carabiners for attaching lines to the trees and every guyline adjustable. It’s going to rain today so I’m leaving it up to really test this out.

This hammock was supposed to come with the poles for propping up the head and foot area. They shorted me on this so I emailed customer service. Had to use sticks for this job last night. This doesn't work that well. Woke up to the bug net on my face so the stick popped out sometime in the night.

I bought the XL hammock and air mattress. The hammock itself doesn’t say XL on it, just the bag. Was wondering because the XL air mattress doesn’t fit very well. It’s too long. I had to deflate it some to get it zipped in, then reinflated it. Also notice there ain’t much excess room at my feet and head. I’m 5’10”. Can’t imagine if this is the XL then a regular must be very small. Wonder if I received the regular size hammock erroneously packaged in an XL labeled bag? I bought this up to customer service as well.

I bought the XL hammock and air mattress. The hammock itself doesn’t say XL on it, just the bag. Was wondering because the XL air mattress doesn’t fit very well. It’s too long. I had to deflate it some to get it zipped in, then reinflated it. Also notice there ain’t much excess room at my feet and head. I’m 5’10”. Can’t imagine if this is the XL then a regular must be very small. Wonder if I received the regular size hammock erroneously packaged in an XL labeled bag? I bought this up to customer service as well.

Stretched between two points, without mattress, my XL is 110" tip to tip and 82" between the two bottom "stick holders".

My Fjol Winterlight XL pad is 87.5" long, deflated.

I inflate my pad, start the insertion, and then fold the foot of the hammock under itself to finish the install. Once the pad is in, you can just pull the footbox out from under and it pops into place.

Stretched between two points, without mattress, my XL is 110" tip to tip and 82" between the two bottom "stick holders".

Hmmm…This one is measuring about 97” at any max length but I do get about 83” between the bottom stick holders.

The mattress is about 3” too long for the pocket in the hammock.

IMG_5041.jpeg

@Blukanu

That's how it should be. The zipper sits about three inches above the bottom of the pad on mine as well. That helps with not putting all the strain on the closed zipper and transfers it to the cloth instead. Pull the bottom half of the zipper up and around the bottom of the mat and zip it up. The zipper will lay flat and the pad end will be secured by the cloth pocket.20240602_144652.jpg20240602_144705.jpg20240602_144715.jpg20240602_144725.jpg20240602_144743.jpg20240602_144754.jpg20240602_144807.jpg

Last edited:
@Blukanu

That's how it should be. The zipper sits about three inches above the bottom of the pad on mine as well. That helps with not putting all the strain on the closed zipper and transfers it to the cloth instead.

Thank you! I never noticed that little flap on the bottom of the zipper. I had it stuck under the air mattress.

Got one trip under my belt with the Amok. Weathered a thunderstorm as well. Did have to run out in the rain and lower the tarp early on. Other than that it kept me dry.

Easily the most comfortable I’ve ever slept outside. Maybe too comfortable. The downside was every morning my buddy (who was nearby in a tent) would say “did you hear those coyotes last night?…. No. “What about the owl?” … no. I guess I was sleeping.

Back