• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

6th trip report - Seagrim Lake Route

Reaction score
Seagrim Lake Route

Trip report #6 on the Seagram's Lake Route. 31km and 1530m of ports over two days this weekend. I seem to like the interesting weather and had hail, rain lightning, more rain, then crazy amounts of rain and some sunshine and wind and more of the great scenery that Manitoba has. Was a Great weekend!

Starting on the parking lot I had a nice 210m port to the first lake, a small paddle then a 225m port to the second lake, then a little longer paddle to the 125m port to Elton lake, then a nice cruise around and another 205m port to Seagram's lake. Just as I was landing at the last port to Seagram's I got hit with a nice hail shower. Nothing too big so all was good! Carried on to Seagram's and was meet with a nice lightning storm and more rain.

Had to stay by shore for a good bit of time to stay out of the storm and after it blew on I continued down towards the Slywchuk Lake end. Nothing but swamp there so back to the far west end to try for the small unnamed lake there. Again more swamp so back to the port leading into Elton Lake. Had a nice visit from a loon on the way there. Just got into the water and got slammed with a hard rain shower, now officially soaked right through!

Time to find a camping spot! #9 was taken so grabbed #8 and set up the tent for stormy winds and had a quick dinner. Then the rain started again and I was tent bound till way after dark with rain and hard winds flooding the site. Stayed dry thanks to having the high ground and some nice tie downs for the tent. Stayed under cover and played video games on the iphone to kill a "few" hours till I could sleep.

Next day tried to gain access to the small unnamed lake by the southern end just northwest of the #11 campsite on the map. Ended in a nice spot that turned to swamp. Great views of the lily's in bloom. Another run on the port and back to the smaller lakes and some coastline sight seeing to lengthen the trip. After finding a few cool spots and a few interesting critters it was time for the next port and one more coastline trip to extend the mileage. Then the last port to the car and we could call it another great trip! And now a few pics as I took way too many again!

Map with a way out of scale km marker

July26-27-14026_zpsc0c085ac.jpg

End of the first port from the parking lot

July26-27-14036_zpsca7ce2f3.jpg

Port leading into Elton Lake, a very nice spot!

July26-27-14094_zps2ca52818.jpg

Other end of the port and a few of Elton Lake

July26-27-14109_zpsf4aa154b.jpg

July26-27-14163_zps1701ad30.jpg

In full bloom all over the lake areas
July26-27-14170_zps3afc86fc.jpg

July26-27-14178_zps886694ae.jpg

July26-27-14198_zps6f80f8e6.jpg

Start of the hail and stormy weather just at the landing for the Seagram's Lake port

July26-27-14208_zps748d464e.jpg

July26-27-14219_zps53bc79fb.jpg

July26-27-14220_zps93d79a6a.jpg

And now on the Seagram's lake waiting for the storm to get farther away.. Lots of lightning and a bit of rain. Just waited it out and carried on after it blew past.

July26-27-14239_zpsc0e9c4b1.jpg

July26-27-14254_zps801fd647.jpg

At the far west end of Seagram's and my visitor
July26-27-14314_zps78cff647.jpg

July26-27-14322_zps7e307835.jpg

July26-27-14335_zps24fb4a29.jpg

July26-27-14338_zpsa4191a5c.jpg

The port back to Elton Lake and then some rain on the way to Campsite #8

July26-27-14352_zpsb501b310.jpg

July26-27-14359_zps13c344a5.jpg

July26-27-14371_zpsc90e381c.jpg

Tent time and supper

July26-27-14396_zps04883218.jpg

Then a night of rain and being tent bound for the evening

July26-27-14403_zpse7154e87.jpg

July26-27-14407_zpsd38e21f6.jpg

Next day headed west on Elton Lake

July26-27-14438_zpsa2a11878.jpg

July26-27-14443_zpsbe66cdec.jpg

July26-27-14452_zpsb76c1823.jpg

A dead end here too as it quickly turned to swamp after this

July26-27-14459_zpsd7c517e9.jpg

Then back towards home

July26-27-14480_zps2d10f8e3.jpg

July26-27-14491_zpsaa6c4000.jpg

July26-27-14498_zps7b9080a1.jpg

July26-27-14502_zps1abcc3a0.jpg

Port into the smaller lake and checking out the shoreline here too. Camp #1 and #2 looked the best

July26-27-14515_zps02129023.jpg

July26-27-14554_zpsea3b879e.jpg

Not sure of the names for these guys???? Crazy color on the dragonfly too!

July26-27-14573_zps7e6a8b8f.jpg

July26-27-14582_zpsf943b124.jpg

One more port and in the next small lake and one more shoreline run

July26-27-14586_zpsb35d1917.jpg

July26-27-14587_zps4cc94f5b.jpg

July26-27-14600_zpse3b5ecb0.jpg

Last port to the car... Another Great weekend trip comes to a close!

July26-27-14608_zpseafa455d.jpg

July26-27-14615_zpsd6f2c258.jpg

And a Google mileage map! Lol

SeagrimsLakeSystem31km_zps2c3e3b04.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report.

I can't see the photos - they say "Sorry. This person moved or deleted this image."

I had trouble posting photos from photo bucket too. I need a tutorial how to do this.
Sounds like you had a good trip. Hail and lightening must've been a big surprise.

Last edited:
I had trouble posting photos from photo bucket too. I need a tutorial how to do this.
Sounds like you had a good trip. Hail and lightening must've been a big surprise.

The way I do it.. ( and there might be many other ways so this isn't a definitive answer) is to pull the photo up on Photobucket. To the right side of the page there are some links.. "links to share this photo".. Left click on the IMG one The box should turn yellow with an overlay word. Copied

Ctrl while holding V and you're done.

Thanks YC, command V works for me. I'm looking forward to your photos Ice. I like hearing about your travels up there.

Thanks everyone! Between the photobucket issue and the micro text size as a default here I am ready to call it quits with the reports for a bit. I deleted the photobucket album and re-did all the links so it should work now. If I could just change the text size from the xxsmall to something normal that would be great. I have gone into my account settings and tried several times to change it with no luck. Time for a break, Enjoy the pics, should work now. Cheers, and happy paddling!

The font is fine now Icedragonmx! Thank you! Oh those lichen that you weren't sure of the name? I've heard of them called Leather Lichen. I have another unprintable name for them.

Is this the Seagrim lake you were on? http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/popular_parks/eastern/nopiming.html

That looks like a detachable yoke to me with metal clamps? Does it mesh well with your pack canoe?. I have a RapidFire and want to use the same sort of setup but don't know how the metal L brackets will bite into the infused gunwales.

Thank you for the TR and making the effort to tweak it. All is well and relax!

Another awesome TR and superb photos Ice. Despite the rough weather at times, isn't it glorious to see these places in their different moods, lake surface mirroring blue sky one day, grey and thrashing the next? Thanks for working through the posting issues Ice, and sharing your trip with us.

The font is fine now Icedragonmx! Thank you! Oh those lichen that you weren't sure of the name? I've heard of them called Leather Lichen. I have another unprintable name for them.
Is this the Seagrim lake you were on? http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/popular_parks/eastern/nopiming.html
That looks like a detachable yoke to me with metal clamps? Does it mesh well with your pack canoe?. I have a RapidFire and want to use the same sort of setup but don't know how the metal L brackets will bite into the infused gunwales.
Thank you for the TR and making the effort to tweak it. All is well and relax!

I had one bad fall on the wet rocks while setting up camp and I may have used the same name then! Lol Thanks

Mihun09 has the right link for the Seagrim Route and the Rabbit River run is just 5min away too. Those two and the Caddy lake run are great weekend adventures!

The detachable yoke is great. I needed to coat the metal clamp with a rubber tape to make it stick better to the CF rails. Will be redoing that in hockey tape to make it last longer before the corners poke out. I can loosen just one side and slide it out while pulling the canoe side wider with my fingers/thumb on the edge of the yoke. It is a 2lb item! Wish they made a carbon fiber one. Works great after a few trips.

I think I need a better computer that wont give me so much grief when I am trying to do anything! Been rough trying to do anything online with the new system upgrade. Time for me to upgrade! Cheers

Another awesome TR and superb photos Ice. Despite the rough weather at times, isn't it glorious to see these places in their different moods, lake surface mirroring blue sky one day, grey and thrashing the next? Thanks for working through the posting issues Ice, and sharing your trip with us.

Makes for a great trip with the more interesting weather! The lightning did have my attention as I felt very exposed while being on the lake watching the show. Sat there for an hour waiting for it to blow past me. Glad you can enjoy the pictures, makes it way better to be able to see some of the sights. I do like when the wind is behind me, much better than fighting the headwinds, Lol

Just adding a pic of the Yoke and how it sits on the Kee15. I had to drill the holes in closer to the center to allow for the narrow hull and the coating/tape on the metal clamps help a huge amount with stopping it from slipping.

DetachableYoke_zpsc693ce90.jpg

And a better one of the map I hope...

SeagrimsLakeSystem_zps4f584bef.jpg

Coating/tape? I have not used my detachable yoke yet on my infused gunwales ( I see yours are aluminum). I coated the metal with plastic spray..rubberized. Hope it helps grip without too much pressure on the gunwale.

Coating/tape? I have not used my detachable yoke yet on my infused gunwales ( I see yours are aluminum). I coated the metal with plastic spray..rubberized. Hope it helps grip without too much pressure on the gunwale.

The bare metal bracket will leave marks in the kevlar/carbon fiber. My rails are a foamcore carbonfiber and the slippery finish provided very little grip with the bare aluminum brackets. After taping them, the yoke stays in place way better! A rubberized plastic spray should work great, what one did you use?

Thanks for taking the time to fix things up. I appreciate it.

I always like a good Loon photo. Great report.

Plasti-Dip works great as a no slip coating. A few light coats are better than one heavy one. I use it on my clamp on yoke.

Back