• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

A Must read Canadian History book

Reaction score
for anyone venturing into canoe country, a delightful read. Including how Manitoba got rid of its former nickname "the Postage Stamp Province" at the end of the 19th beginning of the 20th century.

hmmm and Turks and Caicos petitioned to be part of Canada three times, last in 2004.. Next province of course could be Northern Ontario . You thought the Am South and Yankeeland had a problem.

Now what to call that new province.. BubbaGreenstone?

The book"1867 and All the Rest of It"

Sounds like a history book with humour. Humour helps with some of the history. However we're still grappling with some painful parts of our past, both distant and recent that humour won't heal. I'll try not to go there. But I'll give you some back story to your Northern Ontario jab; in recent decades the Ontario provincial government has been seen to be spending disproportionate tax revenues on Southern Ont. leaving many Northern Ont. residents disgruntled. A group passed around the notion of separation, the North becoming a separate province, or perhaps joining Manitoba. That may sound funny to some but this is where we wander into the unfunny past of provincial referendums and near brushes with separation. Every once in awhile when a region of Canada is unhappy with the central-federal vs regional-provincial political and socioeconomic power structure there's talk of separation. I don't know if there's any constitutional way a region could actually achieve separation, but there are mechanisms in place for provinces. In fact one province has not ratified our constitution. The unhappiness belays the divisions within our country. And these are no laughing matter. The struggling resource sectors here, particularly in the north, have real reasons to be unhappy. Shrinking world markets, soaring electricity costs, protectionist trade barriers, and the lack of government bailouts or investments...If you foolishly read some comments under news items in our online newspapers you can see haters and trolls all bashing governments, corporations, unions ,workers...and each other, with very little humour.
I don't know what populist divisions there are in the States but here they exist between some regions and provinces, and to a certain degree one exists between Ontario south and north. Maybe it's been blown all out of proportion by a very small minority, or maybe it's the slow burn to a bigger problem. I don't know.
One evening I saw a young man looking befuddled on a street corner. I was stopped at the traffic light, so I lowered my car window and asked "Are you okay?" He looked startled and answered "I'm lost. I'm trying to find my way to the Mac University Engineering Department." (McMaster University, Hamilton Ontario) I told him I'd only just dropped off my son there, so it would be easier if I just drove him the few blocks there rather than describe the directions. On our way we talked about engineering projects like third world small scale village water pumps and stuff like that. Finally when I dropped him off he stood there looking confused again. I repeated my directions "Right through there. You can't miss the big doors." He said he was from Saskatchewan. I said "Cool! I've always wanted to travel there." He asked me where I was from and I told him "Right here. Hamilton Ontario. (Southern Ontario). He said "Thanks so much for the ride, but Geeze! Nobody's gonna believe me when I get home! My folks, and all my friends I've met from other parts of Canada all thought that you were all pricks in Ontario, especially Toronto?? Are you sure you're from around here?" I just had to laugh.
I guess I'm fighting division and discrimination, one car ride at a time.

Last edited:
Brad it was not a jab But you have been to Greenstone and its a wicked big area. OTOH Thunder Bay District has way more volume in area than the city. I'm well aware that the province may need to subdivide as the North is just being parasitized by the South.
We first went to Geraldton in 1967 and of course things have changed as there was no Greenstone then.

We wont go into residential schools. You know the United States had them too and they are not on reservations.

I am not so worried about the past as I am about the present. There is way too much division and paranoia from bigots and racists on one side and political extremists on the other. Dont get me started.

The book sounds interesting and if you think we dont have some messed up history just wait till you start looking closer. Cool fact....the largest gold heist in Canadian history was staged in.....Winnipeg. How's that for odd. The main culprit later ended up in Red Lake ON and perished flying medevac flights.

Ha ha, everyone in Canada has a hate on for Toronto, it doesn't matter which region. In Nova Scotia, we called them Tor-on-tonians, in a derisive drawl. In Northern Ontario, we just call it "The South". That Northern Ontario separation idea was thrown around by a few disenfranchised kooks, nobody wants to separate, we just want those bleeding heart Liberals to stop making decisions about our lives when it comes to things like bear hunting and gun possession.
How many Torontonians does it take to screw in a light bulb? Four. one to hold the light bulb and three to revolve the world around him.

I almost could have lived in Canada if Canada had been more persistent. The Pork and Beans War was settled too amicably, actually without weaponry.

Today we continue to disagree about part of Maine. Canada has it for now. Machias Seal Island is an important stop on the flyway for exhausted songbird. I saw pictures on Facebook with about 50 species of warbler etc together on the same lighthouse property.

Ha ha, everyone in Canada has a hate on for Toronto, it doesn't matter which region. In Nova Scotia, we called them Tor-on-tonians, in a derisive drawl. In Northern Ontario, we just call it "The South". That Northern Ontario separation idea was thrown around by a few disenfranchised kooks, nobody wants to separate, we just want those bleeding heart Liberals to stop making decisions about our lives when it comes to things like bear hunting and gun possession.
How many Torontonians does it take to screw in a light bulb? Four. one to hold the light bulb and three to revolve the world around him.

see what I mean? (lol)

just wait till we start talking hockey

Last edited:

I hear you Mem, we have the same situation here in Western Mass, the easterners think they know what's best for us.

And then there's the worst team in hockey

Last edited:
I hear you Mem, we have the same situation here in Western Mass, the easterners think they know what's best for us.

And then there's the worst team in hockey

I didn't know Maine had a hockey team.

I say I am from Scarborough, even now living in Manitoba, it is amazing how many people here can hate a city they have never been to. Tar-on-toe.

Being a fan Bruin's I don't consider baseball season starts until the 'Cup' is raised and then the whole "Original Six" revelry, (yes I know the O6 were not the 'originals'), there was that morning last fall we spent 2 1/2 hours trying to get from the border to Rt 400.

Ha ha ha, that was a good one, yup it's been over for a while up here!

It is??? Even youth hockey? My grandsons go year round.. Along with a sail boat , now there is a money pit. except one kid is good. he has to be. His college fund has been spent.

It's funny how many of today's youth in Canada don't cheer for Canadian teams anymore. I have more Bruins, Penguins and Capitals fans in my class than anything else. Not one Leaf fan. The season is alive and well for many up here.

I have heard many people talk about "spending disproportionate tax revenues" on Southern Ontario but have never seen any real data to back that up. With approximately 94% of the population living in "The South", it makes sense to most that a large portion of tax revenue should be spent there. I think what most people in Southern Ontario are oblivious to are the local issues that exist in the North, and the lack of input Northern Ontario has on these issues. As memaquay has suggested with gun and Bear hunting laws, there are issues in the north that they need to have input on and there need to be different solutions for different parts of the Province.
I often think of the Ontario government like a large corporation. There have become so many levels of management, that the individual needs of the people become lost in the many layers.
The bottom line is we need to get more people from "The South" to visit "The North" and enjoy and learn what those communities are all about.
The book sounds very interesting. Canada definitely has some very unique and sometimes sad history.

It's funny how many of today's youth in Canada don't cheer for Canadian teams anymore. I have more Bruins, Penguins and Capitals fans in my class than anything else. Not one Leaf fan. The season is alive and well for many up here.
Do you have kids that are not only fans but players? How do you deal with hockey kids that travel? My grandson gets As and knows the value of school, but there is a lot of pushback from his teachers when he is absent from hockey. Often he has a very long drive or occasionally flight to Ontario from Connecticut.

The other issue of course is that players seem to swap teams like socks. There is not the team loyalty there used to be..probably cause money rules.

It is quite ridiculous what hockey has turned into in our country. Year-round hockey, travelling all over North America, 5:00 am practices, 11:00 practices, and this is all for 99% of the kids that will never make the NHL. What happened to playing hockey for fun? For all of the thousands of kids in my city of Barrie that have played rep hockey in the last 10 years, there are only 3 that made the NHL. Some of my students have 2-4 days a year they miss, no big deal. It often means them arriving at the hotel a bit later than others. Other parents leave Friday morning so that they can arrive and the player will be more rested. (Having seen many of these parents in hotel lobbies and hallways, I think for many it is just a good reason to leave work early and start the parent party sooner. lol) I have one boy, (back up goalie) that leaves class every game day at 2:00 so that he can have a nap before a game. He has missed a month and a half worth of school days so far. He is a C student. His 5'4" round dad seriously thinks his 4' round son will be an NHL goalie. It's funny we have a teacher in our school that currently has a brother that is playing goal in the NHL. She can't remember him ever missing school for hockey.....now you have opened up a can of worms! lol

Back