• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Algonquin Outfitters (Swift Canoe) To Operate Canoe Lake Store

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"The team at Algonquin Outfitters is excited to announce that after an open tender process, Ontario Parks has selected us to be the operator of the Canoe Lake Store concession (known as The Portage Store) in Algonquin Park, starting this season."

"The team at Algonquin Outfitters is excited to announce that after an open tender process, Ontario Parks has selected us to be the operator of the Canoe Lake Store concession (known as The Portage Store) in Algonquin Park, starting this season."

I like Algonquin Outfitters--have used them exclusively to rent canoes, and have never had a bad interaction with them--but this is getting a bit monopolistic. They operate the Opeongo store and the store at Brent as well. I wonder why the family that ran the Portage Store for 47 years lost the concession.

I found this out of date notice on the Portage Store website this morning.
To our valued customers
We are Alquon Ventures Inc. Many of you may not be aware that for the past 47 years, our small family operated company has been running The Portage Store in Algonquin Park under contract with Ontario Parks.
The Portage Store is operated under a contract that can be contested every 10 years and December 31st, 2022, will mark the last year of our current 10-year contract with Ontario Parks.
Though we have submitted a strong bid to have our contract renewed, other companies have submitted proposals as well and we have not received official word from Ontario Parks as to the awarding of this new contract.
While our online retail storefront remains up and running, we have suspended updating our website and will not be taking reservations for the 2023 season until we receive more details from Ontario Parks.
We look forward to updating all of you as soon as we can.

A quick internet browse in the Huntsville area has turned up Swift, Algonquin bound, and Voyageur outfitting.
The only outfitting I've used was the original business out of The Portage Store, and that was many years ago.

Last edited:
Back