• Happy Scream Day! 😱

ADK paddling

Yeah, that pdf map of Lows is the one I printed off last night to cross reference with people’s favourite campsites, thanks Yukon. I love my food barrel, and although it’s not technically completely bear proof, along with clean campsite habits it has served me well. Or maybe I’m just lucky? (I am a campsite neatfreak.)
The Eastern side of ADK requires a bear proof canister. I don’t see where I might be contravening any regulations if I use my barrel, and follow my usual method of stashing it away from my site. Do trippers (and rangers) insist on hanging? I just want to comply wherever I must. I hope I don’t have to buy/rent a bear canister. I'll be on the west side.

While certified bear proof containers (must be commercially manufactured for the purpose) are not required outside of the EHPWA, they are highly recommended. Proper hanging works otherwise, usually. There are certainly bears in the Lows area. A couple of years ago there was a famous swimming bear, who would each night make the rounds by swimming a half mile or more between islands and mainland, checking out every campsite. He/she got quite a bit of food that way for two years (even from hanging bags), then disappeared, most likely during hunting season.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7230.html

Brad,

Where are you? Did you make the trip or no?
Much of September was warmer than usual, delaying peak foliage in some areas.
Water is still soft, so if you didn't yet make it, there is still time.

Back