To the contrary Bob... the original builders of these canoes may not have had 75+ years of service in mind, but everything on these canoes is replaceable. No reason it can't go another 75 once you're finished- presuming a modicum of care in storage. It's usually poor storage rather than abuse on the water which kills these! That and the dreaded 1/2 canoe bookshelf makers!!
Your project looks great. Whose filler and paint do you have in mind?
Thanks Pat. My mentor/friend and semiretired builder uses Gluvit (waterproof epoxy sealer) and west systems thickener to make it sandable. Given the time of year and mostly unheated space, I think it would be my best choice. I can keep it warm enough to kick off and it will cure much quicker than any traditional filler.
I will go with Interlux or Kirby paint. Thinking a dark red or blue.
Those ribs look great, nice work. The planking is super neat too. I never used Gluvit on my canoes but I helped my friend Bob apply it to a few canoes at Schuyler's shop back when, fast drying and very nice finished surface.
I have seen a freshly finished 50lb'er, beautiful canoe.
I took advantage of the warmer weather today and gave it a good scrubbing out. The stripped hull sitting in my wood shop for a long time had built up quite a bit of crud that compressed air and a tack rag wouldn’t lift. I am hoping to do a little wood tone matching and varnish soon.
Thanks Pat. It has been a good learning experience. The next one will be easier. I was a bit ambitious on this one- it was a wreck. There are a couple areas I wish came out better, but hopefully aren’t too noticeable when completed.
Yes, looking forward to a dedicated solo and my two packs should fit nicely.
First coat of varnish thinned by 25% per manufacture instructions. Using Totalboat Gleam varnish. I really like how the maple decks look and am pleased with how the Norway Spruce inwales match. My stain matching the new wood went fine on the ribs, but to be honest I wish I left the planking alone. It looks ok, but wasn’t worth the effort.
Third coat on. Since I can keep the shop around 70 today, I’ll be able to get one more coat on later today. After it sits a few days I will sand it with 320 and one last coat. I’ve been using red scotchbrite between coats so far.
One end to go, but another day. This wasn’t fun with carpel tunnel, but the pneumatic stapler helped. I can see how someone could get good at this after years of practice, but it has been one of the more challenging aspects of the restoration for me so far. I am happy with how it is turning out.
Bob, I've been meaning to compliment you on your canvas job. It looks great. I have only canvassed once, and it went much better than I had anticipated. I found that part of the project was very gratifying and not nearly as difficult as I anticipated. Your canoe looks great, and I look forward to seeing that "See Red" paint job!
I decided to go with traditional Kirby filler. I had a warm day to work on it today and am in no rush to paint it. I believe there is still over a foot of ice on local lakes. I am going back and forth on the color. I am tempted to go with a two tone look, but have time to think about it. I plan on spraying it since I have the equipment and that makes a more complicated paint scheme much easier.
It sure was nice to have the shop doors and windows open without freezing.